Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Monitoring Current Average run pace
Quote | Reply
I do workouts that call for running a distance at an average pace. Say 12 miles at 8:30. I currently use the Polar RS200 with footpod that gives me my CURRENT pace and at the end it will give me an AVERAGE pace. I am interested in knowing what the average is DURING the run. I am told Polar does not have a model that does this. Does anyone have another recommendation??
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Monitoring Current Average run pace [xbaytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timex can show either during the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Garmins give you this info as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin does it and Polar RS800 might I am not sure about that one.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Re: Monitoring Current Average run pace [notevenslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, Garmin's do it.

It'll give you "Lap Pace" which is the average from, you guessed it, your current lap.

But, with your Polar, why does your average matter? If you're supposed to run 12 miles at 8:30, run 12 miles at 8:30. Don't run 6 miles at 8:00 then 6 at 9:00.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: Monitoring Current Average run pace [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I generally start to fast and then fade, my pace fluctuates too much. I find I can dial it in when I look at the watch but my adjustments are too great, I think if I was watching the average my acceleration and deceleration would be smoother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I have to admit I am missing something here.
If you have your current pace, why you do not adjust "right away" to stay as close as possible to your target pace? It is not like you are waiting for the km or mile marker to find out your pace after 1 km or mile and then try to adjust.
You can adjust live based on your current pace...

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin 305 does
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any cheap watch and www.gmap-pedometer.com can do the trick too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use the "autolap" feature to obtain average pace (and HR) for each "lap" automatically, it can be set to: 1mi/1km for convenience or anything shorter if you prefer finer control.

BTW, I use a RS800sd and it doesn't have online avg pace either, but current pace is much more stable (and useful).

Hope it helps,

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: amartinez: Oct 30, 07 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your Polar will tell you time and distance. You can get average pace from these. I.e., for 8:30 pace you should hit 0.5 mi at 4:15, 1 mi at 8:30, etc.

If I check every half mile it's enough to keep me on pace. By now I know which corner, mailbox, streetlight are my half-mile markers on my favorite routes, so I don't need to obsessively check the watch.

I agree with you that chasing current pace leads to overcorrection.

Side bonus: later in a run, when my brain has shut off, doing the math can distract me for quite a while.

If the math is too tough for you, your Polar may (mine does) give you avg speed (not pace). If you know that 8:30 miles = 7.0 mph, you can aim for that instead.

If all else fails, ask Dev about his OCD School of Mathematical Drudgery.[email]
Quote Reply
Re: Monitoring Current Average run pace [amartinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning I set the auto-lap feature for ever 1/4 mi and it showed me the previous lap's pace. Bad idea. This led to constant over correcting instead of just running. I think tomorrow I'll set the lap distance for every 2 miles instead.

I'm trying to tune my body to be able to run at a specific pace, but it's damn hard for me.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply