Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
What’s disturbing was someone snapping shots of this and then posting An article about it on a news site. Let her do her thing and don’t make a spectacle out of it.

I think this is an assumption based on your bias. I don't know who took the pics or reporting, but what if it was a female? Does that still make it disturbing? My female tri and running friends were inspired by this and not disturbed or creeped out.

Also, she was doing her own thing. She was interviewed by the media agency and discussed why she did this. It looked like she gladly did post race pictures which included one of her breastfeeding her kid. I think she's intentionally being an advocate for breastfeeding, but that's just a guess on my part.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could she have pumped privately? Yes. She chose to do this in the most public way. It was her choice. I think it could have been handled differently.

Ai_1 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Perhaps she could have peeled off course and taken care of it in a less public space or maybe the race just conflicts with what is going on in her life and her family needs are more important than this one race.

The action by her made the news it was so unconventional, but those who have a different view on her choices are chastised. The ones who are supposedly more tolerant usually are less tolerant of different views. It’s okay to not agree with how she handled the situation.

Anything goes these days and if you don’t agree with the masses they will tear you down for a difference of opinion.

People aren’t
edbikebabe wrote:
casper3043 wrote:
And what if she didn't pump?

I feel like she used the pumping excuse to make a statement - which was a very inspiring one for women, but I think this was unnecessary. her kids wouldn't starve to death if they didn't get their fresh milk that afternoon. the bigger statement would be if she just whipped it out without covering.

Being engorged is no joke. The pain would keep me up at night if I didn't do something. And running at the same time? Nope, nope, nope.

What bull.

Look, I know I'm not about to convince you of anything, it's obvious you're not about to take any logical arguments onboard, but in case anyone else thinks you have a point, let's just be clear about something:

Most people are saying if she wanted to race, she probably needed to pump. That there is no legitimate reason to accuse her of inventing a problem or making a fuss about nothing. Anyone here who breast fed or had a partner who did will know this is a perfectly legitimate need. Also, she didn't make a fuss about it, she just did what she needed to do. She didn't interfere with anyone else's race. There's no problem and indeed willingness to disregard silly old fashioned prudishness and ignorance does deserve credit.

Others either don't understand the situation (I wouldn't have known too much before my partner breast fed our son) and therefore have mistaken this for a publicity stunt, which is forgivable so long as you're open to feedback and willing to correct your error. However there are those, like mwanner13, who not only don't get it, but play the victim and pretend all opinions are equal and they are being persecuted for being different.

Opinion A is that she should be left to it. It's a perfectly natural need, which interferes with no-one else and allows her to race is do what she wishes so long. This opinion should offend no-one, since it imposes nothing on anyone.

Opinion B is that she should do what the contributor wants, regardless of her own needs or wishes. A contributor who appears not to even understand the situation. This opinion favours interfering with the freedoms of others without even suggesting a legitimate reason beyond perceived existing convention.

And the holder of option B is the one complaining about not having their freedom respected.
I challenge your position and your wish to interfere with others. I make no apology for that.
You challenge the freedom of others without cause. I believe that's where an apology is due.

The masses don't tear you down for a difference of opinion, and you're not being brave by having one.
Your ignorance is being criticised as it should be. If your position was defensible you wouldn't be pathetically playing the victim, you'd be defending your position.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve pissed all over myself in transition. Why? Because I was in a race and didn't stop to stand in line at a port-a-potty. Easily could have, perhaps should have. Could I have just waited to the end of the race? Nope. Other than a volunteer once saying, “Oh my god, these people are gross sometimes.” nobody made any kind of deal about it at all. I’m not seeing how this is much different for her. She wanted a good race time and went for it.

My wife and I have three kids. While I haven’t experienced breast feeding pain for myself, for obvious reasons, my wife would tell me it can be very painful. She would need to pump after about 2-3 hours if the baby wasn’t nearby to feed.

Did this lady choose to do this in public? Yep! Just like I chose to pee on myself in transition to save time...

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's always amazing to me when someone brings up the intolerant of intelorance argument, and always with no self awareness of what they are saying. One more time...you may have any opinion you want, the rest of us are under no obligation to agree with you.

"The action by her made the news it was so unconventional, but those who have a different view on her choices are chastised. The ones who are supposedly more tolerant usually are less tolerant of different views. It’s okay to not agree with how she handled the situation.

Anything goes these days and if you don’t agree with the masses they will tear you down for a difference of opinion."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Could she have pumped privately? Yes. She chose to do this in the most public way. It was her choice. I think it could have been handled differently...
Of course it could have been handled differently. But your comment implies there was some problem with how she did handle it.
The option she chose was the quickest and there was nothing wrong with it.

Do you think it's acceptable for a woman to breast feed her baby at the table while out for dinner in a restaurant with friends, or do you think she should hide herself away in the toilets to do so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Not what I said or insinuated, but you’re known to attack people calling them sexist on here.

I believe in equal rights, but I think this could have been handled different. If that’s sexist to you then whatever.

I think you’re weird and have a serious agenda. Many others have a similar opinion of your trolling.

Toby wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
maybe the race just conflicts with what is going on in her life and her family needs are more important than this one race

"Get back in the kitchen".

It is exactly what what you said means, even if you can't follow it to its conclusion. I call people sexist here very rarely, so I don't really believe you. I was called sexist myself on the Ashley Horner thread by a number of people. Where exactly were these "attacks" of mine? Are you thinking of the thread by the self-admitted troll who said female pros should be paid less, which is the exact definition of sexism?

Weird? Sure. Agenda? That's a code word used by conservatives to attempt to delegitimize positions they don't like. Much like "triggered" and "snowflake". I'm sure there are others who agree with you and are "triggered" by seeing someone call them out on their offensive positions while they push their "agendas" of Puritanicalism. "Trolling?" Come off it.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Perhaps she could have peeled off course and taken care of it in a less public space or maybe the race just conflicts with what is going on in her life and her family needs are more important than this one race.

The action by her made the news it was so unconventional, but those who have a different view on her choices are chastised. The ones who are supposedly more tolerant usually are less tolerant of different views. It’s okay to not agree with how she handled the situation.

Anything goes these days and if you don’t agree with the masses they will tear you down for a difference of opinion.

People aren’t
edbikebabe wrote:
casper3043 wrote:
And what if she didn't pump?

I feel like she used the pumping excuse to make a statement - which was a very inspiring one for women, but I think this was unnecessary. her kids wouldn't starve to death if they didn't get their fresh milk that afternoon. the bigger statement would be if she just whipped it out without covering.

Being engorged is no joke. The pain would keep me up at night if I didn't do something. And running at the same time? Nope, nope, nope.

I wasn't commenting either pro or con. Simply offering my experience as to why she was pumping - it wasn't about the baby eating - it was about her comfort. The how/why/where of what she did was her choice and yours to debate as you see fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
A lot of people do. I wish America had been founded by... basically anyone other than the Puritans.

The colonists in Jamestown - the first permanent English settlement in North America - weren't Puritans, specifically, but members of the Church of King James

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/17th_century/va01.asp

Quote:
We, greatly commending, and graciously accepting of, their Desires for the Furtherance of so noble a Work, which may, by the Providence of Almighty God, hereafter tend to the Glory of his Divine Majesty, in propagating of Christian Religion to such People, as yet live in Darkness and miserable Ignorance of the true Knowledge and Worship of God, and may in time bring the Infidels and Savages, living in those parts, to human Civility, and to a settled and quiet Government: DO, by these our Letters Patents, graciously accept of, and agree to, their humble and well-intended Desires

I could be wrong

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
What’s disturbing was someone snapping shots of this and then posting an article about it on a news site. Let her do her thing and don’t make a spectacle out of it.

Well, it IS Fox News, which is not exactly well-known for respecting the rights or dignity of women

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
PixelPaul wrote:
uptown423 wrote:
I breastfed both of my kids and I am all about keeping fit. But this is just taking it a bit too far. Goodness gracious.

Totally agree, this is beyond ridiculous.

Why?

From the article it sounds like she was planning to pump in T2, but realized she was on pace for a PR. So, she made it work while running.

My wife, who had 5 children says, when it's time to pump... It's time to pump. You can't really wait.

Doesn't bother me.

exactly! why is this bothering anybody? she wasn't exposing herself. how is this offensive to people? as far as I can tell, she wasn't trying to make some big statement she just wanted to PR.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Against the rules: outside assistance

mickison wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
PixelPaul wrote:
uptown423 wrote:
I breastfed both of my kids and I am all about keeping fit. But this is just taking it a bit too far. Goodness gracious.

Why?

From the article it sounds like she was planning to pump in T2, but realized she was on pace for a PR. So, she made it work while running.

My wife, who had 5 children says, when it's time to pump... It's time to pump. You can't really wait.

Doesn't bother me.

exactly! why is this bothering anybody? she wasn't exposing herself. how is this offensive to people? as far as I can tell, she wasn't trying to make some big statement she just wanted to PR.

Quote | Reply
Shrike wrote:
Really takes you to step back and consider all the extra trouble women go through to train regularly. Pretty much every guy I know moans and makes excuses. Can only imagine the state many would be in if they had periods, or had to carry a baby inside them for 9 months while trying to stay fit!

/hat tip to the women

Yeah my wife did IMWI with a broken wrist and biology kicking her butt. Amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
PixelPaul wrote:
uptown423 wrote:

Why?

Doesn't bother me.

Don’t you know? People gotta be outraged by something these days, even if it doesn’t remotely affect their lives. Indignation is in
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a dozen other posts reference, and I'll reiterate, my wife pumped and you get into a schedule. So when it's time to pump -- it's time to pump!! And Thank God women breastfeed or the human race wouldn't be here!

The point that everyone's missing is what's truly outrageous is that we Triathletes participate in 70 mile races that take 6+hours to complete!! So if someone, such as a breastfeeding Mom -- wants to be committed to PR'ing a Half Ironman and committed to a pumping schedule for breast feeding a child, the outcome is Pump-n-Run!!

Funny how our community sees the 70.3 mile race as normal, and breast feeding to fit within this self created contest as out of the ordinary. As another poster mentioned, women have been breastfeeding on the move for a very, very long time -- many thousands of years. Men and women wearing spandex and lycra while SBR'ing against a clock has only been around for less than a thousand of a second by comparison.

I applaud this women for not compromising either commitment. BRAVO!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone speaking out against this is misguided. 1) Pumping was a medical necessity as everyone who actually has experience with kids or women understands. 2) The choice was to do it in private and forego the chance at a PR or in public and gun for the PR but possibly offend some who find it "gross" to see a covered up breast with a plastic bag attached. PR's trump offending a few nits who find plastic bags gross, all day long. End of thread!

Guy who pee'd on the bike at IMWI,...which is gross
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
She needs professional help. You mean to tell me this can’t wait. If so, then why the eff is she racing to begin with? At best she’s a really strange woman that should have finished her race without making a ridiculous scene, or not raced at all. Smdh...

uptown423 wrote:

lol, you have never been around a mom with engorged lactating breasts have you? It gets to a point where it is pretty painful.
Good on her and it is far from "gross".

Exactly this. I asked a few female running friends who have children about this and they all agreed this is the reason. Huge props to the lady for taking on a six hour race knowing this would be an issue. All three of my children were breast fed (not by me!) and I still forgot about the practicalities involved after ~8 years of the youngest being weaned onto solids. My wife isn't into endurance sports but I'm still embarrassed I couldn't remember and had to ask someone. My memory is junk.
Last edited by: Ian A: Nov 14, 18 14:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next