Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mixing Wheel Brands and/or Types
Quote | Reply
Hey All, new to the forum and just curious as if there is a negative effect in using different front and rear wheel brands (say, front HED and rear Zipp). Does it affect performance? Or is it just a matter of aesthetics?

What about mixing front alloy and rear carbon? Say if you only want to have a race specific rear wheel, do you really need to spend the money on a matching front carbon wheel to shave a few seconds?

Being that triathlon is an endless money pit sport, is it worth the extra money to match wheel brand and/or type?
Quote Reply
Re: Mixing Wheel Brands and/or Types [AndresA13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced a hed Jet 4+ with a zipp 808 rear. It was one of my fastest times. There is no problem mixing wheels. I currently have Hed's, Flo's, and Zipp wheels; different depths. I mix them depending on conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never mix and match. One wheel will try to go faster than the other, causing the frame to be put under stress due to squashing or stretching. You have been warned.
Quote Reply
Re: Mixing Wheel Brands and/or Types [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Never mix and match. One wheel will try to go faster than the other, causing the frame to be put under stress due to squashing or stretching. You have been warned.

Plus, the fashion patrol can give you some penalties.
They are easy to spot : aviators, hawaian shirts, and riding Harley.
Penalties are :

stop to get a new hair cut
stop to buy a new aero helmet color matched to your frame
stop to buy a Wattie ink or Love the pain speed suit (can ruin your season)
stop to buy a new disk brake gravel super aero frame, accepting 2,1" MTB tires with integrated hydration refillable at rear shifter hanger
stop to buy a new LS signed "Freshi" colors Canyon CF SLX - available on Canyon site for 2 hours, at some point of the year

That is why most peoples uses matched wheels and draft, its safer.
Quote Reply
Re: Mixing Wheel Brands and/or Types [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

Not to mention that the faster wheel can release itself, kick your ass and call you a pussy... very humiliating.
Last edited by: iker2: Nov 23, 18 2:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enve is probably the only one arguing that their set is matched for performance. They are also the only company, until recently, that argued that their non-disc wheels were faster than a rear-disc.

It is just an aesthetics call. Though, you might want to have matching braking surfaces (carbon F&R or aluminum F&R) just to keep the braking feel the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Mixing Wheel Brands and/or Types [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Enve is probably the only one arguing that their set is matched for performance. They are also the only company, until recently, that argued that their non-disc wheels were faster than a rear-disc.

It is just an aesthetics call. Though, you might want to have matching braking surfaces (carbon F&R or aluminum F&R) just to keep the braking feel the same.

Didn't Reynolds claim the same with their RAZR wheels?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My old frame exploded because I mixed wheelsets. True story.

Don’t mix, ever.

Also, your saddle should be white, as should your bar tape. And sunglasses must be worn outside the helmet straps.

You have been warned.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Mixing Wheel Brands and/or Types [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
knighty76 wrote:

Plus, the fashion patrol can give you some penalties.
They are easy to spot : aviators, hawaian shirts, and riding Harley.
Penalties are :

stop to get a new hair cut
stop to buy a new aero helmet color matched to your frame
stop to buy a Wattie ink or Love the pain speed suit (can ruin your season)
stop to buy a new disk brake gravel super aero frame, accepting 2,1" MTB tires with integrated hydration refillable at rear shifter hanger
stop to buy a new LS signed "Freshi" colors Canyon CF SLX - available on Canyon site for 2 hours, at some point of the year

That is why most peoples uses matched wheels and draft, its safer.

And unlike WTC referees, these guys actually hand out penalties

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply