Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Miamiman
Quote | Reply
Looking for updates about Miamiman and/or Multirace. Heard some rumors but looking for more input.
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [bubbahhi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if COVID doesn't kill you, the traffic on the poorly managed bike course certainly will.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard some rumors that MultiRace sold Miami Man. In fact, someone posted an e-mail on Facebook from an anonymous MultiRace employee that claimed so, but it could not be confirmed. I would classify that as rumor. But for the meantime, the race status is still in the dark.
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Well, if COVID doesn't kill you, the traffic on the poorly managed bike course certainly will.

I concur

I won’t go back

Hoping 2021 is at another location
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's very unlikely that we will have a large event in Miami this year. Most of our kids are not yet even in school in person and we are just opening our restaurants to eat inside this week.

That aside there are rumors swirling that Multirace is perhaps out of business. That would be a shame and I cannot actually confirm it. I did reach out to Aleck DaGrosa to try and confirm the rumor. He got my message - replied and asked me where I had heard the rumor but he did not confirm it or deny it.
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kind of a bummer -- the Key West tri is one of my favorite races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

That final leg back into the park was one of the sketchiest things I have ever done on a bike.

I really like the race and the organizers, but that chunk of road is wild.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the original owners of multirace are back. Just got an email this morning.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Looks like the original owners of multirace are back. Just got an email this morning.

"Dear xxxxxx,
This message is from Rob and Mercedes Childers, the Founders of Multirace.com, the Miami Man Triathlon, and many of your other favorite races. We sold Multirace back in 2013 and there has been a lot of speculation and rumors flying around regarding Multirace lately. We aren’t prepared to tell you the full story yet, but the full truth will all come out very soon. What we can tell you right now is that WE ARE BACK! We are planning a full slate of events in 2021 with all of your favorite races in all of your favorite venues (Key Biscayne, Fort DeSoto, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach, Key West, etc.). We are going to RAISE THE BAR big time! Look for a HUGE announcement this week!
Yours Truly,
Rob & Mercedes Childers"

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kept hearing rumors about this. I am happy to hear a little bit of news and also super curious what it will mean.

I had actually tried to email Rob to ask (because I'm nosey and prefer facts to rumors) but the email address I had bounced back.

Yesterday, when I got this message I tried to reply and the reply bounced back. So, unrelated to anything if anybody sees Rob maybe tell him his email forwarding setup is perhaps not working. Lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll mention something to him if I see him out riding. We usually cross paths but it's been a while since I've seen him.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was announced Challenge Miami, for March 2021, inside Homestead Speedway Stadium.
For those locals, Multirace used to have a MiamiMan "Spring Version" there.
Maybe, is something related ?!?
If not....one more event in Miami !
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's related but I could be wrong. It is very exciting because I think March is the best time of year for a long race here. People frequently go to Puerto Rico or Haines City that time of year. We will see. I'm planning to register.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I emailed Multirace and haven't got a reply, called the number on their website and it says that it doesn't work. I called Mack Cycle to see if they knew if the MiamiMan was happening, they said they weren't sure but to contact Multirace. Just trying to figure out if the race is still happening or not. I bet a lot of out of state people as well would like to know to try to make travel plans.

Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [90mtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MultiRace is probably bankrupt and unlikely to return any fees. It will be up to USAT to see if tbey can pull a rabbit out of the hat. Meanwhile, don't throw good money after bad.

Former owners tried and failed to reacquire the assets of MultiRace and are setting up a new company called Integrity Multisport. You can infer which company does not have integrity. The new company will start hosting races in 2021. But they don't own MiamiMan or have anything to do with it. It's looking very grim at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer. Multi race put on a ton of fun events.

As long as Tri Key West returns, I’ll be okay.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Integrity has it on their tentative race schedule for December 2021.
https://integritymultisport.com/

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Sep 12, 20 18:13
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
cloy wrote:

I concur

I won’t go back

Hoping 2021 is at another location

this seems typically true with most tri;s in Florida, that USAT allows them to operate on fully open roads. Which is why USAT is just an insurance company, offering nothing more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I confess I'm getting more than a little grumpy over this race. We've all heard informally that Multirace is out of business. Surely this race isn't happening and no doubt the money is gone gone gone. Fine, show some basic maturity and ethics and fess up.

And then there's USAT. This is supposedly a national championship race. Bare minimum they should at least be publicly acknowledging that there's a problem and they're going to work out a solution. They're exactly as responsive as Multirace.
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's less than two months out from race day and you're still not able to sign up... It's safe to say that it ain't hapenning.

If you're local and you really want a half-iron, look at the Treasure Coast Tri on Nov. 15th.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my specific case I've been signed up since last year's race. They just suspended registration a couple of months ago, either due to COVID uncertainty or their own financial uncertainty. I'm not local though that sounds like a fun race.
Quote Reply
Re: Miamiman [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup this is a stinky situation. I have directly reached out to Aleck and asked what is going on and he's just not sharing any information with me.

Personally, I think the silence is a poor decision. But in the land of obvious statements it's his company and he gets to run it however he chooses. As an athlete I much prefer the race directors who have been up front early and often with information this year. Kudos to Game On and Sommer Sports who have both been pretty good about that this year.

The Miami rumor mill on events shifts and changes with the wind. On Tuesday morning I heard a rumor that the Miami Marathon in January was cancelled and then later that afternoon I heard another rumor that it's likely confirmed to go forward. So that's worthless info.

The one very common rumor that everybody is sharing is that right now there are no event permits being issued right now for anything. Because everybody is saying that - I'm going to guess that it's true. I don't have any special knowledge though and it could change tomorrow. I don't guess that it it will. I don't think MiamiMan is happening. But that's just a guess and if I turn out to be wrong I would actually be pretty happy about that because it would mean that we are having events again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premium Plus Sports sent out the following update yesterday:

Re - 2020 Multisport Festival in Kendall/Miami Dade - Nov 14 & 15
Similarly, Miami/Dade County website also does not list Miamiman event. PPS contacted Miami/Dade Parks & Recreation (Health & Fitness dept, 786-315-5410) who said that the reason the event is not listed on the county website because its cancelled or rescheduled.
Further, we contacted Larry & Penny Thompson Park office directly and they show the Miamiman event on the calendar with a note - "awaiting update from organizor"
This update is to assist everyone with making a decision. PPS suggests not to plan participation at either of these Nationals in 2020. Save your money. We continue to hold rooms which can ce cancelled 1-week prior w/o penalty. Do not commit on any airfare.
Happy Training!! Be Healthy!! Keep Smiling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems that that the ultra distance championship is still on:

This event is ON and registration is OPEN! Clermont, Florida, will be hosting the 2020 Ultra-Distance National Championships in conjunction with the 30th Annual Great Floridian Triathlon on October 24, 2020!

And USAT still has the Miamiman listed:

USA Triathlon is excited to return to Miami for the third year in a row for the USA Triathlon Multisport National Championships Festival! The festival, hosted as part of the annual Miami Man Triathlon, will bring together 5 USA Triathlon National Championships on November 14-15, 2020.

It would be nice if someone would shed some light on the matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
It's less than two months out from race day and you're still not able to sign up... It's safe to say that it ain't hapenning.

If you're local and you really want a half-iron, look at the Treasure Coast Tri on Nov. 15th.

Anyone have any experience with this race organization? Will be visiting family in that part of Florida in November.
Quote Reply

Prev Next