Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More aero wheels created for disc brake bikes?
Quote | Reply
Is this a thing now that many new bikes don’t need wheels with a rim for rim brakes?
Quote Reply
Re: More aero wheels created for disc brake bikes? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where have you been?

Disc brake bikes are here to stay. All top end models are disc brake only.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: More aero wheels created for disc brake bikes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Where have you been?

So all wheel companies are now making wheels which can’t be used with rim brake bikes which are suppose to be more aero as the company did for the new pinerello bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All wheel companies are making disc brake wheels and rim brake wheels.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
All wheel companies are making disc brake wheels and rim brake wheels.

Thank you for being patient with me

Before your post I had thought that a bike with disc brakes could use any wheels So a wheel specifically made for a disc brake bike could shape the rim to be more aerodynamic and not need for a rim to be able to accept a brake pad

But, if I’m understanding you correctly it is the wheel that determines if it is a rim brake or disc brake?

So if I were to be looking to get a new aero wheel for my rim brake bike I would need to make sure it is for a rim brake and not disc brake
Last edited by: RBR: Oct 11, 18 16:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would need a new bike. Disc brake bikes have stronger forks. Disc brake wheels cannot be used on a bike that uses rim brake wheels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever they do with rim shape will have to overcome their inherent deficit from an increased spoke count and the disc rotor itself. Specialized/Roval is the only company I've seen take steps to mitigate these deficits in their disc brake wheels thus far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan I think you've totally missed the question.

If I can reword it in my own interpretation:
"Has the switch to disc brakes allowed designers to make the wheel (rim) more aerodynamic, because they no longer have to provide a braking surface/braking force strength on the rim?"

I suspect the answer is Yes, but I haven't seen any designs that really push the envelope. In the pro peleton wheels are usually tubular, and providing a braking surface was always easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

So if I were to be looking to get a new aero wheel for my rim brake bike I would need to make sure it is for a rim brake and not disc brake

Yep, you need a rim brake wheel

Quote Reply
Re: More aero wheels created for disc brake bikes? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this was the question too. Recently, I considered a disc brake bike purchase and frankly found the wheel-buying decision to be FAR more difficult than the rim brake purchase which for me quickly narrows to Flo and HED based on speed/braking power. With disc brakes, it added it many other options and completely changes the dynamics of the decision. So, sssuming I’m interpreting OP correctly, what are the best disc brake wheels for speed/handling now that braking has effectively be taken out of the equation.
Quote Reply
Re: More aero wheels created for disc brake bikes? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up to now, it seems that disk brakes wheels are heavier and less aero that rim wheels, because :

1) disk and the way it attach to the wheel bring weight to the wheel
2) disk and the way it attach to the wheel bring drag to the wheel
3) you need to reinforce the wheel spokes, especially front wheel, because braking torque now apply to the center of the wheel, while contact with the ground is at the periphery. This also bring wight and in some cases drag.

Up to now, did not see any gain from rim braking zone suppress. Might happen in the future.

On the bike you also need stronger forks and rear wheel stays.

This is why brand marketing is struggling to supply positive drag figures on the new disk bikes.

The positive of disk brake is elsewhere, in braking consistency, endurance, and efficient breaking in the rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine got a P5X (daft boy) and sold the Hed wheels that came on it to me...I use them on my road/tri race bike. These do have aluminium baking surfaces on the rim and Hed have confirmed that with adaptation etc to make them fit a standard road bikes hub requirement these can be used with rim brakes. Not with the hassle imo. I think it more a lack of development and laziness from Hed
Quote Reply
Re: More aero wheels created for disc brake bikes? [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
. Not with the hassle imo. I think it more a lack of development and laziness from Hed

Yes, I'd imagine they were desperate to get something to market early, so they could be showcased on the DB Andean and P5X when they were released.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Where have you been?

I would consider Trek SC top end and it doesn't have disc brakes
Quote Reply
Re: More aero wheels created for disc brake bikes? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just a matter of time before they add disc brakes to it.

Quote Reply
Re: More aero wheels created for disc brake bikes? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Madone is certainly top end, and Trek still makes a rim brake version. I bought the disc version myself, but for the luddites who actually buy new high end race bikes (not sure those circles have huge overlap) you can stay with your brake style of choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that most disc brake wheels need more spokes, I wonder if a tri spoke will become the go to option for disc tri bikes aero wise?
Quote Reply
Re: More aero wheels created for disc brake bikes? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri spoke carbon wheels are much less compliant vertically (more rigid) than spoke carbon wheels.

A tri spoke with 23mm high pressure tyre on a rigid carbon fork is not confortable, could lead to serious grip problems if road not good, and is fragile (rigid = fragile).

Very good on a good wooden track, or good road. On basic road, problems in sight.

Now, with higher tyre, soften fork, why not. Something's got to give (sorry Marilyn), it is the basic rule for confort, grip and durability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

But, if I’m understanding you correctly it is the wheel that determines if it is a rim brake or disc brake?

There are important features at the rim and hub of wheels that determine how they can be used.

Hub: To be used with a disc brake, the hub has to have the necessary features to mount a rotor.
Rim: To be used with a rim brake, the rim has to (or at least should) have a braking specific surface on the outer edge of the rim. Disc specific rims don't have the brake surface.

You can take a wheel designed to be used with rim brakes and convert it to a disc wheel by replacing the hub (disc specific hub).
Quote Reply