Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

My friend has a connection to a local weatherman here in Syracuse that will be taking the time to take a good look at the forecast on Sunday for us. Will know Wednesday and I will update then. Should be a little more accurate than the websites.

Talked to the weather guy...this is basically what he said:

It looks to me like you overpromised and underdelivered.

The weather websites are giving the exact same thing...
Sun Jul 28

74°
54°
Scattered T-Storms
Chance of rain:50% Wind: S at 7 mph
Details

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You REALLY aren't considering all the triathletes that will be practicing in Mirror Lake and peeing at 98.6 degrees. 2400 of them. And then there are the friends and family not racing, but drinking at the LP Brewery and since there is no empty lot next to the Pub, there is always the Lake to pee in.

And then there is always sharknado to worry about!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [RobLindqu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobLindqu wrote:

Quote:

My friend has a connection to a local weatherman here in Syracuse that will be taking the time to take a good look at the forecast on Sunday for us. Will know Wednesday and I will update then. Should be a little more accurate than the websites.

Talked to the weather guy...this is basically what he said:

It looks to me like you overpromised and underdelivered.

The weather websites are giving the exact same thing...
Sun Jul 28

74°
54°
Scattered T-Storms
Chance of rain:50% Wind: S at 7 mph
Details

You are right. What he actually gave me was this:

9 am 68
Noon 70
3 pm 75
5 pm 73
7 pm 70

He also said it could shower or thunderstorm at any time. So basically what the websites are saying.

What happens if there is lightning? I know at Syracuse 70.3 this year as soon as there was thunder, the race was over. Do they do that for full IMs too?

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't remember if it was Timberman or Lake Placid that it thundered and we still went ahead and raced. I think it might have been Placid 2009.

Damn, gettin' old sucks, can't remember shi.....wait, what was I talking about?
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You REALLY aren't considering all the triathletes that will be practicing in Mirror Lake and peeing at 98.6 degrees.

I, for one, run a little cold....so i'll be pissing in mirror lake at less than 98.6 degrees. YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, anything less than 75 will help the wetsuit lovers...

Of course, if you are ANY friend of GCG and ML, than you drink that dark LP stuff and you are more likely to leave a steamer/floater in the pristine waters of Mirror Lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you bring up a significant advantage of non-wetsuit swims.

Pro-tip: never swim over to a man isolated from everybody else during the warm-up.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Fleck wrote:
Interesting.

It's been a much cooler and wetter Spring in the North East, than the previous two years, when we had record breaking average warm Springs, back-to-back.

Uh, Steve - it's been hot as balls for weeks now.

Not quite the record heat wave we had prior to LP in '11, but definitely above average for what we'd normally expect.

i raced that day. i'm pretty sure i still have the trisuit burn to prove it.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [RobLindqu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just stepped outside and it's chilly. My forecast: chance of cold and wet followed and/ or preceded by warm and dry...or wet. Either way, there's an Ironman on Sunday.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced 2011. It was hot as balls on the run. Not as bad as imnyc last year. That was stupid humid....
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
71 degrees this morning.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like perfect race conditions; wetsuit swim, cool temps and some rain (hopefully during the run). Have at it.

As usual, it's the spectators that will have the worse of it. Buy your sherpas a nice dinner tonight, quit complaining to them about the forecast and remind them to take an umbrella.

Yes, Monsoon 2008 has left a scar ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Sounds like perfect race conditions; wetsuit swim, cool temps and some rain (hopefully during the run). Have at it.

As usual, it's the spectators that will have the worse of it. Buy your sherpas a nice dinner tonight, quit complaining to them about the forecast and remind them to take an umbrella.

Yes, Monsoon 2008 has left a scar ;)

Indeed. STFU, and GET SOME.

This is IRONMAN. PantyMan (tm) is having their event elsewhere.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Weather can vary at LP, I remember descending into Keene on the second loop in a downpour in 2002 and then the run being a humid steambath on River Rd that same afternoon after the sun came back out.

Have fun everyone, it is an awesome race!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
short of sleet and ice, nothing could possibly be worse than st croix...or amzof...or epicman...or any number of my training days this year. the weather looks awesome to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck everybody!

Must've freezing up ther, it's 51 degrees in Shandaken this morning.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What typically happens if there is lightening during the ride or run? Weather report suggests scattered thunderstorms tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [amclean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
typically you end up getting wet.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [amclean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-storms tend to be more of an afternoon thing up there.

"Just" rain can be an anytime thing. And usually is.

Good luck everyone! Have fun!
GET SOME.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
typically you end up getting wet.

LOLZ. well played.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

GET SOME.

2008 we got stormed on during the swim and I never even knew it. Stayed with us all day and, with my significant girth, I quite enjoyed it the cool and wet. Spectators and wee little triathletes with less insulation froze their tuckuses off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...but do they pull people from the course? Or are portions of the event cancelled? Weather is do sporadic up here, I hope they keep their heads and let us keep racing. It could be thunderstorms for 10mins and then blazing sun...
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

GET SOME.

2008 we got stormed on during the swim and I never even knew it. Stayed with us all day and, with my significant girth, I quite enjoyed it the cool and wet. Spectators and wee little triathletes with less insulation froze their tuckuses off.

We had a bit o' rain in '06, right at the start of the swim. I remember one of the youtube vids of the start, had somebody in the background saying aloud "I wonder if they even know it's raining?"
Answer - no. Wet is wet.
I was a wee triathlete w/ less insulation, and was definitely more than a bit nipply for the first half of the first loop of the bike.

amclean - they've had some pretty epic stormage there over the years during the race, and I don't think they've ever done anything different.
Now, if it's T-storming around the time of the swim start.... I dunno.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amclean wrote:
...but do they pull people from the course? Or are portions of the event cancelled? Weather is do sporadic up here, I hope they keep their heads and let us keep racing. It could be thunderstorms for 10mins and then blazing sun...

The only way thunderstorms would affect the race would be if they were taking place during the swim. If they were coming pre-swim they they would delay the start of the swim or would ultimately cancel the swim portion if the delay was too long. During the swim, they would pull people out. After the swim, you're on your own. In 2003 there where thunderstorms with hail during the bike. The water up near the bike finish was a torrent several inches deep but the show when on.

Have fun and enjoy the day no matter,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jul 27, 13 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amclean wrote:

You're competing in an Ironman. Act like it. A little bit of rain, lightening, zombie apocalypse, etc. It's all good on race day.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next