Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mitigating brick dust near my trainer set up
Quote | Reply
For the past two months, i've been doing Zwift rides in my basement, as it is relatively cool (73F max) and quite dry (55% RH). In fact, it's actually more comfortable than conditions outside, especially with the Lasko Pro Performance blower (see picture below)

Trouble is, the part of the basement was recently redone, where some bricks were laid done and set (previously, they were loose). The contractor who did this was less than professional, and managed to deposit a film of brick dust everywhere (you can see it in the picture above) from the sanding of the bricks. I think he's actually oblivious to the harms of cutting and sanding of bricks, as he didn't use a respirator! However, I still need to deal with the consequences of his work.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize just how serious things were until I checked the bucket of the dehumidifier, and that's when I realized the entire inside of the dehumidifier was coated brick red. Since his work, I've spent ~6 hours in the basement cycling, without using any respirator protection. I would like to get a better sense of the following

A). How much have I breathed in during those 6 hours. Remember that I have two fans. While the dust did settle, i'm concerned about whatever amount that may have been kicked up
B). Could I use a N95 respirator during exercise? May not be comfortable to wear, but neither is exercising in humidity.
C). Anything else I should do in the mean time?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by: echappist: Aug 5, 18 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Mitigating brick dust near my trainer set up [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would putting, suspending cloth or paper in front of fan and seeing how much dust it picks up make any sense (maybe wet them down ?)
you could wear a N95 (one that has a cool vent) but that still would suck

main thing is to somehow get rid of the dust right, which in and of itself is going to throw dust about (wet it down ? )

our air is horrible due to smoke from western fires so i'm riding indoors in garage. hope the air filter i have out there is better than riding outdoors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 [`Quote] I would like to get a better sense of the following
A). How much have I breathed in during those 6 hours. Remember that I have two fans. While the dust did settle, i'm concerned about whatever amount that may have been kicked up
B). Could I use a N95 respirator during exercise? May not be comfortable to wear, but neither is exercising in humidity.
Quote:

I've done lots of these calculations but usually with actual sampling data. Since you don't appear to have actual sampling data, i'll make some assumptions and see how it comes out. If you want to change any of the assumptions, you can plug a diff number in the equation and see how the result changes.

Mass of brick dust inhaled in 6 hrs cycling = (# breaths/min) (mL air/breath) (60 min/hr) (6 hrs) (concentration of brick dust in air in mg/L) (1g/1000 mg) (1 lb/453.6 g)

Estimated Concentration of brick dust in air = 1 mg/L
Estimated breaths/min = 40
mL air/breath = 400 mL/breath

Mass brick dust = (40 breaths/min) (400 mL/breath) (60 min/hr) (6 hrs) (1 mg/L) (1 g/1000 mg) (1 lb/453.6 g) = 12.7 lb

So, this is a very "back of the envelope" calculation but at least you can see that the amount of brick dust consumed may be non-trivial, but of course we can't know with any certainty b/c we don't know C (Brick Dust) with any degree of confidence. In any case, thought you might find this calculation of some interest.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Mitigating brick dust near my trainer set up [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the math, but this is FUD overkill...

Quote Reply
Re: Mitigating brick dust near my trainer set up [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
I get the math, but this is FUD overkill...

Probably true but i had not done a calc of this type in awhile so it was kind of fun to do, and perhaps it might be of some small interest to the OP and possibly to others on the forum who are not familiar with this type of calculation. :)

Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 4, 18 22:04
Re: Mitigating brick dust near my trainer set up [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
[`Quote] I would like to get a better sense of the following
Quote:
Mass brick dust = (40 breaths/min) (400 mL/breath) (60 min/hr) (6 hrs) (1 mg/L) (1 g/1000 mg) (1 lb/453.6 g) = 12.7 lb

So, this is a very "back of the envelope" calculation but at least you can see that the amount of brick dust consumed may be non-trivial, but of course we can't know with any certainty b/c we don't know C (Brick Dust) with any degree of confidence. In any case, thought you might find this calculation of some interest.

You might reach a little high with 1mg/L.

Fun read: They get .2 to .8 mg/L under active working conditions:

http://deohs.washington.edu/...eral/MajarThesid.pdf

Nevertheless, unhealthy and dangerous. Better power wash those walls.

Interesting, thanks for this insight. I had no idea on where to look for brick dust concentrations, and i couldn't see spending hours on this one ST response. :)

Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Mitigating brick dust near my trainer set up [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had to extensively use N95 masks in student life. Infact the university even provided the better ones with valve, and while useable during normal activities I would rule them out completely for use under very strenuous activities.

Seeing how you can't be sure how much dust you have inhaled as this amounts to pretty much pure guesswork and how you also cannot change it now, my advice would be to clean, plaster, paint whatever the basement so that the air becomes dust free again and forget about what you might have inhaled as its of no direct consequence now (I mean its not like you could undergo some treatment to undo the damage now, thinking about the matter will just make you anxious.)
Last edited by: surrey85: Aug 5, 18 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: Mitigating brick dust near my trainer set up [surrey85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Erickmulk and Windschatten, thanks for taking the time to do the calculations and look up the details; i'll give the UWash link a thorough read

heyMartin wrote:
would putting, suspending cloth or paper in front of fan and seeing how much dust it picks up make any sense (maybe wet them down ?)
you could wear a N95 (one that has a cool vent) but that still would suck

main thing is to somehow get rid of the dust right, which in and of itself is going to throw dust about (wet it down ? )

our air is horrible due to smoke from western fires so i'm riding indoors in garage. hope the air filter i have out there is better than riding outdoors
that's a great idea! my feeling is that despite the high specific surface area, silica (and brick) are still quite dense, and hopefully they've all settled and won't be disturbed by air movement.

surrey85 wrote:
I have had to extensively use N95 masks in student life. Infact the university even provided the better ones with valve, and while useable during normal activities I would rule them out completely for use under very strenuous activities.
Seeing how you can't be sure how much dust you have inhaled as this amounts to pretty much pure guesswork and how you also cannot change it now, my advice would be to clean, plaster, paint whatever the basement so that the air becomes dust free again and forget about what you might have inhaled as its of no direct consequence now (I mean its not like you could undergo some treatment to undo the damage now, thinking about the matter will just make you anxious.)

I can report back that it was doable using the N95, but what has been annoying is that a) no way to clear nasal drip (sorry, TMI) and b) no way to drink water, at least without taking off the mask. Otherwise breathing was fine, though it did get uncomfortable toward the end of the 30-min interval

I may just need to suck it up and deal with the humidity; ugh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not able to see the pictures for some reason. Not sure if anybody else is. Even without seeing them, I would have to say your risk from one ride of any potential harm is extremely minimal. Best way to clean is with a vacuum and wet cloths. Vacuum up what you can then use a wet towel or rag to begin wiping everything down. It will take some time to get everything but it is about the only way to do it. As for working out with an N95, obviously it can be done as you have already done it. If you get the ones with a valve on them they will help to get rid of any moisture. Silicosis is one of the main diseases caused by exposure to brick dust but you are talking generally 20 years or more of exposure before you MIGHT see some negative impacts from it. I do brick work everyday and we have guys working for us that have done it for 30+ years with know ill effects from it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't see the pics either as others have mentioned. So can't say using a pressure washer is a good idea since we don't know your basement setup.

But try deep cleaning it as another suggested. Why don't you also get a air purifier to help filter out the particulates in the room too? It'd probably be a good thing since the "fresh air" from outside is also a byproduct of the nearby wildfires. So filtering out some of that inside your entire house might be a good thing.

Also you might want to check your HVAC filter and change it more often as it might be more dirty/clogged from the brick dust.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Aug 5, 18 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Mitigating brick dust near my trainer set up [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:
I am not able to see the pictures for some reason. Not sure if anybody else is. Even without seeing them, I would have to say your risk from one ride of any potential harm is extremely minimal. Best way to clean is with a vacuum and wet cloths. Vacuum up what you can then use a wet towel or rag to begin wiping everything down. It will take some time to get everything but it is about the only way to do it. As for working out with an N95, obviously it can be done as you have already done it. If you get the ones with a valve on them they will help to get rid of any moisture. Silicosis is one of the main diseases caused by exposure to brick dust but you are talking generally 20 years or more of exposure before you MIGHT see some negative impacts from it. I do brick work everyday and we have guys working for us that have done it for 30+ years with know ill effects from it.

very helpful; thanks :)

loxx0050 wrote:
I can't see the pics either as others have mentioned. So can't say using a pressure washer is a good idea since we don't know your basement setup.
But try deep cleaning it as another suggested. Why don't you also get a air purifier to help filter out the particulates in the room too? It'd probably be a good thing since the "fresh air" from outside is also a byproduct of the nearby wildfires. So filtering out some of that inside your entire house might be a good thing.

Also you might want to check your HVAC filter and change it more often as it might be more dirty/clogged from the brick dust.
good call re: the filter and the HVAC filter; will check on those
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I would a) not worry about what I've previously inhaled as there's nothing you can do about it now (as others have said, and b) clean up the basement as best as I can ASAP rather than trying to use a mask or other such things. I'd get a good shop vac with a HEPA filter and go over everything several times, followed by wiping/mopping everything down to get rid of any remaining dust. Also, as others have said, check/replace any HVAC filters, and clean out any HVAC ducts. You can also put a good qualitfy room air filter to pick up anytihng you've missed. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/...QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Quote Reply