Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
This morning here in upstate NY the dew point was 74F with and air temp of 77F. and I was sweating like a butcher on my 6:30am ride. It's been less humid and with a lower heat index in Hawaii this month than the Rochester area.

It was quite balmy this morning. I went out at around 5:45, and I began sweating after pumping a few pounds into my tires. I had sweat rolling down my glasses in the first 5 minutes of the ride.

While I'd rather the water stay warm for a non-wetsuit swim, I'm really eager for the temperatures to break after tomorrow. Getting up out of my chair should not elicit the same response as 30 minutes of highly aerobic exercise.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
So, pack the sleeveless wetsuit?

I only have a full :(

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was shocked to see 83 on my temperature guage in my car at 8:30 this morning. I'm doing our club swim tonight at 6pm. I'm thinking I might need to go naked and afraid ;)

Any chance of weight gain this week will be taken care of by a quick run after the swim tonight. Or by bike commuting tomorrow. I honestly don't know how people in the south deal with this shit for months at a time.

BTW...some forecasts (depending on what website you look at) are calling for lows in the high 30's in Lake Placid this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chbelair wrote:
In the 5 or so years that I have been swimming in Mirror lake, this is the warmest it's ever felt and the only time I have ever swam the course without a wetsuit. The one thing I noticed is that from time to time, there are definitely some cold spots, some of these were close to the dock(where they'll take the temperature reading?).

The lake always feels (and measures) cool where the water gets stirred up. By the second loop of the swim, the water near the cable is always several degrees cooler than the water away from the cable.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seldom get aggravated by the weather, but when I moved to NY from Atlanta, it was in the midst of these exact conditions ... and not just a week of this, but several months of this.

If the swim is going to be wetsuit legal (as I suspect it will), then I hope the overnight temperatures really plummet so that it gets down to at least 73-74F. Even the sleeveless suit is a bit warm when the water temp is hovering at around 76F.

If you're going to swim in the buff, just beware of rogue security cameras. I mean ... it's not like you'll be pooping in an alley where there's no chance of anyone spotting you.

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you're going to swim in the buff, just beware of rogue security cameras. I mean ... it's not like you'll be pooping in an alley where there's no chance of anyone spotting you.

malicious fecal distribution is no laughing matter.

Ok...maybe it is. Thankfully there's wooded area's on some of my runs. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:

BTW...some forecasts (depending on what website you look at) are calling for lows in the high 30's in Lake Placid this weekend.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming that swimming with a wetsuit is safer than without (arguably) ... I assume the officials will do EVERYTHING they can to ensure the measured temp is below the wetsuit temperature cutoff ... in this recent climate of increased swimmer safety measures ????
SMW
Last edited by: SuperMegaWatts: Jul 18, 13 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [SuperMegaWatts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in 2010, I recall that the measurement was highly suspect on race morning, as the measured temperature had been safely above the cutoff for several days. By 2011, there was no way around it, and they had to concede to a mixed start.

If the temperature stays above the cutoff, but they take the small step of having separate wetsuit and non-wetsuit waves, then I don't see a huge safety differential with a non-wetsuit swim.

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
77 this morning. https://www.facebook.com/...mp;total_comments=52

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This would suck for the spectators and family....but I would be psyched if this holds true for race day.
SunJul 28

72°
50°
Showers
CHANCE OF RAIN:60% WIND:NNW at 5 mph
Details

ADVERTISEMENT
Latest Stories
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how much rain and when. Going down Keene is sketchy on dry roads never mind wet.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did American Zofingen Long Course in 50's and rain this spring. So, for me, nothing at LP would be remotely close to descending the mohonk in the rain. I'll take 60-70 and rain any day of the week and twice on sunday the 28th. I'll be weeping tears of joy if that forecast holds true...Dev will just be weeping ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen brother. That's exactly what I would like to see too.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be upset if wetsuits are allowed. Does it really look that way?

Swimmer
http://www.usprotri.com/LAMASTRA.html
http://www.bodyphyxinternational.com
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice...try not to hurt yourself by running too fast ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
77 degree lake today, weather predictions with 9 hours of rain race day... they should just cancel this silly thing
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [tridad3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no accuracy with a weather forecast 9 days in advance.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
There is no accuracy with a weather forecast 9 days in advance.

I guess there is some degree of truth there. The night before AmZof the forecast was for mid 60's and sunny. ummmmm.....yeahhhh...about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
''This would suck for the spectators and family....but I would be psyched if this holds true for race day.
SunJul 28

72°
50°
Showers
Details ''

When I saw this, I knew that you were thinking with the AZ side of your brain. Good Luck in the race!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pink Sarcasm;)
Hot/cold, raining/not, wetsuit/none... I know it is just a fun topic to discuss, but you have to admit it is a bit amusing to watch all the fuss...We all signed up for a challenging day, dealing with what comes is part of the fun! Have fun, challenge yourself...
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [tridad3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, and we will deal with what ever challenges the day brings (and it always brings challenges, doesn't it.!!

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
This would suck for the spectators and family....but I would be psyched if this holds true for race day.
SunJul 28

72°
50°
Showers
Details

ADVERTISEMENT
Latest Stories

This is what I get for racing in the North East. I should just stick to racing in the Carribbean, Nevada or in the middle of the south Pacific...Japan, Taiwan and Korea in July would be good too. Oh well. I guess this is what I signed up for. Can't be "that much worse" than Epicman 2013...then again we had IMLP 2008 and 2003 with the torrential monsoons each year. Seems like it has been 5 years since the last round so we are due as the cycle has returned every 5 years.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
77 this morning. I'm guessing temps will peak this evening and then gradually come down given the forecast.

10 day forecasts count for NOTHING more than a guess, but currently calling for cool and "chance" of showers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 3800m ow swim this morning. Very fugly, I felt I was going backwards at times. If the Monday morning water temp is still above 76, I will be in full panic mode.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply

Prev Next