Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mike Boyle's Article on Training Endurance Athletes for Strength
Quote | Reply
It's about 10 years old but still just as good and relevant.

Considering more endurance athletes are getting into strength work to supplement their performance in every day life as well as sport, I thought Mike's article is just as good and relevant today as it was 10 yeas ago.

https://www.strengthcoach.com/...PLPgfc0GFgrEm_JGL3KA
Quote Reply
Re: Mike Boyle's Article on Training Endurance Athletes for Strength [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post.

The paragraph on interval training has me thinking about adding a session. There was lots of rest to work ratio which probably reduces risk of injury - which is why I shy away fron speed work except when prepping for a sprint Tri.
Quote Reply
Re: Mike Boyle's Article on Training Endurance Athletes for Strength [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest everyone racing M30-34 to follow his advice on how to develop aerobic capacity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good information in that article. As a therapist, I can confirm his assertion that type a folks keep us busy.
Quote Reply
Re: Mike Boyle's Article on Training Endurance Athletes for Strength [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Good information in that article. As a therapist, I can confirm his assertion that type a folks keep us busy.

My friend works at a PT clinic and he works mostly with the athletes that come in. Claims most of his are runners or triathletes and he has his "frequent flyers" with him.
Quote Reply
Re: Mike Boyle's Article on Training Endurance Athletes for Strength [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vittorio wrote:
I suggest everyone racing M30-34 to follow his advice on how to develop aerobic capacity

I second this. Now if only we could get more people in M30-34 to run Rudy Project helmets, Gatorskin tires, and butyl tubes.... đŸ¤”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good article. Roll before stretch good reminder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was kind of funny with a dose of reality...
----
In order to train the endurance athete you need to understand how he or she thinks. This involves something I have decided to call The Endurance Cycle. The cycle is illustrated below.

The Endurance Cycle
-Train---> Injury---> Rehab/PT---->

The cycle is simple. Train hard until you get hurt. Call your PT (who by now is like a family friend) rest and repeat. This is so prevalent that I have coined another term "The Endurance Conversation". This is a typical conversation overheard between two endurance athletes.

Endurance athlete 1 Question- "Are you training or injured?"
Endurance athlete 2 Answer - " Well I just got over _ _ _ itis and I've being running in the pool.."

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply