Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mom pumps while racing [surrey85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surrey85 wrote:
...not a prude or overly conservative.../quote]

This is up there with "I'm not sexist, but...".

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
She needs professional help. You mean to tell me this can’t wait. If so, then why the eff is she racing to begin with? At best she’s a really strange woman that should have finished her race without making a ridiculous scene, or not raced at all. Smdh...

uptown423 wrote:
I breastfed both of my kids and I am all about keeping fit. But this is just taking it a bit too far. Goodness gracious.

lol, you have never been around a mom with engorged lactating breasts have you? It gets to a point where it is pretty painful.
Good on her and it is far from "gross".
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
And what if she didn't pump?

I feel like she used the pumping excuse to make a statement - which was a very inspiring one for women, but I think this was unnecessary. her kids wouldn't starve to death if they didn't get their fresh milk that afternoon. the bigger statement would be if she just whipped it out without covering.

Being engorged is no joke. The pain would keep me up at night if I didn't do something. And running at the same time? Nope, nope, nope.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps she could have peeled off course and taken care of it in a less public space or maybe the race just conflicts with what is going on in her life and her family needs are more important than this one race.

The action by her made the news it was so unconventional, but those who have a different view on her choices are chastised. The ones who are supposedly more tolerant usually are less tolerant of different views. It’s okay to not agree with how she handled the situation.

Anything goes these days and if you don’t agree with the masses they will tear you down for a difference of opinion.

People aren’t
edbikebabe wrote:
casper3043 wrote:

I feel like she used the pumping excuse to make a statement - which was a very inspiring one for women, but I think this was unnecessary. her kids wouldn't starve to death if they didn't get their fresh milk that afternoon. the bigger statement would be if she just whipped it out without covering.

Being engorged is no joke. The pain would keep me up at night if I didn't do something. And running at the same time? Nope, nope, nope.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Nov 12, 18 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, perhaps, the idea that her family needs and this race conflict when she could multitask to achieve both goals shouldn't be such a radical one.

It's like saying that my wife shouldn't have done any work while pumping, either. Except that's not how the world works.

This might be unorthodox, but only on this board can this much hand-wringing come about over something like this.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
maybe the race just conflicts with what is going on in her life and her family needs are more important than this one race

"Get back in the kitchen".

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not what I said or insinuated, but you’re known to attack people calling them sexist on here.

I believe in equal rights, but I think this could have been handled different. If that’s sexist to you then whatever.

I think you’re weird and have a serious agenda. Many others have a similar opinion of your trolling.

Toby wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
maybe the race just conflicts with what is going on in her life and her family needs are more important than this one race

Last edited by: mwanner13: Nov 12, 18 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
Came here for the shitty comments from the usual forum trolls. Not disappointed.

So saying something is imo gross is trolling???
Holy shit dude do you spend your day trying to be offended?
What should I say....OH WHAT A AMAZING WOMAN. YOUR JUST THE BEST!

Christ, please don't say that... What you need to say is "You're the best"... "you're".

I know you are only 13, but I'm glad we cleared that up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Not what I said or insinuated, but you’re known to attack people calling them sexist on here.

I believe in equal rights, but I think this could have been handled different. If that’s sexist to you then whatever.

I think you’re weird and have a serious agenda. Many others have a similar opinion of your trolling.

Toby wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

1) "Differently"

2) Yes. It is sexist. No one ever talks to male triathletes with children this age about their "family needs". In fact, I am sure there was at least one guy on the course with a kid who needed to be fed during the race... maybe he should not be racing either.

3) She should not have to pull off course and pump behind a tree... aside from the fact that it would have killed her time, there just is no reason on earth why she should have to hide while pumping.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [fatafut23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fatafut23 wrote:
Wow good for her! She is definitely driven and dedicated. It takes a lot of will power and sacrifice to breastfeed and on top of that she was able to carve time out for herself. Mad props.

There is some stat out there for North America that 99% of women stop breastfeeding before 6 months.

Certainly wasn’t expecting this much chatter- but now that there is, I certainly hope some company takes the lead here and recognizes the need to develop carbon fiber, wind-tunnel tested pumping gear for women on the go.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Certainly wasn’t expecting this much chatter- but now that there is, I certainly hope some company takes the lead here and recognizes the need to develop carbon fiber, wind-tunnel tested pumping gear for women on the go.

If you hook up a pump and find a way to reverse the flow in the straw, you’ll actually find a good use for the new rear Shiv bladder!!!! Women will get to pump while racing. Men won’t have to bully her into hiding behind a tree. Genius!
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So relieved now to find I can self cath in the middle of the race! It was killing my times to have to pull behind a tree!
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [jkjt11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkjt11 wrote:
So relieved now to find I can self cath in the middle of the race! It was killing my times to have to pull behind a tree!

Really you’re gonna go with that one when there is a thread on the main page about how to pee on the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:
Came here for the shitty comments from the usual forum trolls. Not disappointed.

Christ people opinions don't all have to be the same and god forbid I get geeked out by women breastfeeding...

Or you could just not offer your opinion. It's funny that you think I'm offended. I'm simply pointing out that you're a troll like you usually are.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hold on hold on. I disagree as much with what he said as anyone else, but that doesn’t mean he can’t or shouldn’t offer his opinion. This has produced an important discussion and everyone’s opinion is welcome, even those that you think are “wrong”. Trying to silence those with whom you disagree is never the way to go.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 12, 18 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Hold on hold on. I disagree as much with what he said as anyone else, but that doesn’t mean he can’t or shouldn’t offer his opinion. This has produced an important discussion and everyone’s opinion is welcome, even those that you think are “wrong”. Trying to silence those with whom you disagree is never the way to go.

Sure. And I offered it as my opinion that he's trolling. That's based on this comment and his history of similar nonsense.

"I don't think that's appropriate in public" is a constructive negative response. "Gross" is not.
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WRONG!!!!! There are male family needs. The guy who was divorcing and a buddy told him to balance training by dumping his kids off is wrong. That is a family need that a man needs to address. So you’re wrong. Family needs work both ways. Quit attaching labels to everything to fit your agenda.

Tommann wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Toby wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

1) "Differently"

2) Yes. It is sexist. No one ever talks to male triathletes with children this age about their "family needs". In fact, I am sure there was at least one guy on the course with a kid who needed to be fed during the race... maybe he should not be racing either.

3) She should not have to pull off course and pump behind a tree... aside from the fact that it would have killed her time, there just is no reason on earth why she should have to hide while pumping.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Nov 12, 18 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum it’s ok to have an opinion but it’s another thing to voice it when it clearly makes you look like a sexist jackass. That’s why I asked if you had kids, because it qualifies your opinion. If you don’t have kids and have no concept of the pain and suffering women go through you should really just keep your mouth shut. I should add many others are being idiots it’s not just you.

RoostBooster wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Derekl wrote:

Christ people opinions don't all have to be the same and god forbid I get geeked out by women breastfeeding...

Or you could just not offer your opinion. It's funny that you think I'm offended. I'm simply pointing out that you're a troll like you usually are.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Nov 12, 18 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

THANK YOU!
I'll be the first one to admit that sometimes I like to stir the pot "Trolling" but in this instance I really just was trying to convey that this kind of thing gives me the Willy's. Now I no I no what ur gonna say....it's natural and yata yata yata.....And you have every right to say you can't understand why this gross me out but that doesn't change the fact that that it does and that I'm aloud to voice my opinion.
And noooo my wife and I don't have kids. Neither of us handle kid things well!
So I'm sorry if my opinion offends you

I'll try to keep my trolling to the LS threads..all 900 of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are those mortified by this also mortified by women that feed in public? Just trying to find out where the line is drawn here. It kills me to see grown men find breast "icky" or "gross".
Quote Reply
Re: Mom pumps while racing [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
Are those mortified by this also mortified by women that feed in public? Just trying to find out where the line is drawn here. It kills me to see grown men find breast "icky" or "gross".

Again I'm sure you would say I'm trolling but yeah I'm not crazy about seeing this in public. I'm also not crazy about public displays of affection...

I doesn't.make me wrong and you right or vise versa....It's just what makes us different
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:

A lot of people do. I wish America had been founded by... basically anyone other than the Puritans.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
rjrankin wrote:

Again I'm sure you would say I'm trolling but yeah I'm not crazy about seeing this in public. I'm also not crazy about public displays of affection...

I doesn't.make me wrong and you right or vise versa....It's just what makes us different

Well hopefully you understand why this happens in public now. Women shouldn't have to just sit inside waiting for this natural thing to stop happening. This isn't even comparable to PDA's though. One's a necessity (despite what a shocking number here seem to think), the other isn't. You are correct though, we're both entitled to our own opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
rjrankin wrote:

Well hopefully you understand why this happens in public now. Women shouldn't have to just sit inside waiting for this natural thing to stop happening. This isn't even comparable to PDA's though. One's a necessity (despite what a shocking number here seem to think), the other isn't. You are correct though, we're both entitled to our own opinions.

I do understand that it's necessary...kids got to eat and apparently it's starts to hurt if left unattended ( god I'm dying to say something funny) and that I did not no till this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Perhaps she could have peeled off course and taken care of it in a less public space or maybe the race just conflicts with what is going on in her life and her family needs are more important than this one race.

The action by her made the news it was so unconventional, but those who have a different view on her choices are chastised. The ones who are supposedly more tolerant usually are less tolerant of different views. It’s okay to not agree with how she handled the situation.

Anything goes these days and if you don’t agree with the masses they will tear you down for a difference of opinion.

People aren’t
edbikebabe wrote:
casper3043 wrote:

What bull.

Look, I know I'm not about to convince you of anything, it's obvious you're not about to take any logical arguments onboard, but in case anyone else thinks you have a point, let's just be clear about something:

Most people are saying if she wanted to race, she probably needed to pump. That there is no legitimate reason to accuse her of inventing a problem or making a fuss about nothing. Anyone here who breast fed or had a partner who did will know this is a perfectly legitimate need. Also, she didn't make a fuss about it, she just did what she needed to do. She didn't interfere with anyone else's race. There's no problem and indeed willingness to disregard silly old fashioned prudishness and ignorance does deserve credit.

Others either don't understand the situation (I wouldn't have known too much before my partner breast fed our son) and therefore have mistaken this for a publicity stunt, which is forgivable so long as you're open to feedback and willing to correct your error. However there are those, like mwanner13, who not only don't get it, but play the victim and pretend all opinions are equal and they are being persecuted for being different.

Opinion A is that she should be left to it. It's a perfectly natural need, which interferes with no-one else and allows her to race is do what she wishes so long. This opinion should offend no-one, since it imposes nothing on anyone.

Opinion B is that she should do what the contributor wants, regardless of her own needs or wishes. A contributor who appears not to even understand the situation. This opinion favours interfering with the freedoms of others without even suggesting a legitimate reason beyond perceived existing convention.

And the holder of option B is the one complaining about not having their freedom respected.
I challenge your position and your wish to interfere with others. I make no apology for that.
You challenge the freedom of others without cause. I believe that's where an apology is due.

The masses don't tear you down for a difference of opinion, and you're not being brave by having one.
Your ignorance is being criticised as it should be. If your position was defensible you wouldn't be pathetically playing the victim, you'd be defending your position.
Quote Reply

Prev Next