Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike
Quote | Reply
Hi all - I got into triathlons and more serious cycling about two years ago. So far I've been using a decent road bike, but have been thinking of now getting a tri bike. I was just curious which bike people here enjoyed riding more - their tri bike or a road bike. Assuming a non-hilly normal weekend longer ride.

I ask because I'm likely going to shell out 3x what I paid for my road bike for my tri bike so I just want to make sure I enjoy riding it just as much as I enjoy my road bike. Hope that makes sense! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non-hilly: probably a tri bike.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was where you are 2 years ago. Since I bought my tri bike, I’ve only ridden the road bike maybe a dozen times. Flat rides, hilly rides, doesn’t matter. The majority of my riding is solo or with one other person. I still like riding the road bike, but given the option pretty much always choose the tri bike. Of course YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be disappointed.

There is no comparison between a road bike and a Triathlon bike out on city streets. Stopping, starting, handling, and comfort are all superior on a road bike in that situation.

A TT bike is designed to go fast in a straight line using the least amount of energy.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always said that my tri bike is all business, my road bike is for pleasure, and mountain biking is vacation.

this is because i prefer to join dynamic group rides with people i enjoy hanging out with more than just putting in the endless miles alone. riding a tri bike in a group just isn't fun since you're either relegated to the back or stuck riding the steep aggressive uncomfortable geometry on the basebar (most groups don't condone riding aero bars midpack). something interesting i gleaned from Ben Hoffman's "Ask Me Anything" thread is that he spends most of his time training on a road bike and only switches to his tri bike as races get closer. I'm not sure if he does group rides (doubtful), but I'm sure the more comfortable geometry and nimble nature of a road bike play a huge role.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tricky answer, but you will definitely enjoy the crap out of a dedicated TT bike.

That said, when I am out riding in groups or anytime in mountains, I enjoy my road bike 10x more than my TT bike.

When I am racing, I enjoy my TT bike 100x my road bike. When I am riding solo on TT training rides, I enjoy my TT bike 10x my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. The best biking-related decision I ever made was building up a road bike. It is infinitely more enjoyable to ride than tri bike at least outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike bar far is more comfortable. BUT...it is definitely not as cool looking. So, for those that don't know the difference the tri bike will look cooler when they see you on it. It's like a high end sports car compared to a Toyota corolla. Those who do know, chuckle because they know it's not as comfy as a road bike would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live and how the road and terrain look like? I live in flat area and Tri bike is absolutely fun. I only use my road bike for the group ride and hilly bike rallies. Speed wise, my Tri bike is much faster so I really enjoy it. I do have an old crappy road bike though.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in NYC, but typically head over to NJ / 9-W for most of my riding. Will also do occasional central park loops
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG - not even in the same ballpark - i would go to my road bike every time if i could (and usually do) - i tend to use my road bike or gravel bike 100% of the time until about 6 weeks before an A race where i shift to the tt bike.
Riding the TT bike where there is traffic, stop lights etc is a colossal pain in the ass, less comfortable and more dangerous IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG - not even in the same ballpark - i would go to my road bike every time if i could (and usually do) - i tend to use my road bike or gravel bike 100% of the time until about 6 weeks before an A race where i shift to the tt bike.
Riding the TT bike where there is traffic, stop lights etc is a colossal pain in the ass, less comfortable and more dangerous IMO
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did tris, I trained for tris, often riding alone and using my TT bike. I loved it. Now that I am not racing tris, I do more group rides or rides with friends and the road bike is much more important. So it really depends upon your purpose and type of rides. I did tris for 14 years, so TT was 85% of my riding for those years. I've been doing road rides and group rides now for the past 5 years and road bike has been 100% of those rides. So for 20 years and I've purchased 3 different bikes (2 road and 1 TT) and I'm waiting on my new Gravel bike in about a week and a 1/2. I think you will find you will get your monies worth from the TT bike and if you decide to quit triathlon, sell it and get a new road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know where some people are getting their tri bikes from but I'm much more relaxed on my tri bike.
It's like laying down comfortably to pedal.

That's not to say i don't like my road bike but if I'm going for a long ride alone or with 1 or 2 other people, I'm riding the tri bike.

If I'm going to ride in a pace line or up mountains I'm riding the road bike.

If I'm going to do VO2 intervals, I'm riding the road bike. Longer threshold or SST intervals I'm on the tri bike.

But the most fun bike i have is my mountain bike. It's like a long roller coaster ride :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, when I got my tri bike, I wanted to ride that all the time. But at that time, my road bike was an old Cannondale R900 that was approaching 20 years old.

Then the Cannondale had a frame issue that made it where I don't trust it outside anymore, and I picked up a Trek Madone 6.9. Now I love my road bike again.

Bottom line, you'll like the better bike, because it will feel better under you, shift crisper, make less noise etc. The question you need to ask yourself is what kind of riding you enjoy doing more of? Solo efforts with minimal climbing or handling required? Tri bike will be fun. If you like to mix it up on the Tuesday shop ride, upgrade your roadie. Ideally you get a nice road bike in a few years and have best of both worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have written, it depends on where you ride and who you ride with. I ride almost exclusively alone, where I ride there are no traffic lights and I typically do 90-100km as fast as I can. So, it is a no-brainer to be on my tri bike.

When I do the occasional bike trip, or ride with friends, I have been known to even resort to the cross bike just to enjoy the ride. Those rides are usually +120km and includes all the stuff triathletes snub their noses at such as coffee, cake, pics and jaw-jacking while trying to avoid getting flattened by commercial drivers.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road bike every time!!

I've not ridden my Tri bike outside since T2 in IM Wales in 2017. It's still got the seatpost sticker on it. It's now my dedicated trainer bike.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much you want for it? ;)

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s extra if I leave the sticker on it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my tri bike. I mean, LOVE it. But, if I'm riding for funsies, I'll take something road-bike-shaped every time. If the roads are good and I'm putting on endurance miles, that means my road bike. At this time of year, when the roads are getting cruddy here in New England and I'm not putting out huge miles, I'll take my gravel bike.

I rode 30 miles on the road on slightly knobby 38s a couple of weeks ago and although it wasn't fast, I had a baller time enjoying the leaves and the crisp fall air in relative comfort. The geometry is gentler. The gearing is kinder. It's just a more fun experience. I also run SPD pedals on it so that I can get off and wander around at will. It's magnificent. I wouldn't trade having that bike for the world.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's be clear here about one thing.........there's a difference between a tri bike setup and TT bike setup if we're talking about "joe public hobbist". Same for speed and intensity versus duration.

If you look at tri bike fits that would encompass 80% or maybe even more people.......it's not going to be 30+ mph TT bike territory kind of stuff.

I own both. For outdoor riding it is hands down the road bike (or a cyclocross bike) that wins the fun game. You can solo ride, you can group ride, you can race, you can do the weeknight worlds, etc....

Let's be honest, it's not the same farting around in Z2 on a tri or TT bike as it is meeting up with the chaps for a weeknight worlds matchup on the road bike.

Now, I said I own both. Riding the TT bike can be the most exciting thing ever, if you're DIR. If you're out for the best time possible that ride is going to be a lot more exciting than a Z2 ramble through the country side.

And, TBH, those excitement rides are still a small minority of the work you put in on the bikes. You don't go out balls to the wall every single day for just 10 miles on the TT bike. So in reality, it's boring stuff the other 90% of the time.

So yeah............for fun........road bike.......or cross bike.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Let's be clear here about one thing.........there's a difference between a tri bike setup and TT bike setup if we're talking about "joe public hobbist". Same for speed and intensity versus duration.

If you look at tri bike fits that would encompass 80% or maybe even more people.......it's not going to be 30+ mph TT bike territory kind of stuff.

I own both. For outdoor riding it is hands down the road bike (or a cyclocross bike) that wins the fun game. You can solo ride, you can group ride, you can race, you can do the weeknight worlds, etc....

Let's be honest, it's not the same farting around in Z2 on a tri or TT bike as it is meeting up with the chaps for a weeknight worlds matchup on the road bike.

Now, I said I own both. Riding the TT bike can be the most exciting thing ever, if you're DIR. If you're out for the best time possible that ride is going to be a lot more exciting than a Z2 ramble through the country side.

And, TBH, those excitement rides are still a small minority of the work you put in on the bikes. You don't go out balls to the wall every single day for just 10 miles on the TT bike. So in reality, it's boring stuff the other 90% of the time.

So yeah............for fun........road bike.......or cross bike.

Or gravel bike.....Good points and I'll add.....

You're not going to get a group of ST folks to agree on road or TT. Every person is different. I'm 50/50 between the TT and road. I had a great fit for my TT so it's quite comfortable on long rides AND hilly terrain. I also can handle a TT pretty well on curves, descents etc. but I can be much more aggressive on my road bike. Comfort wise they're about the same for ME but that's because of how dialed in the fit is on both. I do a fair share of group rides so that rules out the TT on those rides. Group rides are more fun simply because of the social aspect and when you get a good strong pace line going.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me a lot of "fiddling" around with the TT bike and practice to get to the point I could "look and make it happen" while in the tuck.

When I say that, I mean riding it like you will NOT see people riding a tri bike in a wave start triathlon. Well, most folks, because you'd kill someone since there's other people on a course. It's a road where I can ride at or above the speed limit of traffic and own the lane and my line and really bomb stuff. It's not flat, it's not entirely straight.

But, again, that's maybe one ride per week if lucky. Otherwise it's other workouts, weeknight worlds, or on the trainer.

I find it fun to do HIIT on the TT bike outside. Get into the power zones and speeds that leave "full IM pace" to "I'm seriously considering passing that car".

In that vein, I'd say if you can't afford both........road bike first, then make a TT bike a project. Get a bargain used frame, buy some used components, build it up. Improve over time. Ship of Theseus kind of stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fun to Ride - Tri Bike or Road Bike [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
I've always said that my tri bike is all business, my road bike is for pleasure, and mountain biking is vacation.

This. Even on solo rides, I almost always prefer the road bike. And, like somebody else mentioned, I also run SPD's most of the time so I have the option to get off and walk around if the mood strikes me, even if most of my rides end up being non-stop.

I'll get the tri bike out for the occasional Strava segment hunting banzai run, and once or twice a year to do a team-TT style kamikaze group ride with a couple daredevil fellow triathletes. Other than that, it only comes out in the couple weeks leading up to a race.

I think the decision is largely influenced by the quality of roads around here. Besides the prevalence of deteriorating asphalt, there's a fairly high likelihood that, on any given day, some section of your planned route has been freshly chip sealed.

Given the dearth of elevation around here, and, therefore, dearth of mountain biking trails, the mountain bike really is reserved almost exclusively for vacation.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took a summer of long rides for me to be able to ride my tri bike w/out discomfort in my neck. But now that I'm used to it, I love it. I think if you're into racing, probably best to ride the tri bike and get as comfortable on it as you can. ...BUT, I don't really ever go out to just ride for enjoyment, only training, because I enjoy the races!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next