Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Michi Weiss will answer your questions here

michi weiss just won ironman cozumel this past weekend, in pretty convincing style, against a field containing someone who i consider a top-5 worldwide ironman racer in eneko llanos.

he asked me if i thought he would be welcome answering questions on the slowtwitch forum. "why wouldn't he be?" you might ask, because it's always welcome when a top pro, most obviously jordan rapp, shares his "secrets" as well as just his recounting of his race experience with forum members. the reason is because this is michi's first race in a couple of years. you can read the slowtwitch coverage of his 2yr ban. if you follow the links on the "related stories" at the bottom of that article you'll find references to the excellent and tough reporting of our editor in chief, herbert krabel, on the austrian doping scandal/ring/connection that included pro and AG triathletes and cyclists.

michi is probably one of the top-3, top-4, cyclists in triathlon right now. i think kienle, starykowicz, weiss might be the top-3, i like to think our man jordan compares favorably. that's the cream. because michi's also big, he's got some big, gaudy power numbers when he rides. maybe he'll share his power file. he's been an SRM athlete for many years.

you can ask him whatever you want. if you're critical of him because of his connection to doping, you're right to be. i'm not going to shield him from any questions. i do not know the details of his doping case, but i'm not going to pretend whatever it was he did was an accident or just in keeping with the zeitgeist at that time or any of that, and you should not think that either.

i would only ask you all this one favor. i do not remember anyone, ever, coming on here after a doping conviction and freely offering to field any and all questions. that takes some courage, and it's why you don't see it happening in running, in cycling or in triathlon. george hincapie is not coming on slowtwitch offering to field any questions. nor is levi or zabriskie or anyone else. nor do i know of that happening on any cycling forum (maybe it did, but i don't know of it). maybe someday lance will come on slowtwitch and answer your questions. michi is offering to do that. this does not absolve him of past wrongdoing, it does not balance the scales, it does not offset anything.

what i can say is that he is a legitimately nice guy. he's polite, he respects THIS sport, meaning triathlon, and in the time i have known him i do believe that means he respects it enough to train and race clean. i'm just asking that if he comes on here and answers your questions that you do not treat him shabbily. that does not mean i'm censoring our any themes you want to explore in your questions. it just means that whatever it is you ask, you ask it in a civil manner. in other words, the way i mandate that you treat and talk to each other is the way i would like you to treat and talk to him.

i'm sure michi will want all of your questions to be about his training, his nutrition, his power, his equipment choices (when you're on suspension you're not fielding offers from sponsors, which has one benefit of being able to race exactly what you want), tactics, and so forth. but he's prepared to read any of your questions. i don't know what he'll answer, how he'll answer, and he may even just decide to give this experiment a pass. that said, fire away with any questions you have and we'll see what happens.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

I've been critical of Michi (and basically all athletes convicted of doping) but I welcome his willingness to come on here and answer questions. It does take courage. This kind of thing is also what makes slowtwitch so great.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Since I haven't really followed your past much, if at all...I'll go first. Convicted...why would someone...you...or anyone, in your opinion...dope? Is it honestly to move up in ranks financially through winnings or would it be more to fill an ego need? Is it that someone just feels inadequate & needs to feel good about themselves? Not pointing fingers at you specifically, but what drives that sort of behavior in your opinion Michi? Trying to be respectful here not mean...just looking for an answer as to why? Finally, welcome back, congrats on your win!
Last edited by: Rocky M: Dec 6, 13 8:29

Slowman wrote:
i don't know what he'll answer, how he'll answer, and he may even just decide to give this experiment a pass. that said, fire away with any questions you have and we'll see what happens.

Sounds like maybe the title of the thread should be "Michi Weiss may answer some of your questions here"

Not expecting this to get answered but I'll go ahead:

Do you have any remorse for effectively taking $ straight out of other athletes pockets due to your previous decietful actions? Do you have any intention to make financial amends to those athletes?

Michi, do you find the "outrage" (as seen on twitter) by your peers to be justified and appropriate as their way to keep triathlon clean?

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter

Thanks Dan, for giving me this great opportunity.

Slowtwitchers:
I will answer all constructive questions related to training, nutrition, tech, power etc., but also how times have changed to the better regarding the fight against doping.
I don't look back anymore, only forward through the front windshield, without getting distracted by the rear view mirror. The last two years were very humbling for me and required true Ironman skills: mental strength and endurance.
As long as you respect that I would love to communicate with you all in style.

Again, I appreciate Dan's support tons.
He gave me a basic FIST bike fit earlier this year in March.
I was on training camp in the San Diego area, a place where i got to know many great friends over the last five years.
As i met Dan at the Slowtwitch gathering in Kona 2012, i asked him if he would fit me, and he said "yes, just come to my place, you will be my guest".
So i drove up in late March from Chula Vista, where i was staying at my buddy Kevin Koresky, into the desert.
Dan hosted me on his Ranch, treated me alomost like his son (he cooked for me and brewed great coffee).
The fit on the FIST fitting bike and on the GURU machine was very successful, and we went for a scenic bike ride.

Therefore, part of my Ironman Cozumel bike performance is Dan's credit.

Have a good one,
Michi

I don't think there is enough popcorn in the world for how this thread is gonna progress......

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [WaySub4] [ In reply to ]

graham, i have a lot of respect for you. but there's various ways you could have phrased your question, and still asked your question. if you have no respect for michi, please at least have some for me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [michi_weiss] [ In reply to ]

Welcome and thanks in advance for answering our questions. Congratulations on your recent win - you were putting in work and making it look effortless on the east side of the island.

You are running in 2nd place in an Ironman. One minute behind the leader. There is an out and back turn around ahead and after the turn around you are 8 minutes behind the leader. Seemingly no way you could loose or gain more than 30 seconds in that amount of time, when in fact you "lost" 7 minutes of time. You have the splits from three people you know well and trust. None of you actually saw the person cut the course but it would be physically impossible for them to gain that amount of time short of jumping in a very fast car.
You finish in 2nd place two minutes behind the "winner". Running them down but not enough to close the 7 minutes they almost 100% for sure cut off the course.

They are still listed as the winner, ect.

What do you do as a result of this?

What is your height/weight when competing? Interesting to see it compared to top bikers/runners at Kona.

Congrats on the win and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

I raced at Cozumel this year, as well, and know firsthand how brutal the conditions were at times (my DNF due to some pretty bad dehydration should prove that!). In thinking about it after the race, it almost seems that the cooler weather in the days leading up to Sunday robbed the athletes of some potentially useful time acclimating to the island's intense heat and accounting for the hydration/sodium needs that may change in such heat.

Did you feel that the weather leading up to the race in any way made the race-day weather more difficult to handle? Any suggestions for how to deal with similar situations in the future?

Also, you passed by me on the bike at such a speed that you had your own cross-wind. Hell of a ride that day, especially in that headwind. Congrats on hanging on for the title.

-Chris

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!

So, height, weight, power numbers from IMCoz? I commend you for staying in the doping pool from the start of the ban. How much out of pocket was that?

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [dforbes] [ In reply to ]

I understand that everybody has an opinion, and respect that.
However, regarding fellow pros and their venting on social media:
I think it is very unprofessional.
If i was in their position, i would stay out of it completely, yet still communicate that our sport is (hopefully) clean, and that ADAMS whereabouts, biological passport, and drug testing in general are actually working.
In my opinion, by Tweeting in foul-mouthed language, they don't show class at all. Do you think one single sponsor of them supports that?
Whatever happened, and why i got suspended, doesn't it actually show that there are working rules and punishment?
From my point of view, these unprofessional Tweets are not good for our sport. Athletes better be talking about their training, racing, and that they get drug tested.

Dan, the respect is mutual and I have the ability to have respect for Mr. Weiss should he own up to his past, my understanding to this point is that this has not occurred. I think this thread might achieve what you're hoping to achieve should he begin by taking responsibility. Otherwise, I don't see it going well. I stand by my question, it may be blunt but I believe it is fair and I'd like an answer although I probably will not recieve one.

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [Power13] [ In reply to ]

Power13 wrote:
I don't think there is enough popcorn in the world for how this thread is gonna progress......

-----

Yeah this is one of those."Well it seemed like a good idea at the time" things that we really regret..I hope and that this thread remains civil and while I'm at it,I also hope a couple of horny Swedish backpacker girls come knocking on my door tonight.

---

Re: Michi Weiss will answer your questions here [WaySub4] [ In reply to ]

WaySub4 wrote:
Dan, the respect is mutual and I have the ability to have respect for Mr. Weiss should he own up to his past, my understanding to this point is that this has not occurred. I think this thread might achieve what you're hoping to achieve should he begin by taking responsibility. Otherwise, I don't see it going well. I stand by my question, it may be blunt but I believe it is fair and I'd like an answer although I probably will not recieve one.

So you basically feel justified in how you worded your question because he has not sufficiently atoned for his past regressions? am i reading that right?

Congrats on your win. I was plodding up the east side of the island on my 2nd loop when you blew by as if the wind was at your back instead of in our face.

Do you build a large volume of cycling base in the off season or do you tend to maintain a large dose of intense quality work all year round?

Do you race with power? If not, how do you ride so fast/hard into the wind and still have a great marathon left in you? I dont race with power and the wind always kills me and ruins my day.

I know you only want to look forward, but that's close to impossible without looking back (given the past and just coming off a 2yr ban). My question is this:

1. Do you think your doping had an effect on your win? Meaning were the physical enhancements/benefits from doping still showing. When you stopped, did the benefits drop off completely? Did you return to your pre-doping form and abilities?

1a. Or if you answer that the effects of doping had nothing to do with your win, were you concentrating purely on power/speed during the 2yr ban, basically a long 2yr offseason training regiment to specifically focus on power and speed instead of endurance?

2. What made you cross the line to start doping? How will you not cross that line again?

thanks!