Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mid v. deep rim Zipps
Quote | Reply
I am currently training and racing on Zipp mid-deep clinchers and am considering getting a set of Zipp deep rims or a disc just for racing. Will I experience much of a difference or is that a waste of money? Any input will be much appreciated.

BTW- I am 6"3", 210lbs. and usually race Olympic and half-ironman distances. In 04, however, I intend to attempt my first ironman (Ultramax at Lake of the Ozarks).

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Mid v. deep rim Zipps [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can pretty much be sure that a disc and a deep rim front or a set of deep rims will be faster than a mid-v set. It's debatable how much faster however...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Mid v. deep rim Zipps [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no first-hand experience with this, but I believe John Cobb wrote on the bicyclesports.com forum that a disc will save you >5min over an IM, even compared to a very fast wheel like an trispoke.

sell the mid deep rims, buy some heavy, ugly ass clincher rims and train on those. Get a set of deep or trispokes to race on, tubular of course. My road race bike weight is 22 with training wheels and 19.5 with my race wheels. Big big difference in acceleration and climbing. I now climb like a brick, not a cinder block.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply