Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
naaa... im good. perfectly fine with my premier branded rear pulleys and chainring. and for a substantial difference in price, and equal performance im sure.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing through [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fixed the title for you
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting design. Doubt this eats into any market-share for CeramicSpeed. It's priced more towards SLF motion and probably eats into that potential market. But the design just screams chain jump.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s notable that they don’t list what the watt savings is. Leads one to believe that there isn’t much/any, especially since they bother to quantify less meaningful values like drivetrain noise.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The novelty in the design appears to be suspending the upper jockey in a rubber damper to make it very compliant. To ensure the jockey wheel isn't too active within the suspension they have then set the tension of the whole system extremely low so that the derailleur itself moves under strain rather than just the jockey wheel. I can see how the low tension combined with rubber damper would reduce noise and not impact shift quality when set up perfectly out of the box. My suspicion is that things would deteriorate rapidly from there.

In terms of overall efficiency it will all come down to how much is lost by the upper wheel moving around in the elastomer due to road vibration and chain line. I am sure you could design a lab test rig which minimizes the impact of the elastomer and therefore shows a significant improvement but if you repeated the test under slightly different conditions the results would be significantly different. When it comes to both chains and freehubs the general rule is that noisy does not mean inefficient. Sound isn't indicative of large energy losses as its friction (heat) that is really the enemy. You can make just about any chain or freehub quiet by absolutely packing it with thick grease but that doesn't make the system faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they're banking on sales being a result of the high price, pretty colours and mystical power of dimples. The arguments for drive train friction reduction and aerodynamic drag reduction/equivalence are just filler, to help prospective customers, attracted by the price and pretty colours, to justify the purchase to themselves and their critics.

If this product cost less than a Dura-Ace pulley set and looked pedestrian, it's probable no-one would buy it - even if the benefit/performance claims were identical. They're seeking credibility and desirablility via pricing and cosmetics IMO. Not a new concept, but still a frustratingly cynical one.
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, i wouldn't buy either one.

It's pretty and the price is insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to admit this is pretty compelling:

The HollowCage is "the only cage that can dynamically adapt to the variable chainline, minimising friction at the lower pulley”

So it must be better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It certainly is the better looking OSP in the market and by a good margin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no structural engineer and I wasn't a geometry major in high school, but if I'm in the 52/11 and thus my chain is as "not straight" as it gets, the overall lateral articulation seems to be the same (i.e. the chain needs to directly underneath the 11T cog at the bottom of the upper pulley and then from there it eventually needs to move laterally to meet the chainring).

With a 100% stiff RD cage, all that articulation occurs between the bottom of the lower pulley and the chainring.

With a flexible cage, presumably some of that articulation occurs between the two pulley wheels, with the rest same as above (between the bottom of the lower pulley and the chainring).

But in each case the total lateral movement of the chain is the same, it's just that with the stiff cage, there is a "straight" phase followed by a "crooked" phase, while with a flexible cage, you would have two "crooked" phases:

If we apply some numbers solely for the sake of example (i.e. I doubt these are "to scale") let's make two assumptions:

(1) Chain needs to move 12mm laterally in the 52/11
(2) Looking at the path of the chain from the bottom of the upper pulley to the chainring (the path where the chain needs to move laterally), the chain spends 1/6 of this journey "in the pulleys" (i.e. between the bottom of the upper pulley and the bottom of the lower pulley) (Phase 1) and 5/6 of its time from the bottom of the lower pulley to the chainring (Phase 2)

With a stiff cage, the chain will not move laterally during Phase 1 and will see all of its 12mm lateral movement occur during Phase 2. So 0mm deflection for Phase 1 and all 12mm deflection for Phase 2.

Assuming a perfectly flexible cage, you will have 2mm deflection for Phase 1 and the remaining 10mm deflection for Phase 2.

So really it's a question of whether it's better to "smooth out" the lateral deflection with a flexible cage, but at the same time increasing the duration during which the chain has to bend, or whether it's better to keep the chain straight a bit longer (i.e. perfectly straight during Phase 1) at the expense of more lateral deflection during Phase 2.

My gut is that the flexible cage scenario is marginally better, but I question whether it's measurable given the offsetting loss of having the chain deflect for a longer period of time.

I bought one anyways.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like a cycling equivalent to a window on a PC and rainbow LED lights inside. Or a fart can exhaust and sheet metal wing riveted to the trunk.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jul 20, 21 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I bought one anyways.

Please post a picture when you can...I'd like to see it
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
My gut is that the flexible cage scenario is marginally better, but I question whether it's measurable given the offsetting loss of having the chain deflect for a longer period of time.

I bought one anyways.

The most epic, instant classic quote of slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Rode it for the first time this morning. Here is my almost entirely worthless review, and I say "almost" only because I have only one small piece of advise to offer.

Worthless Review:
No idea of installation procedure. My mechanic installed it. But he didn't cuss at me or side eye me when I picked up my bike, so couldn't have been that bad. No idea whether it's aero or reduces drivetrain friction. I am of the belief that I cannot "feel" any such differences, and to be honest, I also believe no human can "feel" a difference either. Shifting is fine, I didn't perceive any difference. Mind you, I swapped from a CeramicSpeed OSPW, not the stock cage. Sound? I swap bikes fairly often, so not uncommon that I will ride 3 different bikes in a week of 5-6 rides, and I had not ridden the bike with the Hollowcage in a couple weeks before this morning, so I can't say I have a solid "baseline" to compare against. With that, the Hollowcage didn't seem to intoduce any additional noise into my drivetrain, and indeed may have been quieter. Maybe we'll see a YouTube video soon with someone measuring sound with a DB meter - I would trust that more anyways.

Unsolicited Advice:
I ordered the Hollowcage for my SystemSix, which is all black. So I chose the black lockring option. If I had to do it over again, I would choose the rainbow option or if on another bike, a color that complements that bike's paint. The black is rather "meh" IMHO. See for yourself, with the caveat that beauty is in the eye of the beholder f course:

Last edited by: refthimos: Aug 26, 21 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing, I think it looks great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome and look forward to hearing more.

I've had a number of AbsoluteBlack products since 2015 and have been impressed. Zero issues.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't speak to the Absolute Black one, but i've used bother Ceramic Speed and a $40 knock off from Aliexpress and they perform the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [TravelLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have some sort of bench test setup? No one (absolutely zero) can feel the marginal gains of these things.
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [TravelLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting to know how much savings for OSPW comes from the larger pulleys and how much from the ceramic bearings. I'm guessing the lion's share is the larger diameter pulleys, which is why an Ali Express version (with lower quality bearings than CS) still performs well.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Rode it for the first time this morning. Here is my almost entirely worthless review, and I say "almost" only because I have only one small piece of advise to offer.

Worthless Review:
No idea of installation procedure. My mechanic installed it. But he didn't cuss at me or side eye me when I picked up my bike, so couldn't have been that bad. No idea whether it's aero or reduces drivetrain friction. I am of the belief that I cannot "feel" any such differences, and to be honest, I also believe no human can "feel" a difference either. Shifting is fine, I didn't perceive any difference. Mind you, I swapped from a CeramicSpeed OSPW, not the stock cage. Sound? I swap bikes fairly often, so not uncommon that I will ride 3 different bikes in a week of 5-6 rides, and I had not ridden the bike with the Hollowcage in a couple weeks before this morning, so I can't say I have a solid "baseline" to compare against. With that, the Hollowcage didn't seem to intoduce any additional noise into my drivetrain, and indeed may have been quieter. Maybe we'll see a YouTube video soon with someone measuring sound with a DB meter - I would trust that more anyways.

Unsolicited Advice:
I ordered the Hollowcage for my SystemSix, which is all black. So I chose the black lockring option. If I had to do it over again, I would choose the rainbow option or if on another bike, a color that complements that bike's paint. The black is rather "meh" IMHO. See for yourself, with the caveat that beauty is in the eye of the beholder f course:
Does it remind anyone else of one of those people that have been stretching out their earlobe for an eternity and now has that massive hole with a grommet installed or is it just me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the long extension on the derailleur that bolts it to the mech hanger? Is that something to allow larger cassette range with a short cage mech? 1x?
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Does it remind anyone else of one of those people that have been stretching out their earlobe for an eternity and now has that massive hole with a grommet installed or is it just me?

Yup. All that's missing is the man bun and a hand-roll.

Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

YES!!! It's been bugging me since I saw this product first, but I couldn't figure out what this reminds me of. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the savings from the ceramic speed standard replacement pulleys, compared to the full OPSW, it seems to be about 57/43 in favor of the pulley size (1 watt saved going to 15/17 from 11/11, and 0.75watt saved going ceramic on the same 11/11 setup). Having said that, a design like this with such a large bearing diameter on the lower pulley actually increases overall system friction compared to something like the Ceramicspeed OPSW. This is partly why the Alibaba ones seem pretty decent, even if the bearings aren't the best, they are operating over a very small diameter, so as long as they are clean and not tightly sealed or overly packed with grease, there just isn't all that much harm they can do. Making the bearing inner race very large effectively gives the friction a much longer lever arm over which to act, so say it takes 0.01N of force to push the balls through the grease, that resolves as a torque which is force at distance.. so you would much rather have that force acting at 2.5mm from the centerline than at 15mm from the centerline

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan The Man wrote:
What's the long extension on the derailleur that bolts it to the mech hanger? Is that something to allow larger cassette range with a short cage mech? 1x?

Direct mount RD hanger. Various models available here. I'm not sponsored/affiliated.

Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Looking at the savings from the ceramic speed standard replacement pulleys, compared to the full OPSW, it seems to be about 57/43 in favor of the pulley size (1 watt saved going to 15/17 from 11/11, and 0.75watt saved going ceramic on the same 11/11 setup). Having said that, a design like this with such a large bearing diameter on the lower pulley actually increases overall system friction compared to something like the Ceramicspeed OPSW. This is partly why the Alibaba ones seem pretty decent, even if the bearings aren't the best, they are operating over a very small diameter, so as long as they are clean and not tightly sealed or overly packed with grease, there just isn't all that much harm they can do. Making the bearing inner race very large effectively gives the friction a much longer lever arm over which to act, so say it takes 0.01N of force to push the balls through the grease, that resolves as a torque which is force at distance.. so you would much rather have that force acting at 2.5mm from the centerline than at 15mm from the centerline

Thx for the data. Didn’t think the split would be so even.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Dan The Man wrote:

Direct mount RD hanger. Various models available here. I'm not sponsored/affiliated.

Not buying the Cervelo one, if it can't open a beer bottle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:

Worthless Review:

Unsolicited Advice:

So... I need to update my review after my second ride. Whether this second review is similarly worthless or not - you can decide.

TLDR: On second ride (first one at more than recovery/coffee pace), chain derailed from the bottom pulley wheel while in large group at high speed. I'm skeptical of the Hollowcage design, and have already pulled if from my bike and put the Ceramicspeed OSPW back in its place.

First Ride OK: My first ride with the Hollowcage was on August 26. A very easy (145W NP) 22.61 mile ride (Strava link here). No issues.

Second Ride not OK: Next ride with the Hollowcage was on September 4 (Strava link here) and was intended to be a fast group ride. While riding in a large group on PCH in Los Angeles, my drivetain seized up. I looked down and the chain was hanging like a chain drop. But my chain remained on the big ring. Once I was able to come to a stop, I could see that the chain had derailed off the lower pulley wheel:

In case you are asking yourself, wait a second, you didn't ride the Hollowcage between Aug 26 and Sep 4, that's correct - between the 2 rides on the SystemSix/Hollowcage, I did 4 rides on my EVO Disc and 2 Zwift rides on the KICKR Bike. If any ST investigators would like the .FIT files for these rides, I am happy to provide them.

As you can see from the photo above, the small "retaining tab" was intact. In order to limp home, I sat on the side of the road until I was finally able to shove the chain past the retaining tab and back onto the lower jockey wheel. In the process, I broke the tab:

Absolute Black Response: I emailed AB with my experience, contrasting my tens of thousands of miles on Ceramicspeed OSPWs over multiple bikes and never having this issue with the 36 miles it took for the Hollowcage to fail. I requested a refund, noting that I was not comfortable riding or selling the Hollowcage to a fellow rider. Absolute Black responded that no refund would be issued, as the Hollowcage was used, and instead sent me a replacement cage just a couple days later. Whether that's unacceptable or fantastic customer service - I'll let you decide. From my perspective, I have a $699 product that is not suitable for riding, at least not until I'm confident my experience was not a freak incident and not indicative of a design flaw.

Design Flaw?: The Hollowcage certainly looks cool, but does it do so at the expense of functionality? I don't know the answer, but given my experience, I think it's a fair question. Compare a stock Dura-Ace derailleur cage with the Hollowcage and a Ceramicspeed OSPW:

When pedaling, the chain contacts the lower pulley wheel where indicated with the blue arrow, before it makes its way through the pulleys to the cassette. The DA and Ceramicspeed cages (and every other RD cage) have extended "guides" that surround the chain to keep it on the lower pulley. Critically (IMO) with a "typical" RD cage, the guide extends to where the chain first meets the lower pulley. The Hollowcage, on the other hand, has no such "guide" (well other than the small tab but even that is not positioned where the chain meets the lower pulley) and so if for whatever reason tension is lost and the chain hops off the lower part of the lower pulley, it's going to derail. That's my theory anyways, based on my admittedly n=1 experience.

I'll be curious to see if others have a similar experience. I hope not, but I can't help but think it's likely that Absolute Black will need to redesign the cage to include a more traditional lower pulley "guide" for the chain.

Last edited by: refthimos: Sep 15, 21 20:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i really appreciate this review.

at the pricepoint for this sort of item, this thing should be flawless. there should be no possibility of a consumer having this sort of problem.

the thing looks like it belongs on a tron bike, ill give it that though.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you’re just a hobbiest cyclist - but this feels like a super damning review

I was debating buying one, just because it looks different, but this review makes me simply not want to buy.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I know you’re just a hobbiest cyclist - but this feels like a super damning review

I'm just relaying my admittedly brief but unsuccessful history with the Hollowcage. I hope my experience is an outlier, but given the design of the cage, I suspect it may not be.

I run 1x on my TT bike. I first ran just a narrow/wide chainring, then later added the Aerocoach chain guide (both helped), but it wasn't until I switched to a clutched rear derailleur (first the Ultegra RX-805 and now Red AXS) that I was able to eliminate chain drops (and the chain guide was no longer needed).

The Hollowcage is relying on the narrow/wide teeth of the lower pulley wheel (and I would think, cage tension) for chain retention, but critically (IMO) not a clutched RD. My sense is that the current design might work just fine with a clutched RD, and might well eliminate the chain derailment I experienced, just as a clutched RD eliminated chain drops on my 1x TT bike. But the Hollowcage is currently available only for Dura-Ace 9100/8000 RDs, which are non-clutch RDs.

Last edited by: refthimos: Sep 16, 21 12:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That extra large diameter bearing design is not what an engineer who is concerned at all about friction would use....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If oversized pulleys actually worked then Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo would have them as standard. They don't.
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
If oversized pulleys actually worked then Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo would have them as standard. They don't.

That's not at all how it works. There are lots of ways manufacturers could make their products but don’t, and there are dozens of valid reasons for that. There is no need for Shimano to increase their mfg cost if it won't mean extra sales. And I bet no one is choosing groupsets based on pulley wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with an SLF Motion system. It’s definitely cheaper than that Absolute Black system, there’s two different SLF systems available right now, and I’m sure if you “traded in” that AB system you would get some sort of discount or credit.. I’m willing to bet it’s much more durable than Ceramic Speed, too!

https://slfmotion.com/...ons/evo-speed-system
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [jaja518] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently went with a Nova Ride OSPW, which is French made and has sealed full ceramic bearings (so both races and balls) for a fairly reasonable price, a bit under 250 Euro.
Quote Reply
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

that depends on your definition of "work" - they do work to reduce frictional losses, to some debatable amount.
the reason why they're not standard is that they do not work as well to provide smooth reliable shifting which is what the mainstream manufacturers (especially shimano) prioritise, since that is what most consumers prioritise.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [BDodig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDodig wrote:
I recently went with a Nova Ride OSPW, which is French made and has sealed full ceramic bearings (so both races and balls) for a fairly reasonable price, a bit under 250 Euro.

'Reasonable price'..when compared to the 'are you on drugs, drunk, been hit on the head, totally crazy, pulling my leg, have to be kidding me, no offing way' price of the Ceramic speed OSPW....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi @refthimos it's absoluteBLACK here.
We just wanted to clarify a few things for the rest of the forum members. As per our response to your email, the pictures of your bike which you sent us (before the damage to our cage) make it immediately obvious that the chain length and the B gap adjustment to the cassette sprocket on your bike were completely incorrect. Those are main factors that caused the chain drop from lower pulley and then subsequent damage to the part of the cage while you were trying to insert the chain back on the lower pulley without opening the chain. Too long chain in any ospw will cause trouble as the cage is not at the proper tension.
Moreover, you are using an aftermarket DM hanger which further increases the risk of issues with the rear derailleur

We have also came across an Instagram profile of @refthimos which we assume belongs to you (the actual name and location checks out also ) The post from 25th of July 2020 is showing a snapped Ceramic Speed OSPW cage in half, which you told us, you never had any problems with. Judging by the way it snapped and the chain position, it was pulled into the back wheel which, in most cases, is a result of incorrect RD adjustment and too long chain.

Regardless of all the above, and the fact that this was installation/user error, we have immediately sent you a replacement MonoCage, FREE of charge so you can continue using our HOLLOWcage.

I hope this clarifies a bit better the situation. We have extensively tested our product for over two years including riding on the cobble stones. Yes, the design is nothing you have seen before but we made sure it works providing the correct setup which we detailed on our website. We understand you may be upset that this happened on the second ride but no matter how we look at it, it was incorrectly mounted and this was the result of it.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [absoluteBLACKcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly hope this clears things up. It was generous that you provide a new one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
absoluteBLACKcc wrote:
We just wanted to clarify a few things for the rest of the forum members. As per our response to your email, the pictures of your bike which you sent us (before the damage to our cage) make it immediately obvious that the chain length and the B gap adjustment to the cassette sprocket on your bike were completely incorrect. Those are main factors that caused the chain drop from lower pulley and then subsequent damage to the part of the cage while you were trying to insert the chain back on the lower pulley without opening the chain. Too long chain in any ospw will cause trouble as the cage is not at the proper tension.
Moreover, you are using an aftermarket DM hanger which further increases the risk of issues with the rear derailleur

We have also came across an Instagram profile of @refthimos which we assume belongs to you (the actual name and location checks out also ) The post from 25th of July 2020 is showing a snapped Ceramic Speed OSPW cage in half, which you told us, you never had any problems with. Judging by the way it snapped and the chain position, it was pulled into the back wheel which, in most cases, is a result of incorrect RD adjustment and too long chain.

Regardless of all the above, and the fact that this was installation/user error, we have immediately sent you a replacement MonoCage, FREE of charge so you can continue using our HOLLOWcage.

I hope this clarifies a bit better the situation. We have extensively tested our product for over two years including riding on the cobble stones. Yes, the design is nothing you have seen before but we made sure it works providing the correct setup which we detailed on our website. We understand you may be upset that this happened on the second ride but no matter how we look at it, it was incorrectly mounted and this was the result of it.

This must be the 'Comeback of the Year' :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh oh...Need to continue checking this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
absoluteBLACKcc wrote:

Hahahah I love this place
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TLDR: If you provide an installation video that does not tell the consumer that "incorrect" chain length is critical/can cause a problem, while at the same time telling the consumer that their chain length should be fine if swapping from another OSPW, then it's hard to blame the consumer for an "incorrect" chain length that works just fine with their existing rear derailleur/cage.

Absolute Black's Installation Video: Here is the video that you provide to customers entitled "How to Mount absoluteBLACK HOLLOWcage"

https://www.youtube.com/...zIRvvcvNr4s&t=4s

Here is what you say about chain length in the installation video:

"Keep in mind if you're swapping from a short cage of Shimano Dura-Ace or Shimano Ultegra cage, in those cases you will most likely have to extend the chain for two to three links for the optimal performance. If you're swapping from a long cage or from any other brands that are using oversized pulley wheels, in those cases the chain length normally remains the same."

That's everything on chain length. Based on your own video, it seems reasonable that a consumer would conclude that the same chain length that works well with the Ceramicspeed OSPW will work with the Hollowcage.

I now see that there is a separate video on your website re: chain length. I don't recall seeing that before - was that added or was it always there? In any case, I was not aware of that video, and if chain length is so critical (apparently, rather unique to the Hollowcage, since we'll contrast my experience with Ceramicspeed in just a bit), why doesn't the installation video make any mention of this? If you're going to provide an installation video, at a minimum you need to tell consumers that they need to also find and watch your second video regarding chain length. Though as a friendly suggestion (again, if chain length is so critical), I think combining the two videos (so that consumers need only watch one installation video) would be best.

From a consumer perspective, I don't think it's unreasonable that, after watching the official Absolute Black installation video, the consumer can conclude they've been told everything they need to know to install the product correctly.

Hollowcage More Sensitive to Chain Length: Let's go ahead and stipulate that my chain length was longer than what you demonstrate in your second video (BTW your main installation video shows up on YouTube but for whatever reason the second chain length video does not). [EDIT: See post below, and this video; as it turns out, the chain length was fine (at least according to AB's own video on the subject) /EDIT]. That tells me that the Hollowcage is much more "sensitive" to chain length than a stock RD cage or a Ceramicspeed OSPW. I ordered my first two Ceramicspeed OSPWs in Dec 2015 and have had them on all my bikes (road and TT) since then. As of today, I have a little over 50,000 miles on the Ceramicspeed OSPW, without encountering the chain derailing from the lower pulley wheel. But it took 36 miles for this to happen with the Hollowcage. This to me underscores that if chain length is really that critical with the Hollowcage, you should ensure consumers are aware of that fact.

Instagram Post: As far as the Instagram post you dug up, while I applaud the ST Sleuthing involved, that was a 9000 series DA RD, which as I'm sure you know features a completely different design from the 9100 series DA RD. I worked with Ceramicspeed to diagnose the cause of that failure, and it had nothing to do with chain length - in fact at no time did Ceramicspeed even inquire about my chain length. Everything was resolved without any drama or issues, as evidenced by the fact that I continue to use their product.

Yes, I Broke the Retaining Tab: I try to be pretty upfront about product failures, including my role in them. I noted that the retaining tab only broke after I had to force the chain back into the cage to limp home (I don't carry a chain tool with me, as I don't think I've broken a chain while riding in at least the last 10 years). I blew up an Enve wheel and posted about it here on Slowtwitch, volunteering that I did not use Enve tubeless tape but instead Silca tape. Since that incident, Enve modified its website to require the use of its tape and even introduced a new product - their Pressure Relief Valve Stem Nut - to protect against similar failures. When I cracked a Knot 64 rim on the same SystemSix used with the Hollowcage, I didn't submit a warranty claim or anything like that, instead I provided my LBS and Cannondale a slowmo video showing the big piece of metal that caused the failure. In other words, I'm not a "JRA" type unless, well, I really was JRA.

An Honest Question Re: the Retaining Tab: While I'm not an engineer or component designer, why is the retaining tab placed where it is (i.e. more or less in the middle of the contact area between the lower pulley and the chain?) Wouldn't placing it closer to where the chain contacts the lower pulley be better for retaining contact between the chain and the lower pulley wheel? Since the retaining tab is so small (compared to the retaining "sub cage" found on every other RD cage) presumably you believe the the narrow/wide lower pulley wheels and RD cage tension are sufficient to keep the chain from derailing, but in that case, why even include the retaining tab? It seems that you either need a retaining tab/sub-cage or you don't, and so I would expect to either see that piece moved closer to the initial contact point or removed entirely.

Another Honest Question re: Direct Mount Hanger: What is it about a direct mount hanger that will cause issues with the Hollowcage? I see nothing on your website or videos mentioning direct mount hangers. If the Hollowcage is incompatible with direct mount hangers or if there is something the consumer should do differently with a direct mount hanger, you should make this known.

Avoiding Future Failures: I hope you consider my suggestion to modify your installation video to include whatever instructions are needed regarding chain length, so that the consumer is aware of this requirement. If everyone purchasing the Hollowcage is made aware of that requirement and if chain length does indeed resolve chain retention, I will be more than happy, as that will allow me to pass along my Hollowcage to another rider - and in the end, as a cycling enthusiast, I want bike companies and their products to succeed rather than fail. For now though, I think for me it's best to wait and see while the Hollowcage remains in a parts box.

Last edited by: refthimos: Sep 23, 21 14:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure that is assuming you had the chain length and b-screw correct the first time, which based on insta wasn’t the case.

Furthermore, they didn’t say should be fine, they said normally stays the same. Not the same thing. That doesn’t mean you say f it and keep it the same length cause it’s normally the same. You go in with the assumption that it probably won’t need to change it you measure the same way you’re supposed to validate.

No where does it say yeah you’ll be good just move it over with the same chain length.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did say he had his mechanic install it. So, the question is did he make sure the mechanic would take care to properly understand how to install this part for likely the first time. But that also means the mechanic is the one who left it with an improperly setup B screw. So, maybe he should be looking for a new mechanic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
Sure that is assuming you had the chain length and b-screw correct the first time, which based on insta wasn’t the case.

Just to be clear, you can tell from the Instagram photo that the chain length and b-screw weren't correct? As I noted, Ceramicspeed did not raise this as a concern.

Grantbot21 wrote:
Furthermore, they didn’t say should be fine, they said normally stays the same. Not the same thing. That doesn’t mean you say f it and keep it the same length cause it’s normally the same. You go in with the assumption that it probably won’t need to change it you measure the same way you’re supposed to validate.

No where does it say yeah you’ll be good just move it over with the same chain length.

The video says "the chain length normally remains the same" with no further commentary. What is the consumer supposed to do, guess all the scenarios in which normally doesn't apply? Is it really radical to suggest that if chain length is so critical, the installation video would instruct the consumer as to what chain length is required?

Since you've assumed you know my chain length was incorrect, I went ahead and pulled up the Absolute Black chain length video (I can't link directly to the video, but it's all the way at the bottom of the product webpage). It says to put the chain in the little chainring and the 3rd smallest cog (basically, as far down as Di2 will let you shift while in the small ring). On my bike, that's the 36/13 combo. It then says to set the chain length to where the chain "just becomes under tension." Well, here is my bike, same chain that derailed with the Hollowcage, in the 36/13 combo. As you can see, the chain is under tension. So it complies with the Absolute Black chain tension video. Which, I'll note again, is not even mentioned in the installation video.

https://vimeo.com/612890966

One other note: While Absolute Black recommends the lowest spring tension setting for my 52/36 11-28 drivetrain to minimize drivetrain loss, my mechanic is relatively conservative and since I use one of the two middle tension settings with the Ceramispeed OSPW, he used the middle tension setting on the Hollowcage. So it was installed with more spring tension than needed.

Last edited by: refthimos: Sep 23, 21 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically they took a ceramic bearing, made some teeth, and attached the teeth to the bearing itself. So what your buying is really just a ceramic bearing for a lot of extra money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back at you................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7VxFaLqC_g
Quote Reply
Post deleted by absoluteBLACKcc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why there would be any confusion. To be clear:

• Yes, same professional mechanic installed the Hollowcage as well as all of my Ceramicspeed OSPWs.
  • You stated that my chain length was obviously incorrect, yet I posted a video (https://vimeo.com/612890966) demonstrating that it's exactly the length you prescribe in your instruction video.
  • You continue to insist that you can diagnose a drivetrain issue from a single Instagram photo, despite the fact that Ceramicspeed diagnosed it completely differently. At least they didn't point to chain length, since mine is just as Absolute Black prescribes!
  • Your first response to this group was to state (quoting here) that my chain length was "obviously incorrect." But it was exactly what you prescribe in your video. So what now? The B-screw? If I really need to go take a photo, upload, and post here, I will, but it's rather tiresome after you initially tried to blame this on chain length, and that turns out to be baseless.
  • I wanted this product to work. I was an early adopter. You have my $699. I have a cage that's sitting in a parts box. While you seem 100% certain that my drivetrain was to blame (despite that your main claim has been debunked), I'm not 100% certain that your product is flawed; indeed, I'm actually willing to consider the possibility that my experience was a freak event, and if over time I see that others are not experiencing the same issue, I'll gift or sell the cage to a fellow rider. But for me, at this time, I wouldn't be comfortable passing it along to a fellow rider and then they have an incident like mine that goes badly.

BTW you also noted that using a direct mount derailleur hanger was a problem. Can you explain why this is the case? Is the Hollowcage incompatible with a DM hanger? If so, are you going to note this on your website?

Also, when I asked about the location of retaining tab on the cage, you said to put the drivetrain in the big chainring / largest cog and it would be apparent why the retaining tab is set where it is. But isn't chain tension at its highest in the big/big combo? If you're going to use a small retaining tab instead of the larger "retaining cage" that all other RDs use, wouldn't you set the tab in a position to be useful at a lower, rather than higher, chain tension?

Last edited by: refthimos: Sep 24, 21 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A video by Hambini about the Absolute Black OSPW.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Kay9Cop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm picking Hambini probably isn't ordering one for all of his bikes....
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

He's posted a video ripping it to pieces!

I know, he's a bit caustic, but I love that he's doing these videos
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

so entertaining. and lets be honest, its a piece of marketing hype that at best does nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50aGgDvqglI
Posted yesterday. Highlight blow torch to test 'ceramic bearing'.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After watching restrained Hambini (far more powerful) i am sort of bummed, I bought their Graphene lube after what I thought was appropriate due diligence from ZFC

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/...etail-review-1.2.pdf

Mostly to teach myself how to remove chain, do a wax or lube application, put chain back on which I’d never done before.

The low friction was appealing and especially the cleaner, none oily lube given hoe messy bikes get and I live in a flat.

After watching Hambini I feel like I’ve been taken to the cleaners even though ZFC essentially said it was a good lube.

These guys seem like scumbags
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their chain wax is by all accounts decent. Not sure why you'd conflate that with a completely different product.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Their chain wax is by all accounts decent. Not sure why you'd conflate that with a completely different product.

I just tend to not support companies that are dishonest.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Nov 2, 21 3:47
Re: Move over ceramic speed, Absoluteblack is passing by [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, when I put it up, there was no way I was buying this or any other OSPW.

I though it looked pretty and wanted to give people with extra cash something to spend it on. I thought this thread would be dead in a day.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
MattyK wrote:

I just tend to not support companies that are dishonest.

Sounds like you won’t be able to buy anything. Good luck finding any company (not just in the Tri world) that doesn’t argue for, advocate, make stretch claims and exaggerate right on the line of absurdity/dishonesty about the benefits of their product.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on Absolute Black Hollowcage [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it costs more than a Ceramic Speed OSPW and is not transparent about where their bearings come from...it's likely just a value extraction exercise and likely doesn't even work. Lol.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply