Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues
Quote | Reply
I recently got a Milestone Pod to add Zwift running into the mix - apparently two weeks too early so I didn't get in on the free one.

After a handful of runs I've got some questions for those who have used this foot pod. I've had to calibrate the foot pod at the start of each run as it seems to not 'remember' my previous calibration. My 'easy pace' tends to be in the 7:30-8:00 pace range depending on recovery and previous workouts.

I initially calibrated the foot pod at 8 mph (7:30 pace) and it seemed to be ok on my first easy paced run. On run two I did a 13 mile run with two sets of three miles in the mid 6 range - the first set was pretty accurate, but the pace on the second set of three miles overestimated my pace by 10-20 seconds a mile. Mid week I did another similar run with 2x3 miles in the low 6 range - again the first set was pretty consistent with my Garmin foot pod, which I've calibrated both inside and on my treadmill. However, the second set of three miles was way off - 5:30-5:40 pace according the the Milestone Pod when I was around 6:15 pace.

This is a bit frustrating, and I'm wondering why it's so inaccurate and needs to be calibrated for every run. This morning I did a 6 mile run off a bike ride and the pace locked in at 8:30 when I was around 7:30.

Any idea what's up?? Others experiencing this?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have a Milestone Pod (actually a few) and I have basically stopped using it because of the constant inaccuracy. It sorta works if you keep it on the same shoe and do not change it. Also if you are running on the treadmill it must be the same one. Treadmills are notorious for having different true speeds. I tried Zwift running and because the pod was so inaccurate I stopped using it, as well as a few friends who were running in a club together (they bought 6 or 7 together as a group and then gave up after 5 months). When I compare it overall to my Garmin footpod its not even close. The Garmin is calibrate and forget and the Milestone is a pain, its hit and miss which is the last thing you want when are running. If you own your treadmill you may be ok. I did find that setting it to ignore times were I wasn't running helped a bit but still (as I said before) I gave up. Its a great idea that wasn't executed properly (although they were great answering all my queries). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I recently got a Milestone Pod to add Zwift running into the mix - apparently two weeks too early so I didn't get in on the free one.

After a handful of runs I've got some questions for those who have used this foot pod. I've had to calibrate the foot pod at the start of each run as it seems to not 'remember' my previous calibration. My 'easy pace' tends to be in the 7:30-8:00 pace range depending on recovery and previous workouts.

I initially calibrated the foot pod at 8 mph (7:30 pace) and it seemed to be ok on my first easy paced run. On run two I did a 13 mile run with two sets of three miles in the mid 6 range - the first set was pretty accurate, but the pace on the second set of three miles overestimated my pace by 10-20 seconds a mile. Mid week I did another similar run with 2x3 miles in the low 6 range - again the first set was pretty consistent with my Garmin foot pod, which I've calibrated both inside and on my treadmill. However, the second set of three miles was way off - 5:30-5:40 pace according the the Milestone Pod when I was around 6:15 pace.

This is a bit frustrating, and I'm wondering why it's so inaccurate and needs to be calibrated for every run. This morning I did a 6 mile run off a bike ride and the pace locked in at 8:30 when I was around 7:30.

What firmware version are you on? We've done a bunch of firmware updates that have helped a lot in this regard. We (in case people don't know, Zwift now owns Milestone) are also working on a multi-point calibration that will come out in an upcoming release of Zwift that should also help a fair bit with accuracy.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I've read and experienced is that it is only really accurate when you run at or around the speed at which you calibrate it. For example mine is calibrated at 13km/hr. Below 11km/hr and above 15km/hr it starts becoming inaccurate. Close to 13km/hr it's spot on. I don't know if this can be overcome?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought the Milestone Pod because others on this forum recommended it for use with zwift. I calibrated the pod on the milestone app (like it recommends for zwift) and it is insanely inaccurate when running on zwift. Yesterday during my run both the pod and the treadmill said I ran 6 miles but zwift said I did 5.56 miles. So apparently the pod is accurate with my treadmill but inaccurate with zwift. Kind of bizarre since zwift owns Milestone. I am hoping that there is some update that allows increased accuracy on zwift since I bought the damn thing to use with zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
What I've read and experienced is that it is only really accurate when you run at or around the speed at which you calibrate it. For example mine is calibrated at 13km/hr. Below 11km/hr and above 15km/hr it starts becoming inaccurate. Close to 13km/hr it's spot on. I don't know if this can be overcome?

That's the goal of the multi-point calibration. We've had really promising results with it across a pretty wide range of speeds in internal testing.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [unstable1219] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unstable1219 wrote:
I just bought the Milestone Pod because others on this forum recommended it for use with zwift. I calibrated the pod on the milestone app (like it recommends for zwift) and it is insanely inaccurate when running on zwift. Yesterday during my run both the pod and the treadmill said I ran 6 miles but zwift said I did 5.56 miles. So apparently the pod is accurate with my treadmill but inaccurate with zwift. Kind of bizarre since zwift owns Milestone. I am hoping that there is some update that allows increased accuracy on zwift since I bought the damn thing to use with zwift.
Is this because Zwift just takes the "power" and maps it onto the course/gradient in the game, leading to differences (much like with cycling). So say you run fast, but in Zwift it's up a hill, so in the game it slows you down (say like Strava's Grade Adjusted Pace).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
That's the goal of the multi-point calibration. We've had really promising results with it across a pretty wide range of speeds in internal testing.
Jordan, please confirm this is the exact same unit branded as the "Myfit Pod" in Australia? Which app/process do you recommend calibrating with?
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That could be true but the course I ran was extremely flat and the mph was way off even at 0% grade. When I increased pace up to 8 or 9MPH zwift was always .5 to 1 MPH off the mark even on flat ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These calibration/pace issues are frustrating I am currently using my Garmin foot pod and have calibrated my treadmill to Zwift however when running my pace on Zwift compared to my pace on my Garmin watch with foot pod is 30 seconds slower, i.e. the pace on Zwift is 6:00 per km Garmin watch shows 5:30 per km. If I slow my pace down on my Garmin to match my running pace that I should be running - the Zwift avatar slows to the point I am walking when in fact I am still running on the treadmill. I have emailed Zwift customer support and didn't get a concrete answer addressing my concerns. Hopefully this multi-point calibration corrects this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
zedzded wrote:

How do I do multi-point calibration?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
natethomas wrote:

What firmware version are you on? We've done a bunch of firmware updates that have helped a lot in this regard. We (in case people don't know, Zwift now owns Milestone) are also working on a multi-point calibration that will come out in an upcoming release of Zwift that should also help a fair bit with accuracy.

Jordan, I’m using whatever version came with the foot pod. Maybe I should try a firmware update and see if it improves.

Yesterday’s 1:40 run on my treadmill was 14.4 miles in distance. Zwift had it at 16.3. Quite a bit off - hope there will be an update as the Garmin foot pod seems spot on.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
unstable1219 wrote:
Is this because Zwift just takes the "power" and maps it onto the course/gradient in the game, leading to differences (much like with cycling). So say you run fast, but in Zwift it's up a hill, so in the game it slows you down (say like Strava's Grade Adjusted Pace).

We do NOT adjust speed based on gradient for running. So your speed will be whatever the treadmill/footpod says; we don't adjust for NGP.

Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
zedzded wrote:

How do I do multi-point calibration?

You don't. Yet. It's an update on our end that saves calibration values at various speeds and does a linear fit to those points to give more accuracy. It also, I believe, requires a firmware update on the pod.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Jordan, please confirm this is the exact same unit branded as the "Myfit Pod" in Australia? Which app/process do you recommend calibrating with?

Yes and no. It's a white-label version of the Milestone Pod from before Zwift acquired them. And it's got different internals. I am not sure if it's possible to update the firmware to the latest version. At least, there's a *possibility* that it may brick the unit. I'll see if I can get an exact confirmation on this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t have calibration issues as such except that I can start running and my avatar just stops then gets going and stops again. Batteries good and pace on treadmill is at 5min/km pace as is calibrated in zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [PortRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same issues. Used the Zwift pod a couple of times with iOS. Never got more than a minute before my avatar stops moving. As a result,the footpod is now,sitting in a drawer. If there is an update to address the problem I will give it another go.
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [PortRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PortRooster wrote:
I don’t have calibration issues as such except that I can start running and my avatar just stops then gets going and stops again. Batteries good and pace on treadmill is at 5min/km pace as is calibrated in zwift.

Have you downloaded the Milestone app and updated the firmware? I was having the same problem and that fixed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got so mad and frustrated with my Zwift pod, I tried smashing it with my water bottle. Which was stupid. I just ended up sending the pod flying across the room. interesting that Zwift would buy a company with a core product that they know is riddled with fundamental issues such as connectivity and tracking accuracy!!
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [Cmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cmartin wrote:
PortRooster wrote:

Have you downloaded the Milestone app and updated the firmware? I was having the same problem and that fixed it.

No....but I’ll give that a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought 2 Milestone pods and can't get either to work. I've tried multiple (new) batteries and they blink red every time. The Milestone app see's the pods but I get an error message when I try to pair it. Zwift won't even find/recognize the pods. I've sent a message through the Milestone app but it seems odd. The shop I got them from has sold a ton and never seen this issue. Strange that it's with 2 of them.

Jordan, any initial thoughts given that bit of info?
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most common issue is that Bluetooth pairing is an exclusive relationship. So my *guess* is that the Milestone app is "hanging onto" the BLE connection with the footpods, which is preventing Zwift from pairing to them. Force-kill the Milestone app and try again pairing with Zwift.

the footpods being paired to another app is easily the single most common cause of connectivity issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still confused by them blinking red, seemingly an indicator of low/dead battery, despite multiple new batteries being used.

I'll try eliminating the milestone app
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought the zwift pod. Is there a way to calibrate/use it other than with zwift? I'd like to have it calibrated for treadmill workouts aside from zwift as I don't plan to reactivate my membership for another month or so. I am hoping to use it with the Garmin 935 fwiw.
Quote Reply
Re: Milestone Pod on Zwift - calibration/pace issues [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. With the Milestone App for your phone.

Quote Reply

Prev Next