Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most Comfortable Frame Material?
Quote | Reply
All things being equal (geometry, wheels, etc.) what is the most comfortable frame material for long rides?

Carbon
Steel
Aluminum
Ti
Wood

If your answer has the name of an adult diaper involved, keep it to yourself.

Quote | Reply
Completely a matter of personal preference and typical ride distances. I used to PREFER a harsher ride. I liked to feel the buzz of the road and have a sense of feeling the contact as much as possible. To me the feeling of a somewhat harsh ride felt similar to driving a sports car with a stiff suspension - I liked the feedback it gave me. In fact, on a couple of occasions, I passed on more expensive carbon bikes in favor of less expensive aluminium options. That was 10 years ago. My older bones and joints have changed my mind completely today.

So you won't even get the same answer out of this one guy, let alone a bunch of people.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Comfortable Frame Material? [BigPuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can ask an unanswerable question, then say not to give the right answer. So I'll bite, it depends. What it depends on is the frame makers and designers intentions. If you have a preferred geometry and wheels, parts etc a good custom built bike can be comfortable when made with any material.

However, typically I'd say that comfort is most often found in this order. (Most to least)

Bamboo,
Wood,
Ti
Steel
Carbon
Aluminum

Mind you I'm talking todays frames, the first Carbon and Al frames were flexy as hell and very comfortable (meaning soaking up bumps). One caveat, Carbon,especially, can be made ungodly stiff, or very compliant these days, so know what a manufacturer is going for..

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would bet you can't discern the difference between steel, AL and Carbon given that 95+% of comfort comes from saddles, wheels and tires. Think of it this way, is a steel framed couch more comfortable than a wooden framed one? .... Or does it depend on the cushions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can God make a boulder to heavy for Him to pick up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are trolling aren't you?

serious answer anyway: materials are not inherently comfortable or not. carbon does allow for some engineering options that can provide comfort without sacrificing as much performance though.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Most Comfortable Frame Material? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Not trolling.
I'm looking to buy a road bike mainly for training volume. However, I always end up in the unintended realm when it comes to stuff like this and I might end up doing some bike racing some day. My wife is about to flip because every time I mention... well that's a post for the LR...

Anyway...

I just talked to a guy today out riding who was on a Ti bike. He said Ti was the "most comfortable" material (I know, I know. One dude on one bike). I rode his bike around a bit. Aside from the fact that it didn't really fit, I was coming off my P2, it had different wheels, saddle, road bars, etc. (same pedals as me, go figure) it seemed really comfy AND lively. It got me thinking.

I've ridden an R3 and RS Cervelo and both those bikes are super. I love the look of some of those wood bikes so.... I just didn't want to post another "which road bike should I buy" post.

Thanks.

Quote | Reply
you really have to control for wheels/tires/tubes/pressures when comparing bike handling/comfort.

sorta like you have to control for tires/pressures/alignment when comparing car handling. you will notice magazines never do that =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike design willplay a much larger role in frame comfort than material. Compare a Vitus to a Cannondale form the early 90's. Bot made form the same material...one was a wet noodle and the other rattled your fillings loose.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My most comfortable bike is my fat tube aluminum Klein. Also have steel and full carbon Probably different as a 58 me weighing 190 and same bike in a 52 someone weighing 110
Last edited by: Kenney: Jun 1, 11 20:14
Quote Reply
Re: Most Comfortable Frame Material? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
you really have to control for wheels/tires/tubes/pressures when comparing bike handling/comfort.

sorta like you have to control for tires/pressures/alignment when comparing car handling. you will notice magazines never do that =)

Assume they are all the same. Everything the same except frame material. And fork.

And before you get into carbon layups lets go with what they use for the R3.