Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More is LESS
Quote | Reply
It's with a heavy heart that I write this. As you all know, I am very direct and objective, but I also try to be honest with myself and those around me. So in the interest of coherence I have to say this: I am now convinced that not only more is NOT more, but that more is LESS.

As some of you know, I had a training camp a couple of weeks ago. At the camp, everyone did a lot of training. Most athletes were so tired that they would lie on the floor for an hour after each workout. Every morning I had to push some of them into the pool because they didn't want to swim. By the end of the camp everyone was doing aqua-running because of minor pains and injuries.

This weekend a lot of them raced and things simply didn't go so well. Everyone felt flat and had bad races. My phone and email have been flooded with reports of disappointing races. Things actually started to go bad during the week, with two athletes getting stress fractures and being out for the next 8 weeks.

Some athletes at the camp were training for IMAZ. All 4 of them feel really flat and it looks like their taper isn't kicking in at all. One of the athletes got sick and his doctor says he's got mono. Another athlete that wasn't at the camp but is focusing on IMAZ, which happens to be the one training more, is the one that feels worse. Today he emailed me that he simply couldn't get out of bed this morning.

I proud myself for being someone that learns from my experience. I think all this is overwhelming evidence that more is MORE doesn't work. I am beginning to think that more is LESS. The situation is very serious and calls for immediate action. I am giving each and every athlete that I coach an off week. The future starts now.
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of us have already had at least one April fools joke played on us today. You should have posted this earlier in the day and we might have fallen for it. Besides, everyone's already talking about what a great race Jodi had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get what you pay for.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
April Fool! Must be you almost sound humble ;-)

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this mean you pulled will from the lavaman swim :-)
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [motriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<Most of us have already had at least one April fools joke played on us today. You should have posted this earlier in the day and we might have fallen for it. >>

Didnt catch on right away that it was an April fools joke.
I kinda got scared there for a second.:-0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I proud myself for being someone that learns from my experience. I think all this is overwhelming evidence that more is MORE doesn't work. I am beginning to think that more is LESS. The situation is very serious and calls for immediate action. I am giving each and every athlete that I coach an off week. The future starts now.[/quote]LMFAO

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean to tell me that H2Odave(or whatever his name is) was right?!

I wonder if he has considered coaching? ;)

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LLLLLLLLLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

a week off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes....that should be plenty for me to bounce back from my stress fracture!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only guess that some of it is April Fools... but not all of it... I sadly know one that is_ dealing with a sfrx. :(

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [boco_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep.....i was joking but sadly...some are not as lucky.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [Haim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I wonder if he has considered coaching? ;)
Is he a triathlete? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Is he a triathlete? ;-)"
-----------------------

BETTER!!!...He is a guy with a plan.

He has a plan that can turn a potentially good triathlete into a mediocre triathlete...

BUT, if you follow his plan carefully, you will be able to be mediocre for a LONG, LONG time ;)

Haim

"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok--i couldn't keep a straight face...i earsed my first response. lol.
Last edited by: kittycat: Apr 1, 07 18:44
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ok--i couldn't keep a straight face...i earsed my first response. lol.

sorry to hear this about your athletes; particularly ones that are facing stress fractures.

all of this is a learning experience. and it seems that you are committed to learning and willing to adapt and go from there...and that's huge.

i'm no where near the level of your athletes; but i had to backdown my own efforts last month because i had some of the symptoms you've seen in your own athletes. within a few weeks i had a big turnaround which was really awesome. i'm sure your athletes will benefit from the week off, and things will look up from here.

keep your chin up; and thanks for reaching out to all your peeps on ST to share your insights.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i keep your first answer... it was a lot better!!!! i think we actually really caught you there!!!!

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've been PUNKED! :-D
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [jammajin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was even too tired to shave my legs.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

BETTER!!!...He is a guy with a plan.

He has a plan that can turn a potentially good triathlete into a mediocre triathlete...

BUT, if you follow his plan carefully, you will be able to be mediocre for a LONG, LONG time ;)

Haim

I met Dave (h20fun) today and am glad I met him more than I would any of you that criticize him. He probably represents over 80% of the readers here who are "mediocre" triathletes. Not everyone can didicate 100% of their lives to triathlon and competition. Not everyone here can aspire to be an ELITE athlete. I would bet that a majority of us STers have families, jobs, and other obligations, but are happy to be living a healthy lifestyle with triathlons.

Today, he volunteered with his daughter at an excellent event.

He is a triathlete I admire.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not really...although i'll say, he got me at first but as i kept reading, i knew it was a joke when he said his athletes lying around for an hour had him concerned. (think back to thai's pics; and then Jodi's RR, she basically nearly PR'ed her 1/2 mary time). besides, i wouldn't ever believe his athletes would have stress fractures...they're all basically super human! :o)

(and since when does paulo admit he's wrong??? i know, he would say h'ea never admitted it because he's never wrong. LOL!)

as for me; i backed it down, not because of symptoms...only because i got temporarily lazy ;)
Last edited by: kittycat: Apr 1, 07 20:02
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keep it up...More is Less,,,,my only way to take you at iMOO!!

[reply]
I was even too tired to shave my legs. [/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I met Dave (h20fun) today and am glad I met him more than I would any of you that criticize him."
-------------------------------

I'm sure Dave is a fine fellow, but he sure likes to play the martyr card for all it's worth. However, with posts like this, who is criticizing whom:

"So, folks that are doing 15 to 25 hours a week training are nuts, IMO, and have no complete, well rounded life, IMO.
If they did, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to do this kind of training!!"

No one gives a rat's ass how much Dave trains, but he sure seems to have a problem with the choices other people make.

Dave reminds me of someone driving down the freeway - anyone driving faster than him is an idiot, and anyone driving slower than him is a moron.

THAT is why Dave irritates people around here.

Haim

"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
not really...although i'll say, he got me at first but as i kept reading, i knew it was a joke when he said his athletes lying around for an hour had him concerned. (think back to thai's pics; and then Jodi's RR, she basically nearly PR'ed her 1/2 mary time). besides, i wouldn't ever believe his athletes would have stress fractures...they're all basically super human! :o)

(and since when does paulo admit he's wrong??? i know, he would say h'ea never admitted it because he's never wrong. LOL!)

as for me; i backed it down, not because of symptoms...only because i got temporarily lazy ;)

kittycat,

Paraphrasing Tony Montana, I can say "I am always right... even when I'm wrong"

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No one gives a rat's ass how much Dave trains, but he sure seems to have a problem with the choices other people make.

Dave reminds me of someone driving down the freeway - anyone driving faster than him is an idiot, and anyone driving slower than him is a moron.

THAT is why Dave irritates people around here.

Haim
Well put.
Quote Reply
Re: More is LESS [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that says it all. I will now drop all of my current training plans and follow what Dave does because he volunteered at an event. Give me a break.

In Reply To:

Today, he volunteered with his daughter at an excellent event.
Quote Reply