Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mile run focus block
Quote | Reply
With racing (mostly) down the drain this year, has anyone experimented on mixing it up with some single sport/ different distance focus? I know many are deep into a bike block or holding steady distance, but I'm looking to bring my mile track PR down again with some specific work.

Has anyone attempted something like this in the midst of a lighter phase of tri specific training? Any advice or tips? For reference I've dropped swimming down to 1x a week, and 4-5 hours a week on bike over 2 rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Mile run focus block [Hackz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back when the legs had a bit more speed and the body a few less miles on it, I did short tris early spring, track focus of 800M/1500M in early July, then back to Oly tris for August/Sept and tapered to Sprints in Oct. Not quite targeting PR's as much SR's as I was in my late 20's to late 30's. Did track intervals a couple of times a week with lots of 150 Meter builds near the end of the workout when in my 20's. Switched to more fartlek type workouts in my 30's, but continued with the 150 Meter builds to boost the leg speed. Swam a couple of days a week. Helped on arm strength which helped on stronger/faster running finishing kicks on the last lap. Rode the bike easy 1-2 times a week. These rides replaced the longer run workouts during the tri focused parts of the year. Biking helped recovering, flushing out the lactic acid builds, and saved the leg from too much pounding. Swimming helped the aerobic engine and arm power. Doable for sure if you split the focus into time periods and not combine them. Hard to reach PR/SR's when focusing on both tri and track races in the same time span. Let me know if you want more details.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactics2faster-new
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hackz wrote:
I'm looking to bring my mile track PR down again with some specific work.

How far are you trying to drop the mile PR?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hackz wrote:
With racing (mostly) down the drain this year, has anyone experimented on mixing it up with some single sport/ different distance focus? I know many are deep into a bike block or holding steady distance, but I'm looking to bring my mile track PR down again with some specific work.

Has anyone attempted something like this in the midst of a lighter phase of tri specific training? Any advice or tips? For reference I've dropped swimming down to 1x a week, and 4-5 hours a week on bike over 2 rides.

what is current best time and whats your goal? you are going to be wanting to do a lot more speed focused stuff than you are used to. I come from a mid distance track background and it is a completely different feeling in a race vs even a 5k. and even more compared to a sprint tri
Quote Reply
Re: Mile run focus block [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TT'd a true mile on track last week in 4:44, looking to get it down to low 4:30's by the fall. Run wise im doing 5ish runs a week: 1 track session, a long run of 10-12mi, mid length run of 8-10, and 2 shorter runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search posts by cdw

He did something like this & crushed it iirc

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply