Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More Wildflower questions from an Aussie !!
Quote | Reply
First of all thanks for all the postings for Wildflower, as an Aussie coming over to race for the first time has been a great help.
A couple more questions if I may ??

Run course, how rough are the trails, and what shoes do you guys wear, same as you normally would in a 1/2IM or heavier shoes ??
What conditions are the roads on in the bike course ?
What is the temp like to be throughout the race, best estimate of past experience will do ?

Come up and say g'day if you see me in the race, will be riding a bright green Cervelo P3, and will have some sort of Australian emblem on me.
Thanks again for all the posts, and am really couting on that 'infamous' aid station at the beginning of the run.
Quote Reply
Re: More Wildflower questions from an Aussie !! [Aussieracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't answer any of these...but I have heard they are going to give vegemite sandwiches to a selected few at the infamous :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as shoes for the run go the trail part is hard pack dirt. So stick with the shoes you normally wear. You do not need trail shoes.

I have only done wildflower once, last year. Last year, it was cold and the morning, perhaps mid 50s farhenheit to start the swim and by the run it was definitely hot, perhaps 80. I understand this is typical of wildlower to have big swings throughout the day.

as far as road conditions, I would describe them as good. Not super smooth fresh tarmac, but reasonable country roads.

hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I inspected the roads two weeks ago [road the course] down by the lake [Lon course outward bound] the road is rough and twisty until the climb [about 1 mile] the next 5 in the park are in good shape. Interlake to Jolon road great shape lots of rollers
Jolon rd from Interlake to Naciemento rd is rough with lots of small cracks to bounce you around for the first half then the surface gets better. Naciemento road to the top of nasty grade is in good shape. From the top of nasty to the bottom of the steep descent the road is good but between mile 46-50 [maybe a little sooner] there are some sections with some serious potholes that are outlined in orange warning paint with a 20 ft long paint squiggle in front of each set [I hope they get filled in before the race, but I would drive out to check before race day if I were you]

Olympic distance, the road is in good shape out and back

as for the weather be prepared for cold nights and anything from rain to wind to blazing sun as we are having a wet season with random storms followed by warm sunny days so far the temps have ranged for 50f to 70f during the day and down to the high 30's low 40's

Trails are packed dirt fireroads and pavement [could get muddy if the storms keep up]

Eric Drew
Head Referee
Wildflower Olympic Distance

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Last edited by: eric: Apr 23, 03 20:32
Quote Reply