Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level
Quote | Reply
This is a few days old but I just found out about it.
https://www.reddit.com/..._record_today_dutch/
https://www.facebook.com/mikkelbjerg98/

2nd only to Wiggins, beating Martin Toft Madsen's (MTM) recent record set at Aguascalientes. Martin always beats him in TTs (Danish Nationals and Crono Champenois this summer), but the kid is on great form. He went 52.311 last year, so it's a huge improvement.

Some shots from earlier this year:

Last edited by: rruff: Oct 7, 18 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He won U23 TT worlds for the 2nd year in a row in Innsbruck. We even had high pressure of about 1020 hpa on the day he did the hour attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very impressive!!! Only 19, give him a few years and non sea level and he might take it!
Also just won u23 tt wc
Quote Reply
Re: Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He should be capable of beating it in Mexico now. The altitude advantage is usually less than people expect, but he is only 800m from Wiggins. With more focused preparation and a better track he might have a chance as sea level very soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure this is the part where the Twitchers begin criticizing his position and offering up advice on how he can fix his multitude of aero sins.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
He should be capable of beating it in Mexico now. The altitude advantage is usually less than people expect, but he is only 800m from Wiggins. With more focused preparation and a better track he might have a chance as sea level very soon.

He may only be 800m from Wiggins but he is "only" 19 years old. Give this kid 5 years and it could be insane how fast he goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he's morphologically gifted... looks like he's having no issues with the UCI rules.

refthimos wrote:
Pretty sure this is the part where the Twitchers begin criticizing his position and offering up advice on how he can fix his multitude of aero sins.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An absolutely fantastic ride.

I’m not sure what they did for the attempt, but it wasn’t terribly warm on track earlier in the week from what heard.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mikkel is on amazing form right now indeed and to be so young doing it is even more impressive. That position is phenomenal as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome.
But isn't his seat too high!
Seriously though, would a lot here say it is, going from that top picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level [DeanV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cranks are past vertical, so no.
Quote Reply
Re: Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
rruff wrote:

He may only be 800m from Wiggins but he is "only" 19 years old. Give this kid 5 years and it could be insane how fast he goes.

Dont get your hopes up, he recently admitted that he needs to train differently to actually win road races, otherwise he might have a very short career
Quote Reply
Re: Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He doesn't need to wind road races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

If we wants any kind of lucrative pro contract he needs to excel at more than just TT. Like GC riding, or at least being a really good domestique in between TTs.

I don't think true TT purists, like, say, MTM himself, earn a living wage off just bike riding.

I hate to say it as an (amateur hack) TTer, but winning the Road WC is 100x more status and money than winning the TT WC.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 8, 18 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
rruff wrote:

If we wants any kind of lucrative pro contract he needs to excel at more than just TT. Like GC riding, or at least being a really good domestique in between TTs.

I don't think true TT purists, like, say, MTM himself, earn a living wage off just bike riding.

I hate to say it as an (amateur hack) TTer, but winning the Road WC is 100x more status and money than winning the TT WC.
unfortunately true; i can probably name the men's RR podium going back to 2009; not sure i can do the same for the ITT.
Quote Reply
Re: Mikkel Bjerg (age 19) sets new Danish Hour Record: 53.73km at sea level [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Sure, but brasch said he might have a short career if he can't win road races. Tony Martin doesn't excel at anything but TTs and I think he's done alright.

I have no idea if Bjerg is good at handling himself in the peloton, but if he is decent he'll be valuable as a domestique, and if he has the talent to win elite TTs, then he'll make very good money as a pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Tony Martin doesn't excel at anything but TTs and I think he's done alright.

Well, all right until the past couple years when he's tried to become a Classics rider and ended up not being good at one-day racing nor his old Panzerwagen self in TTs.

He *does* excel as a Grand Tour rouleur, though. Not his fault that Zakarin hasn't come through.

Personally, I'd like to see him make another run at going all-out in TT while he's still <35 y.o.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 8, 18 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he’ll be a Castrovejo and sign a nice Sky contract. You only see his name on the results during TT’s and will sit on front of the peloton to drive the Sky pace.
Castrovejo is not much of a raw watts or watts/kg kind of guy to drill the flats or set pace on climbs. But his watts/CdA is pretty great.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply