Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2
Quote | Reply
I was communicating with Keith Jordan yesterday and things look good for this weekend at Mooseman. Keith even packaged up some Woodlands Texas heat in his suitcase and has dumped it in Newfounlake and if we misbehave, he's got a few extra Megawatts to blow at us on the run (which may be a welcome change from last year's freezing deluge.

Anyway, thanks to the local government not paving part of the "old couse" (from 2 years ago), Keith confirmed that we're doing the same course as 2010. Lots of people walking bikes up that hill. 34x27 is a nice gearing option to have and if I recall correctly even below 60 RPM standing on some of the steeper grades in this gear, I was over 5W per kilo,....which is bad news for run loop 2 because most of us don't have Macca Watts per kilo....most of the climb was possible around 4W per kilo in that gear, but even that is way high for a half Ironman. Hopefully you guys have good gearing because the hills on run loop2 bite badly as a result of blasting up the Moose-zilla on bike loop 1....by loop2, it seems like the climbing pace is much more civilzed (lots of folks cranking under 50 RPM though).

See you this weekend. Hopefully I have a better run loop 2 than the disaster from last year, although last weekend's racing indicates that run fitness is way off, so even more reason to respect the bike course.
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev. Good to know whats coming...hopefully no speed limits on the descent this year? 
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [PlacidPirate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand the speed limit still exists...which really sucks. Europeans would laugh at us North Americans for having a speed limit there. Half of Ironman France would be "speed limited" if they used North American wussification standards (I don't think there is a single descent on the IM France course that is easier than the one at Mooseman)....oh well, on the plus side, it is safer for everyone.

See you there!
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there an elevation map of bike course anywhere??
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [PlacidPirate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed limit will be in effect, according to the athlete's guide.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, good luck this weekend. It sounds like the weather gods are on your side. Wish I could have been there....freakin herniated disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott....sorry to hear....hey, maybe when your back gets better, it might be worth looking at picking up a softride off ebay. It saved Jurgen Zack's career (amongst others). Barring that a Titanflex. Next on my list would be the Airfoil Pro...its a bit better than other rigid frames, but not as good as the Softride or Titanflex. I also mix up my riding between a road bike and TT bike as my back seems to like that better. All the best.

As for weather, with the heat in the forecast, there could certainly be torrential thunderstorms even with sun in the forecast....I'll believe we have a hot day when we see it or when Keith Jordan pumps some additonal heat in the New Hampshire atmosphere. If he can put ice on the Texas course, he can do anything!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode the course last Friday.....that climb is tough, and its tougher the second time around. The descent off of it was pretty fun. I'm curious to see if they are actually enforcing the speed limit. See you up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hadn't thought about beam bikes - something to consider. There is a new beam bike, the Cycpro, that also looks interesting.

The back has been improving, to the point that I am now starting to ease very slowly back into biking and running. Swimming has not been a problem, so I have been getting some serious yardage in there. Hoping to be able to salvage my August and September races.

Anyways, best of luck and I will be checking the results to see if you successfully defend last year's age group win.
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...=242109&start=21

The elevation profile for the bike is there and the run is there as well. Looks like a tough climb in the early part. About 1000 feet climb with varying grades in the two digit range. Hoping to be one not walking my bike up with my aero helmet on :@)
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [wrichmond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to this race and am starting to pack tonight. Every course profile I look at looks worse than the one before, so I'm done "researching" this race. Question on Mooseman etiquette: Is it acceptable to start crying at Mile 5 knowing what is just down the road or should I wait until I start climbing at Mile 6 to turn on the faucets? I just don't want to look out of place doing it the wrong way.

Also, is anyone else staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Tilton? I am looking to catch a ride to the race early Sunday so my wife and I don't have to wake up our young son. She'll drive to race later in the day. My bike will already be checked in, so it's just me and a gear bag. Shoot me a PM if you think you can help. Thanks.

Good luck everyone racing this weekend!

- Larry

Larry Durland
Member of Team Firefighter
IM Blog: 34 Weeks & 17 Hours
Twitter: @larrydurland
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [ldurland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crying is limited to the finish :) But just to tempt the gods, when you go by the start of the 2nd loop, yell to the crowd: "Is that all you got!??? Let's do it again! I'm not done with you yet!!!"

Lots of athletes will be staying at the HI exp. Hang out and you'll find them. Or, as the saying goes, they'll tell you that they're triathletes. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how long exactly is Alpe Moose-zilla? It sounds like it will be dishing out a fair amount of pain.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is about 3.5 km long. Figure on 18-20 minutes of climbing on each loop. By comparison, it takes about 3x as long to climb as Fortune hill, and the grade is much steeper in sections. This is mostly lost time as there is a speed limit on the downhill. I made a deal with myself last year that I would only get off my bike and walk if I began to get passed by those who were already walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i remember that hill well......... in fact, i believe i saw you on it last year. you mumbled something to the effect of "we're going to hard"

it's racing, it's supposed to be hard!

have fun this year, i will be over in Quassy struggling on those 'hills'

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh boy, this sounds like fun.......

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we looking at the same forecast? Looking like 61 tomorrow and barely reach 70 through Sunday.

devashish_paul wrote:
As for weather, with the heat in the forecast, there could certainly be torrential thunderstorms even with sun in the forecast....I'll believe we have a hot day when we see it or when Keith Jordan pumps some additonal heat in the New Hampshire atmosphere. If he can put ice on the Texas course, he can do anything!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool front is moving through today and tonight, and we'll have several days of really pleasant weather.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to keep harping on the weather here, but how cold has it been early morning? I'm coming up from TX so debating how warm of clothes to bring for pre-race...
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [wrichmond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dress warm - i froze my ass off last year
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [camo76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I'm doing the International distance race on Saturday instead of the full HIM. Anyways, we did in fact have a cold front move through this morning and it's cooled off significantly (I live in londonderry, NH - about 80 minutes south-east of Wellington State Park) but the forecast continues to point to low 70s and sunny for race day although it will likely be high 50s/low 60s at the start.

Quick question... does that enormous hill play a factor in the international distance race? It seems like it might and I'm running a 52/38 crank with a 12-25 cassette. Should I be worried? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [tblake84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Re: Mooseman Bike Course: 2xMoosezilla....but the race starts on run loop2 [tblake84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, the international is a bit of a different course so you dont have to deal with that hill. I actually live in Londonderry too. I was up at Newfound yesterday and the water temp was 62. Once you get in and start swimming it actually feels great. Its looking like it will be a great weather day also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Quick question... does that enormous hill play a factor in the international distance race?"

According to their website, the Int'l race still uses the old course, which means you get the "Devil Hill"@ mile 10, which is steep but will only take 2-3 minutes to get up. You ought to be fine with your gearing. Lots of rollers but nothing like Moosezilla. The old HIM course was the loop you are doing X2. Personally, I liked it much more than the new course.

Quote Reply

Prev Next