Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Michiganders
Quote | Reply
Can you guys give me an idea of what the drive time/hassle factor is to get to the site of the Steelhead Tri (Benton Harbor) from the Detroit or Chicago (Midway) airports?
Quote Reply
Re: Michiganders [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Closer from Chicago I think- like 2.5 hours? From detroit I bet every bit of 3.5 hours. Sounds like a great event. I might see you there (a week after Wisconsin...ouch!).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, much closer from Chicago. Though Chicago traffic can be horrifying depending on when you're driving through.
Quote Reply
Re: Michiganders [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the plane fare being equal, I think I'd opt for flying into Detroit. The driving mileage might be a little more, but with the 70mph speed limit on I-94 in Michigan, you can cover a lot of ground in a hurry. The speed limit is only 55mph through Indiana on the way from Midway to Michigan and the traffic can be brutal, as one of the previous posters mentioned.

I'll see you there too!

Regards,

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benton Harbor is a 100 miles from Midway, 265 miles from Detroit and 80 miles if you fly into Grand Rapids. Chicago is only a headache going in or coming out then it's an easy drive. Detroit is way too far. Grand Rapids might be a little more expensive to fly into but the drive is nice and easy.

Hope that helps-
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Michiganders [Dan Socie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second that. Fly into Grand Rapids. If not I would suggest Chicago, just time your flight so that you miss rush hour. see you there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To all interested in coming to the Steelhead Triathlon. I am originally from Dearborn, MI and moved to St. Joseph, MI about 2 1/2 years ago. It is 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 hours from Detroit and it is 1 - 1 1/2 hours from Chicago. Trust me I have done both drives numerous times. The best place to fly into actually is South Bend, IN. Airport. The airport is smaller (less hassell) and is 30 minutes from Benton Harbor.

I own a swim shop in St. Joseph called FastTimes Swim Gear and we are the official swim sponsor for that weekend event.

Trust me when I say that all three disciplines of this course are incredible and fast. Should be a great race.

Tom Demerly I'd like to see you that weekend. I use to coach DRD (mid 90's)when you would swim with us in the mornings sometimes, and have been on a few Wednesday night rides. God luck in Wisconsin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
consider kalamazoo as well. about 1 hr. away. don't go from midway. traffic is terrible. gary, in could be a viable option, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Michiganders [trirn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Mike, If you want, you can stay at my home in Plymouth Michigan about 25 minutes from Metro outside of Detroit. I'll be doing the race along with some other friends. Everyone will be staying with me and I have an extra bedroom/futon you can use. Let me know IronmanRog@hotmail.com
Quote Reply