Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Messick on how they train. OMG
Quote | Reply
Messick did himself zero favors.

In fact he proved what most of us thought about Ironman.

But wow.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [TheProfessor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack was pretty chill and to the point. If you are going to act like a dick, then why bother going on the podcast at all!? Like you said, did himself zero favours. Will be interesting to see what others think...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cliff notes? Link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot find an interview with Andrew Messick on how they train. Am I missing something? I hope not!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am conflict-averse to the point where I find listening to heated debate quite stressful, I'm not sure I can listen to this! Could someone summarize the main points?
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Cliff notes? Link?

Paid subscription currently but I’m sure he will release it in a few weeks.

But wow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK Thanks. Been listening for a while did not realise there was a paywall on some of the podcasts - but I do now!!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has a subscription through Patreon. It's on there if you want to listen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheProfessor wrote:

But wow.

Can you please give us a summary of the interview? Key points here? Otherwise, this feels like click-bate

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And also how he said Elon Musk is taking Ironman under Tesla brand... so crazy.

Or maybe somebody post what was actually said?
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Or did Elon Musk make it into the Exec challenge and got a slot to Kona....racing with the women this year? And riding an electric bike? lol

(above should be pink)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Feb 1, 23 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. This is more fun.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing here, wasted my time.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Or did Elon Musk make it into the Exec challenge and got a slot to Kona....racing with the women this year? And riding an electric bike? lol

(above should be pink)

How do we know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheProfessor wrote:

But wow.

so how does he train... give a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this one friend from high school who I essentially lost touch with and who never posts on Facebook anymore. She is a stay at home mom and I assume is pretty busy with her three kids. Now periodically, she will make some random post about selling teeth whitening toothpaste, and within ten minutes, over a dozen people from different parts of the U.S. will comment saying "oh wow, that worked so well for my family" or "we need more, will send you an order". This thread has that vibe so far. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread: OMG CWOT.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
I am conflict-averse to the point where I find listening to heated debate quite stressful, I'm not sure I can listen to this! Could someone summarize the main points?
  • no, we're not going to tell you how much we make
  • pro long course triathletes only exist because of the ironman brand
  • the pros can fuck off. we're not paying them more money
  • 60+ ladies are hugely important and will always have a place at world championships. we're not shrinking the field.
  • women and men will never race on the same day in different locations for world championships

I knew nothing about Messick going into this, but I can't understand why anyone here would like the guy at all. He's very much the CEO of a private company interested in maximizing profits and couldn't care less about the sport. He doesn't give a shit about pros or even the most competitive people around here and he'd rather maximize the number of age groupers he can get to each and every race.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [Vertebrae6395] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vertebrae6395 wrote:
cherry_bomb wrote:

• no, we're not going to tell you how much we make
  • pro long course triathletes only exist because of the ironman brand
  • the pros can fuck off. we're not paying them more money
  • 60+ ladies are hugely important and will always have a place at world championships. we're not shrinking the field.
  • women and men will never race on the same day in different locations for world championships

I knew nothing about Messick going into this, but I can't understand why anyone here would like the guy at all. He's very much the CEO of a private company interested in maximizing profits and couldn't care less about the sport. He doesn't give a shit about pros or even the most competitive people around here and he'd rather maximize the number of age groupers he can get to each and every race.

And there is the issue.
Ironman is a business. But if they actually wanted to maximize the business, they would have started growing the sport, not the business, in 2007. (2007 is when they started setting up the current situation we're in)

Being a big fish in a small pond is always a bad idea in the long term.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to spoil the podcast by summarizing it and hope everyone gives it a listen, it's interesting ("It's not a popularity contest, it's about what's best overall for Ironman." - Messick from the interview).

Andrew Messick comes off extremely aggressive and disrespectful to Jack (he is eating in the middle of the podcast lol). I really don't understand why he went on the podcast as he comes off awful. Seemed completely unwilling to listen to what Jack was trying to say/ask.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I knew nothing about Messick going into this, but I can't understand why anyone here would like the guy at all. He's very much the CEO of a private company interested in maximizing profits and couldn't care less about the sport. He doesn't give a shit about pros or even the most competitive people around here and he'd rather maximize the number of age groupers he can get to each and every race."
---------------------------------------------------
I have NOT listened to the pod cast (most aren't very good). I do know Andrew personally and I can say for a fact that the tone of your statement above is completely false. I "like the guy" a lot. He is really pretty amazing in all he does. Of course his job is to a run a profitable company (so is mine). Yes, he cares deeply for the sport. Yes he cares about pros. Of course he wants to maximize the number of age groupers. He/they deliver an exceptional product. Now, that certainly doesn't mean I agree with everything, and we can chat about that if you like.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
Ironman is a business. But if they actually wanted to maximize the business, they would have started growing the sport, not the business, in 2007. (2007 is when they started setting up the current situation we're in)

Growing the sport brings more profit in the next decade. It's hard enough to get people to see past the next quarter, let alone the next year.

There's probably also a risk analysis. Growing the sport brings the risk of others eating some of the pie. Trademarking and copyrighting everything allows you to charge $900 for an event because there's no competition to drive prices, only what "60 year old ladies" are willing to pay.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"I knew nothing about Messick going into this, but I can't understand why anyone here would like the guy at all. He's very much the CEO of a private company interested in maximizing profits and couldn't care less about the sport. He doesn't give a shit about pros or even the most competitive people around here and he'd rather maximize the number of age groupers he can get to each and every race."
I have NOT listened to the pod cast (most aren't very good). I do know Andrew personally and I can say for a fact that the tone of your statement above is completely false. I "like the guy" a lot. He is really pretty amazing in all he does. Of course his job is to a run a profitable company (so is mine). Yes, he cares deeply for the sport. Yes he cares about pros. Of course he wants to maximize the number of age groupers. He/they deliver an exceptional product. Now, that certainly doesn't mean I agree with everything, and we can chat about that if you like.
I'd be curious to hear if you still like the guy after listening to this conversation. He does not seem to care deeply about the sport nor does he seem to care at all about the pros. I get his job is to maximize profits and he seems to do that well so I guess that makes him a good CEO of IronMan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, he is a friend. I promise I will still like him.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Messick on how they train. OMG [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

You should listen to the podcast.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply

Prev Next