More proof that OWS is completely different from the pool
Quote | Reply
Or not. ;-)

https://swimswam.com/...l-champion-in-miami/

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: More proof that OWS is completely different from the pool [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Wilmovsky (sp?) has said in multiple interviews that he almost never trains in anything other than a pool.

I wonder how much time he spends debating whether or not his drills are in fact drills?
Quote Reply
Re: More proof that OWS is completely different from the pool [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would venture to guess that most OWS swimmers swim in pool the majority of the time. That doesn't mean there isn't something to OWS. Some swimmers swim much better in OWS than the pool, some swim much worse, some are neutral. Guy is fastest guy in the pool at 1500, I would say that is pretty good credentials to swim a 10K open water race but still doesn't tell us much about his ability to swim in OWS vs not. Would like to see someones analysis though with some deltas and expected pool times to open water times.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Setting aside pack swimming and the ability to deal with chop. I've always assumed the difference is peoples ability to swim straight and site.

It's an easy test... In the pool, swim with your eyes closed whenever your face is in the water. Only site so you know where the wall is. See how many times your hands hit the lane.

Just make sure you have the lane to yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: More proof that OWS is completely different from the pool [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff!

He seems to have a very high stoke rate in the pool which transitions nicely into OW.

He did a 14'38 in 1500m a few weeks ago in the Italian Nationals so lets hope he takes the WR from Sun Yang in Worlds or in Tokyo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This comes up in running with Cross-Country.

But running is running, and the absolute best runners, regardless of the type of footing or terrain always rise to the top. We saw this at the recent World XC Championships in Denmark.

No surprise that the best long-distance swimmer in the world in the pool over 1500m is ALSO the best in open water.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply