Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey
Quote | Reply
I have read that one of the most aero things you can do on the bike is to have tight fitting clothing (besides my aerohelmet and horizontal aerobar bottle holder)

With that in mind what is the preferred aero choice for 70.3:

1. bento box behind stem with gels and endurolytes (electrolytes) capsules in capsule container
2. gel packages taped to top tube (or in gel flask bike mount on top tube) with endurolytes mixed in aerodrink bottle on frame (which I am already using to hold my Perpetuem calories)
3. gels and endurolytes in rear jersey pocket of Sugoi tri top (small pocket in relatively tight jersey) with NO Bento Box on frame
4. any other combo of the above

Thanks everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey [freddieso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it depends... IIRC some frames tested faster with a bento behind the stem... although the specifics elude me. It would be hard to give you a 100% sure answer without a tunnel :)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a rule of thumb, if you have a normal stem with a roundish back, and it doesn't stick up less than the bento box, then the box will probably not be worse. So not a bad call.

Bike with an aero shaped stem (or no stem above the top tube), you'll probably be less aero with the bento box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably eat more gels than anyone in a HIM

I tape 4 behind my stem and have 2 in my short pockets or inside the leg of my shorts.

Endurolytes can be put in another pocket in my shorts. If I used them I would put them in a little rubber coin purse.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a fairly conventional tri bike with a traditional stem, a spacer or two, and standard aerobars, apparently, based on wind tunnel testing, even a squarish-shaped bento box may help with aerodynamics. Of course, we'd like to think that a very well shaped bento pack (like ours, the Speedpack) would do even better. And it will allow you very easy access to your gels.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey [Andrew V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just set mine up for Sunday. I AM BORED OKAY!!!!
Two gels in top tube under bento box but accessible to grab and rip open and bneto box ready to except two peanut butter and Jelly sandwhiches. That's right I have a smorgasborg on my bike. I get hungry ;0). BTW... I starched then ironed my bento box so it is nice and stiff behind the stem and keeps shape. I told you I am bored.

Re: More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Just set mine up for Sunday. I AM BORED OKAY!!!!
Two gels in top tube under bento box but accessible to grab and rip open and bneto box ready to except two peanut butter and Jelly sandwhiches. That's right I have a smorgasborg on my bike. I get hungry ;0). BTW... I starched then ironed my bento box so it is nice and stiff behind the stem and keeps shape. I told you I am bored.

I'm a big fan of Nutella sandwiches in the bento box.
Quote Reply
Re: More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey [ArcticTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I cannot keep any Nutella around because of my son he gets a sniff of that stuff and he vacumns it up like well a vacumn.

Re: More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
depends, which gels?

that is a joke

I make joke

He only needs but a single gel package:

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh, 1 First Endurance EFS Liquid Shot in the back pocket for HIM, in the other (I have two pockets at the back) I have my flat kit. Keeps everything looking nice and tidy.

Quote | Reply
Go with the bento for the 70.3, you can easily put 4-5 gu in there. Be careful with taping to the top tube unless you are carrying a trashcan with you as well. Some races you can get a penalty for throwing the gel at unauthorized location (other than aid station) ie, (florida), so if you feel like refueling and have another 10 miles before you can toss it, hope you have a someplace cozy for the wrapper....plus you can stay aero going into the bento.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Gu gel flask on the top tube behind the stem. Can fit 4.5 gels in it and it is easier than faffing with ripping the tops off gel packs. The rest of my cals are in a concentrated energy drink in a bike bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Dark Speed Works aero bento behind the stem (actually more aero than nothing). In it is a gel flask and a container of salt tabs.

For longer races I have a 10oz. gel flask in my back trisuit pocket, and keep the bento for salt tabs and aerodynamics.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't look like a Titanflex. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bento is behind my stem and my stem is behind my torpedo mounted bottle and my bottle is behind my hands and arms (sounds like it should be decently aero).

I don't cary nutrition there, but in races I keep a spare tube, two levers, two CO2, and a nozzle in there.

I use a regular Desoto zip close Box.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NoBrakes wrote:
I use a Gu gel flask on the top tube behind the stem. Can fit 4.5 gels in it and it is easier than faffing with ripping the tops off gel packs. The rest of my cals are in a concentrated energy drink in a bike bottle.

How do you attach the flask to the top tube in a way that you can easily remove the flask and then put it back on?

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:

I just took the pic from their website. Right now all my digital camera time is spent taking "self pics" to send out on Twitter ;).

Actually I have a lower stem and the bento blends better on my TF than the one in the pic does.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

I just took the pic from their website. Right now all my digital camera time is spent taking "self pics" to send out on Twitter ;).

Actually I have a lower stem and the bento blends better on my TF than the one in the pic does.

How do you mount it to your TF? Do you just use long velcro straps around the down tube? (Or, do you have a Transition?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

How do you mount it to your TF? Do you just use long velcro straps around the down tube? (Or, do you have a Transition?)

The straps aren't long enough to fit around the down tube, but (unlike other bentos) the bag is long enough that the last 2 velcro loops are out over the titanium boom. That plus the velcro at the stem and the rubber bottom kept in in place no problems.

If I can stop taking junk shots long enough I'll snap a pic of the setup and post it ;).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

The straps aren't long enough to fit around the down tube, but (unlike other bentos) the bag is long enough that the last 2 velcro loops are out over the titanium boom. That plus the velcro at the stem and the rubber bottom kept in in place no problems.

If I can stop taking junk shots long enough I'll snap a pic of the setup and post it ;).

Sweet! Thanks. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: More aero - Bento Box or gels in jersey [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
NoBrakes wrote:

How do you attach the flask to the top tube in a way that you can easily remove the flask and then put it back on?

It comes with a bike mount kit which holds it in place with velcro (https://guenergy.com/flask-bike-mount.html). I also added a small loop of elastic shoe lace to clip around the flask and mount to keep it extra secure on bumpy roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

Sweet! Thanks. :-)

Here ya go. I wrapped the middle two velcro loops over the bag, just to avoid cutting them off.
Note: My TF is the Large size (so I'm sure this will also work for the Small

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Here ya go. I wrapped the middle two velcro loops over the bag, just to avoid cutting them off.

Thanks! But rats! I ordered one before I saw your pic and now I don't think it will fit my "Large Stretch" frame that has a 1-inch longer top tube than the regular "large". :(

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Jun 10, 11 8:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Thanks! But rats! I ordered one before I saw your pic and now I don't think it will fit my "Large Stretch" frame that has a 1-inch longer top tube than the regular "large". :(

I wasn't sure mine would fit, and was prepared to use double sided carpet tape to attach it to the top tube. That might work in your case.

Quote Reply

Prev Next