Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moab, Utah??????
Quote | Reply
Will be in Moab, Utah for a week in May. Any suggestions for runs. Will be staying on the north end of town (Portal campground). Also does anyone have info on the pool in town (lap swim hours, price). Thanks!

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Re: Moab, Utah?????? [115InTheShade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pool opens in May. There are endless trailruns but one of my favorites is about two miles from town by the hippie village. It follows the river up into the canyons. Take Main st south and turn right on Kane Creek Rd. There is a trailhead where it turns to dirt. Park there and follow the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Moab, Utah?????? [tsdudley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats a hippie village?

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No recs on running or swimming, but if you want a little adventure, go mtn biking at Slick Rock. If you're not an experienced mtn biker, you will be very humbled, but only go if it's dry, you could seriously get stranded otherwise. Keep in mind that you need to have decent bike handling skills if you decide to try it (don't know how good your skills might be).

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The slickrock practice loop makes an interesting run - lot's of high HR hills. Good road biking on highway 128 (?Castle Valley ROad?) just west of town (you can go right into Fruita Colorado) and Potash road #279. You could probably run this too - fairly flat but beautiful. Try some of the trails in Arches National Park for running. THe trail into Delicate Arch is about 12km. The Bar M Loop trail is nice and flat with beautiful scenery and is mostly packed dirt or slickrock - no sand!

Have fun. Moab is one of our favourites
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fyi- The Slickrock trail and all the other mtb trails are in the Sand Flats Recreation Area. I didn't really know that when I got there, so it took some random navigation to find it. I'm sure you can just follow the mtb trails for a run. There's an info center right in the center of town there- see what they have to say.

Obviously give the mountain biking a shot- you can rent a bike in town there. Just be prepared to never come out of your granny ring and 32/34 cog. The Slickrock trail has nothing but steep up and steep down...you're either coasting/braking or trying to spin up rock faces without tipping backwards. Not a mtb newbie trail, though.

I haven't been in the side of Canyonlands Nat'l Park on the east side of the Green/CO rivers, but the west side was unreal. I believe the regions closest to Moab are Islands in the Sky and The Needles. Perhaps there are some epic trail runs you could do there- go to the visitor center and look at the maps/ask around.

A friend and myself spent 3 nights in Canyonlands last June, but on the west side. We rode our mtn bikes in 30 miles from the Hans Flat Ranger Station into a campsite atop The Maze (lots of amazing little canyons). We did a couple day trips down to the CO river to pump water via The Dollhouse (amazing place) and Spanish Bottom. Except for by the CO river, we didn't see a single other person the whole time. Definitely my top outdoor experience.

Absolutely love that area though. Hopefully you will find the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scenery capital of the world.

Pretend swimming doesn't exist. Just go out and hit a different running trail or mountain bike trail - every day.

Needles section of Canyonlands for some amazing trail runs. If it's sandy you might be slowed to a walk in places.

Weather can be unpredictable; big heat, rain or even snow, especially early in the month.
Quote Reply
Re: Moab, Utah?????? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my 3rd trip to Moab. I am renting a Mt. Biike for the first day there. The rest of the time I will be hitting the trails in a different manner...on 4 wheels! I will be doing some running in the evenings so won't have a lot of travel time...the Kane Creek trail head area is close to where I will be staying so I will probably explore that area...maybe for a nice hill climb I jaunt up Moab Rim! : ) There is a public pool in town...just don't know if they offer lap swimming, hours and fee's. From the google earth aerial shot it appears to have lane lines!
Thanks for the info and keep it coming!

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com