Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to Dallas - Joe Pool Lake
Quote | Reply
Moving to Dallas area, quite close to Cedar Hill State Park/Joe Pool Lake swim area. Saw on the website that the swimming beach is closed till 2022. Does anyone on here frequent this lake? It's going to be fewer than 5 miles from my apartment and I was looking forward to year-round OWS opportunity. Any location tips for riding would be appreciated, too. Any tri/swim/cycling groups I should be aware of in the Cedar Hill area?

Thanks in advance for any gouge!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Dallas - Joe Pool Lake [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about swim opportunities, but great biking opportunities south of Cedar Hill ... East of 67 has endless roads to ride going south. Lake Ridge Parkway is a solid effort and has some punchy hills off of it. Local bike race check out the rout to get an idea www.cedarhillracefestival.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Meags7 said, great area for riding. I live in Dallas and I often drive to cedar hill and ride from there. the swimming area near lakeview camping is closed but there's another swim area at boat ramp 1
https://goo.gl/maps/5eduUa9RycyTbZQi6
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Dallas - Joe Pool Lake [march] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much obliged, thanks for the link for the alternate swimming area. Excited to swim year-round outdoors.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
march wrote:
Like Meags7 said, great area for riding. I live in Dallas and I often drive to cedar hill and ride from there. the swimming area near lakeview camping is closed but there's another swim area at boat ramp 1
https://goo.gl/maps/5eduUa9RycyTbZQi6

That's where the company, Tri-Now holds Cedar Hill triathlon(Oly/Sprint) and Aquathlon every year. It's a great spot for OWS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Much obliged, thanks for the link for the alternate swimming area. Excited to swim year-round outdoors.

Not so sure about the "YEAR ROUND" bit. I can't really imagine OW swimming in Dec/Jan/Feb. It does actually get kinda cold here during those three months. I'm sure the water temp is manageable with a wetsuit...but, the air temp does get down into the 20s/30s particularly in Jan and early Feb.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Dallas - Joe Pool Lake [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm speaking in broad terms. I have swam in some very cold conditions. If there's the odd 60/sunny day with 55 water temp, I'll jump in (with a kayaker) for 20-30 minutes.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough---We certainly get the odd nice spring day in the middle of winter.

I'm on the north-east side of the metroplex (McKinney ish). I've been down to that area to do some hill / trail running...but, never swum in THAT lake. Its a nice area.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Dallas - Joe Pool Lake [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. Just got here last week. Did a Cycling loop around the lake. Roads are a bit busier and tougher than what I’m used to from Maryland. I’ll have to check out the more remote roads mentioned, south of me and east of 67.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever swam across this lake? Looks like a fun early fall challenge.

also rule 5
Quote Reply