Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most Aerodynamic - Cervelo, Softride, Kestrel?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any information on which frame designs are more aerodynamic - ones that partially shield the rear tire (Cervelo P3, Ceepo, etc.) or ones that don't have a seat tube (softride, kestrel airfoil)?
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aerodynamic - Cervelo, Softride, Kestrel? [eino1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here is a quote found on a page from the old Softride website:

"To prove, once again, that Softride is the most aerodynamic bike on the market we headed to the University of Washington Kirsten wind tunnel testing facilities. Comparative drag tests conducted by the University of Washington Aeronautical Laboratory (UWAL) tested what are considered to be the fastest aero bikes in the industry. The tested bikes included a Cervelo P3, Litespeed Blade, Trek Team Time Trial, and Softride FASTT7. All bikes were tested with the same rider, frame size, bike components, rider cadence, and a constant speed of 30 mph. Where did Softride end up? On top, of course! We came in 82 seconds faster than our nearest competitor, the Cervelo P3. Talk about maximized aerodynamics!"

http://www.softride.com/...dv/aerodynamics.html

Unfortunately, Softride no longer makes bikes but there is a bight side! TitanFlex is a much better product. I would suggest looking here:

http://www.titanflex-usa.com/compare.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zipp 2001 beats them all.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aerodynamic - Cervelo, Softride, Kestrel? [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
: )

I know!!! : )

Cervelos are fast...............Softrides are faster.........Zipps are fastest...........and the Lotus (Boardmans bike) beat them all.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aerodynamic - Cervelo, Softride, Kestrel? [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now, what's the fastest we can actually buy? I wonder... it seems we may have a new answer in about six days.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*just* boardman's bike, with the death-fork etc. all the production lotus'i < zipp 2001 I recall from some obscure post from josh, right?

just trying to remind everyone else on the board know that today's frame makers are scared to put their bikes in a tunnel versus a $700 frame from 1997! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question has always been (with the FasTT vs. Zipp), is the Softride just as fast if you fix the cable routing? I suspect the Zipp beam's mounting situation and beam shape give a several watt advantage over the Softride, but there is also the gigantic, non-aero shaped bottom half of the "down tube" that probably costs at least that many watts. My Zipp 2001 should be done in a few weeks, so we shall see then I guess. My P2 is torn down right now, but I suspect I will build it back up as well as a P3 during the winter to take to the tunnel in colorado late in the winter. It's going to be an all 650c shootout.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aerodynamic - Cervelo, Softride, Kestrel? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you alluding to Tom? Shall we prepare ourselves for a new "super" bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aerodynamic - Cervelo, Softride, Kestrel? [tsurfsnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P4C in 6 days at the tour...
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aerodynamic - Cervelo, Softride, Kestrel? [tsurfsnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
July 5th = first stage of the Tour which = all the new "top secret" toys from the frame sponsors ........

Quote | Reply
If you would like to buy my Softride so you can conduct some studies it is posted in the classifieds.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aerodynamic - Cervelo, Softride, Kestrel? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be a bit longer as there is no prologue TT, so I think stage 5 or so will be the first chance to see a new TT/Tri bike...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where does the Cheetah fall in that stack?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Tom's post, what we can buy now! BTY, how did the Kestrel ( something we can buy now) fair?
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aerodynamic - Cervelo, Softride, Kestrel? [Runcasey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the kestrel test in mid range of all bike...a bit better than a kalibur but no where near the top 4-5 bike on of industrie.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply