Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Monty and Skid on 29 Feb: What's the Birthday Set (I think they turn 15 and 16)
Quote | Reply
So what's the birthday set for these teenagers.

You know we've been around ST for a while when there's been something like 4 of these birthday set since it all started off.

Happy Birthday to the teenagers! (thanks facebook for the reminder too)
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and Skid on 29 Feb: What's the Birthday Set (I think they turn 15 and 16) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I know what Montys birthday set is going to be as I met him here on Catalina Island for the ÖTILLÖ race! He´s doing the sprint race today, a great way to celebrate his birthday.

I hope Scott is doing something similar to celebrate his youth:) Great guys, both of them, true legends!
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and Skid on 29 Feb: What's the Birthday Set (I think they turn 15 and 16) [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonas wrote:
Well, I know what Montys birthday set is going to be as I met him here on Catalina Island for the ÖTILLÖ race! He´s doing the sprint race today, a great way to celebrate his birthday.

I hope Scott is doing something similar to celebrate his youth:) Great guys, both of them, true legends!

What is the format of Monty's race. Maybe we can play along virtually! Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and Skid on 29 Feb: What's the Birthday Set (I think they turn 15 and 16) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

You know we've been around ST for a while when there's been something like 4 of these birthday set since it all started off.

I don’t think they’re that old.... (2000 wasn’t a leap year)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and Skid on 29 Feb: What's the Birthday Set (I think they turn 15 and 16) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I don’t think they’re that old.... (2000 wasn’t a leap year)

So they have their entire high school swimming careers in front of them?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 29, 20 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very happy birthday to two of my favorite dudes.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, still on the island and learning how to walk again. Somehow I got the impression that the run was rolling hills, I guess if you call 15% to 30% grades rolling!! Will do a race report later on, but suffice it to say it was brutal as expected. The race today is definitely a young persons sport, a bit like the old days of racing. Not many rules, almost no markings, virtually no support, and what you swim in, you run in and vice versa. Today will be a lot cooler than yesterday, there was a mile uphill yesterday with a tailwind, and it was nearly 80 degrees with full sun beating down. Now imagine all of that running in your wetsuit, carrying all your swim gear in your hands with your swim cap on!!

But I will definitely be back, left at least 20 minutes out on the course getting lost, and just plain not ready. And I miss this island too, spent a lot of time here back in the day when we put on the pro Catalina triathlon, great times...
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and Skid on 29 Feb: What's the Birthday Set (I think they turn 15 and 16) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Thanks everyone, still on the island and learning how to walk again. Somehow I got the impression that the run was rolling hills, I guess if you call 15% to 30% grades rolling!! Will do a race report later on, but suffice it to say it was brutal as expected. The race today is definitely a young persons sport, a bit like the old days of racing. Not many rules, almost no markings, virtually no support, and what you swim in, you run in and vice versa. Today will be a lot cooler than yesterday, there was a mile uphill yesterday with a tailwind, and it was nearly 80 degrees with full sun beating down. Now imagine all of that running in your wetsuit, carrying all your swim gear in your hands with your swim cap on!!

But I will definitely be back, left at least 20 minutes out on the course getting lost, and just plain not ready. And I miss this island too, spent a lot of time here back in the day when we put on the pro Catalina triathlon, great times...

Thanks for the report and great you were able to do something so challenging on your birthday. You must feel awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and Skid on 29 Feb: What's the Birthday Set (I think they turn 15 and 16) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep it was. The year 2000 was a leap year, because even though it is divisible by 100 it's also divisible by 400. The years 1700, 1800, and 1900 were not leap years, but 2000 was. The year 2100 won't be, nor 2200, nor 2300. But 2400 will be.
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and Skid on 29 Feb: What's the Birthday Set (I think they turn 15 and 16) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty how is your body feeling today after the Catalina event?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sore, but not injured or sick yet, so I will call that a victory for the moment. Got to talk to a few of the folks that did yesterdays race, and they are shelled. I would figure most of them will not be running for at least a week. This race absolutly beats your body worse than an ironman, unless it is the old Tahoe worlds toughest course. Running down 30% grades after going up them, well is just about the worst thing you can do to your legs. Then of course you get to put them into 58 degree water, which I believe is the actual recipe for cramping!!!

Great fun though, will do a full report on the full experience later on. Halfspeed did the big race, think he and I were the oldest folks each day, so we have that perspective to bring to it too. And there were other ST'ers out there, Lars got 5th overall with his partner, and Jonas raced sick and still got 8th, so hope to hear from those guys later too.

I was anticipating the Collins/Forster team results. They got 6th, well back from the winners. Just shows how mature the leaders are in this sport now, beating two seasoned triathlon pros.
Quote Reply