Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mounting tires on Enve wheels
Quote | Reply
I just mounted some Conti GP4kSII tires on a new set of Enve 7.8 wheels for a friend. That has to have been the most challenging bike maintenance task I'v ever done. I was sure I'd be snapping a tire lever and maybe breaking a rim in the process. Is there some trick or am I just spoiled having Zipps where the tire slips right on with no coercion necessary? That was f'ing brutal. She's completely screwed if she ever gets a flat while out on a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting tires on Enve wheels [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve got 4.5s with GP4000s and I’ve never had to use a tire lever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the trick is that being tubeless ready rims the rim bed is quite tight at the edge. however there is a channel down the middle. get the tyre bead down into that and it loosens up significantly.
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting tires on Enve wheels [rowancbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. This wasn't even close to being possible without a pair of levers. What year are your wheels? These are brand new.

rowancbrown wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had so much trouble I was on the phone w/ Enve, and the only trick they gave me was to squeeze the bead of the tire to the center of the rim strip, where the diameter of the rim the is the most narrow. That totally saved me. But similar situation, if my gf ever flats on those, her race is over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
every thread has this guy. Ignore him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They’re the new version, I also had the previous version which didn’t seem much different in terms of getting tires on. As above, working your way around the tire to get the second bead in the centre of the rim can help. What kind of rim tape do you have? Some is significantly thicker.
Last edited by: rowancbrown: May 18, 18 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting tires on Enve wheels [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
the trick is that being tubeless ready rims the rim bed is quite tight at the edge. however there is a channel down the middle. get the tyre bead down into that and it loosens up significantly.

This ^^ I struggled with my first time, and then realized as stated you need to get the bead to the middle of the rim. Then as you inflate it really "pops" into place. I thought about going tubeless, but have not yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
I just mounted some Conti GP4kSII tires on a new set of Enve 7.8 wheels for a friend. That has to have been the most challenging bike maintenance task I'v ever done. I was sure I'd be snapping a tire lever and maybe breaking a rim in the process. Is there some trick or am I just spoiled having Zipps where the tire slips right on with no coercion necessary? That was f'ing brutal. She's completely screwed if she ever gets a flat while out on a ride.

You need to invest $10 in a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rowancbrown wrote:

4.5s aren’t TLR. 7.8s are.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting tires on Enve wheels [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dumped the ENVE's as fast as I could as they are not going to provide a fast fix in a long distance triathlon...bought the NON tubeless compatible Zipp 858's...can change them STAT!!!!

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do it right, it's very easy. If you don't, it's nearly impossible.

I've got a set of tubeless-ready ENVE 3.4's. The central channel of the wheels is pretty deep for exactly this purpose. If you leave the bead over near the rim (outside the channel), it is nearly impossible to mount the tires. I HAVE snapped a tire lever doing this. I have felt your pain.

But if you put the bead in the central channel of the rim, it is extremely easy to mount the tires. On the road, I find them easier and quicker to mount than with my previous wheels. No levers and not much force with the fingers, either.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: May 18, 18 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting tires on Enve wheels [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
rowancbrown wrote:

4.5s aren’t TLR. 7.8s are.

correct.. as I own 2.2/4.5 and 7.8.. the 4.5 are the easy by far. Although non-tubeless tire is not that bad for me.. tubeless (only tried schwalbe) is a PITA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that explains it then. I knew these were TLR but didn't realize that had any implications for mounting regular tires and tubes. I guess I further screwed myself by using Velox cloth rim tape - not the thinnest option. Lesson learned. I still think she's screwed if she flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the 78s and have put both GP4000s and Conti TTs on without much trouble. Central channel is the most likely cause of your trouble, but definitely try a different tape next time. I use Stan's. I don't have my 78s set up tubeless, but I have Stan's on all my other wheels (mtb/CX) so I just had some around. Two layers, it's good tape.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tip is leave them in the sun befor trying. Makes it much easier.
Last edited by: Blacky: May 19, 18 1:54
Quote Reply