Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mental Toughness
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKH8r9FknE0

Ran across this the other day...we all bust our butts to get the right equipment. Maybe it's the intangibles and it's hiding upstairs and we have to tap into it.

Either way, interesting thoughts and worth five minutes of your day.
Last edited by: ScrapIronSteve: Sep 14, 20 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [ScrapIronSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of the central governor theory and talks around brain plasticity. Not sure I understood all the concepts behind it but bottom line the more we do something uncomfortable the less painful it becomes.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Reminds me of the central governor theory and talks around brain plasticity. Not sure I understood all the concepts behind it but bottom line the more we do something uncomfortable the less painful it becomes.
Funny you mention central governor theory, it was hit on in a book I read that's somewhat related to the topic. Really interesting analysis of the mental side of endurance.

Book is Endure by Alex Hutchinson. Highly recommend it for anyone on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mental toughness talked in the video is an interesting concept. Every person knew that but hardly to know the real meaning of the word. Athletes know that because they are always thriving ,and well prepared.
Most of the persons should have the mental toughness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I especially liked the Can' Hurt Me audiobook from Goggins. Some of the podcast-style mid chapter discussions are where you can see how mental toughness is created out of what a person sees as necessity.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
I especially liked the Can' Hurt Me audiobook from Goggins. Some of the podcast-style mid chapter discussions are where you can see how mental toughness is created out of what a person sees as necessity.

Came here to post this. Agree with you 100%.

His two appearances on The Joe Rogan Experience are worth watching as well.

And then there is Akira the Don.

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found Endure also very interesting and quite enjoyable read. Funny side fact: I bought it because I am great fan of Michael Hutchinson, whose books (The Hour, Faster) are just hilarious, really very enjoyable reads for cyclists.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13873052
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He’s a nice guy. I interviewed him for the Coffee, Beer, Coaching and Dogs podcast last year. His work is one piece of a larger amount of training that should be done with the brain and for endurance sports. If you have any questions, please let me know. http://cbcdmedia.com/...al-mental-toughness/[/url]

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScrapIronSteve wrote:

Ran across this the other day...we all bust our butts to get the right equipment. Maybe it's the intangibles and it's hiding upstairs and we have to tap into it.

Appreciate the post and interest in the video. Hope it was helpful to some folks here. I'll do my best to address some of the comments and questions below about the topic as schedule allows. Crazy week so may be a bit slow but happy to see the interest - definitely applicable here! Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:

Central Governor Theory is certainly fascinating. It basically says the brain stops you (early) before you cause physiological damage by continuing onward (and thus have some left in the tank to continue). Tim Noakes was the originator of that one. However, in the past few years, it has generally fallen by the wayside as additional research has come to the forefront. If you want to dig into this one, look up Dr. Samuel Marcora and his research on the psychobiological model. Super interesting guy - I had unique opportunity to co-present with him at a conference in Germany last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bgoldstein wrote:
tamiii wrote:
Funny you mention central governor theory, it was hit on in a book I read that's somewhat related to the topic. Really interesting analysis of the mental side of endurance.

Endure is a great read! If you enjoyed it, check out How Bad Do You Want It by Matt Fitzgerald. They cite some similar studies and sources, but still a worthwhile read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bgoldstein wrote:
tamiii wrote:

Excellent recommendation. Endure came out right as I was starting my research on mental toughness and I had trouble setting it down, even though I needed to be reading 300 research studies on related subjects! He actually quotes Dr. Sam Marcora and his research I mentioned above a few times in that book. I'd venture to say there is nobody better than Dr. Alex Hutchinson when it comes to taking complex concepts and making them digestible. If you don't already read his articles in Outside Magazine (and if on Twitter, follow him there), definitely worth it! We had a chance to get out for a run together and speak on a few occasions. He's not only a talented writer and brilliant individual - he also seems like a really good guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know where I stand in terms of the mental game.

I do know there are several guys I ride with that routinely put in 1.5x the volume I do with the same goals of road bike racing and cyclocross/gravel. Some are younger, some are older. I have no idea where any of us lie in terms of winning the "genetic lottery".

All I know is that it seems like there is an "edge" a couple of them don't have that makes that extra volume advantage they have not play out to their advantage. Maybe it's how that "edge" comes into play while they're doing the work of their volume.

It doesn't mean they can't suffer. I just think that some folks always keep the volume at a "5 or 6" out of "10" when training in any given zone. They're at the very bottom of Z2 or not even out of Z1 for long rides. Their tempo rides are actually Z2. Etc..... You can't live with the knob turned to "11" all the time, sure. But you've gotta be willing to focus and hurt sometimes. If your Z2 is from like 180-210w or something...........don't go out every single Z2 ride and average 178w. Yeah, holding 205w for 3 or 4 hours will hurt more.......but it's what you need.

I don't know. I feel it is an intangible that is an edge.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I don't know where I stand in terms of the mental game.

I do know there are several guys I ride with that routinely put in 1.5x the volume I do with the same goals of road bike racing and cyclocross/gravel. Some are younger, some are older. I have no idea where any of us lie in terms of winning the "genetic lottery".

All I know is that it seems like there is an "edge" a couple of them don't have that makes that extra volume advantage they have not play out to their advantage. Maybe it's how that "edge" comes into play while they're doing the work of their volume.

It doesn't mean they can't suffer. I just think that some folks always keep the volume at a "5 or 6" out of "10" when training in any given zone. They're at the very bottom of Z2 or not even out of Z1 for long rides. Their tempo rides are actually Z2. Etc..... You can't live with the knob turned to "11" all the time, sure. But you've gotta be willing to focus and hurt sometimes. If your Z2 is from like 180-210w or something...........don't go out every single Z2 ride and average 178w. Yeah, holding 205w for 3 or 4 hours will hurt more.......but it's what you need.

I don't know. I feel it is an intangible that is an edge.

This. so much this. My upper Z2 is physically and mentally taxing. I've reset zone recently, and the thought of holding my upper Z2 for 5+ hours is daunting. But if I default into just shooting for 200 (because it's a nice, even number), I'm leaving some on the table.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think for AGers especially, mental toughness is tri is farrrrrr overrated. Yeah, I said it.

I think far more important in AG tri is DISCIPLINE. Specifically, the discipline to get up and do those workouts, day in, day out. Even if there are life obstacles and other constraints you have to work around.

You gimme a budding AGer who is highly disciplined and can do the entire coach plan year after year for several years, and even if they are afraid on race to go 'all into the pain/suffering zone', they'll wipe the floor against a similarly genetically talented AGer who can suffer to the MAX on race day, but has been semi-inconsistent with training or trains either too hard when it doesn't count and then pulls back too far otherwise.

I've been racing running/tri for 20 years now, and all my best, fastest races have come with the LEAST amount of personal suffering on race day. Literally every time. But those races have all come with the best training blocks (sometimes multiple prior training blocks) that led up to it and made those conditions possible.

Now if you're a pro/elite, ok, the differences can be small since talent is so high - suffering for them may literally mean the difference between winning the world championship vs nothing, but even so, look at how Tim odonnell took 2nd at Kona - even he says he suffered relatively little compared to prior years despite his great result.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I think for AGers especially, mental toughness is tri is farrrrrr overrated. Yeah, I said it.

I think far more important in AG tri is DISCIPLINE. Specifically, the discipline to get up and do those workouts, day in, day out. Even if there are life obstacles and other constraints you have to work around.

You gimme a budding AGer who is highly disciplined and can do the entire coach plan year after year for several years, and even if they are afraid on race to go 'all into the pain/suffering zone', they'll wipe the floor against a similarly genetically talented AGer who can suffer to the MAX on race day, but has been semi-inconsistent with training or trains either too hard when it doesn't count and then pulls back too far otherwise.

I've been racing running/tri for 20 years now, and all my best, fastest races have come with the LEAST amount of personal suffering on race day. Literally every time. But those races have all come with the best training blocks (sometimes multiple prior training blocks) that led up to it and made those conditions possible.

Now if you're a pro/elite, ok, the differences can be small since talent is so high - suffering for them may literally mean the difference between winning the world championship vs nothing, but even so, look at how Tim odonnell took 2nd at Kona - even he says he suffered relatively little compared to prior years despite his great result.

I think you mean discipline is underrated. Discipline and mental toughness are two different concepts, and one need not take the place of the other.

Part of what I really liked about Endure, which I plugged earlier in the thread, is the demonstrated link between mental fatigue and physical fatigue. If you do a taxing mental exercise before a workout, you will fatigue earlier. This is not impacted by discipline.

If you want to race at your best, you want both. Of course, discipline plays a large role, but the difference between equally talented, equally disciplined athletes can very easily be mental toughness. For all the talk of marginal gains and watts saved around here, the mental aspect is worth consideration. So much so, that before I read Endure, I didn't even realize how much some of these effects could play a role. Especially placebos and really believing in something, even if it doesn't actually help (ice baths is one example from the book). I think compression socks are probably a similar case, personally, because they cannot be tested against a true placebo treatment.

I used to think about mental toughness along these lines, I just didn't realize it. I still recall waiting on a T platform in Boston for 45 minutes when the wind chill was below 0 thinking that if I could suffer through that, my upcoming HIM would be fine. Embrace the suck. Learn to be uncomfortable. Train for the worst and hope for the best. And sometimes it's mental toughness that is needed to enable the discipline.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Thanks for putting this out there. I think a lot of folks come to the topic of mental toughness thinking this same thing. We actually looked at this in one of the studies. We had 3 runners perform a series of runs over a 13 week period. After a "wash-out" period (so improvements weren't simply learning curve), we applied a couple of the strategies I from the fMT model noted in the video in the first post. All runners not only saw increases in their levels of mental toughness but also saw significant (very significant) improvements in run times. Nothing changed with their training. It was probably my favorite of the studies we did on the topic. Here's the link if you wanted to take a deeper dive into that one: https://www.tandfonline.com/...4?journalCode=uasp20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bgoldstein wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I think you mean discipline is underrated. Discipline and mental toughness are two different concepts, and one need not take the place of the other.

Part of what I really liked about Endure, which I plugged earlier in the thread, is the demonstrated link between mental fatigue and physical fatigue. If you do a taxing mental exercise before a workout, you will fatigue earlier. This is not impacted by discipline.

If you want to race at your best, you want both. Of course, discipline plays a large role, but the difference between equally talented, equally disciplined athletes can very easily be mental toughness. For all the talk of marginal gains and watts saved around here, the mental aspect is worth consideration. So much so, that before I read Endure, I didn't even realize how much some of these effects could play a role. Especially placebos and really believing in something, even if it doesn't actually help (ice baths is one example from the book). I think compression socks are probably a similar case, personally, because they cannot be tested against a true placebo treatment.

I used to think about mental toughness along these lines, I just didn't realize it. I still recall waiting on a T platform in Boston for 45 minutes when the wind chill was below 0 thinking that if I could suffer through that, my upcoming HIM would be fine. Embrace the suck. Learn to be uncomfortable. Train for the worst and hope for the best. And sometimes it's mental toughness that is needed to enable the discipline.

^^^This. When I was training for races, I would make sure that I would go out in non-optimal weather conditions so that I’d know I could handle it on race day. One thing that I’ll never forget is one year at IMLP where the woman who was staying next to us dropped out in T1 after having a strong swim because it was raining. She simply said “I don’t like to ride in the rain” and wasted all that time, money, training etc.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^This. When I was training for races, I would make sure that I would go out in non-optimal weather conditions so that I’d know I could handle it on race day. One thing that I’ll never forget is one year at IMLP where the woman who was staying next to us dropped out in T1 after having a strong swim because it was raining. She simply said “I don’t like to ride in the rain” and wasted all that time, money, training etc.[/quote]
Well said. We identified that as "callousing." When I was training for RAAM, I would ride in basement w/ no TV/Music/Podcasts/etc and just stare at a target printed on a sheet of paper in front of me for hours. Just as you did with the weather, I wanted to know I could dial it in for long periods of solitude when out there on the roads for hours.

That (callousing) is one of the items that is included in the assessment.

Great stuff everyone. Keep it coming!!

-Coop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:

Would love to hear more about what you were able to apply from Goggins book (beyond the model he provides of a life of pushing beyond the norm). There's a reason we included a pic of him in the video...
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [Ironcoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironcoop wrote:
Would love to hear more about what you were able to apply from Goggins book (beyond the model he provides of a life of pushing beyond the norm). There's a reason we included a pic of him in the video...
The biggest take away for me is that improvements in mental toughness is something that can/should be worked on 24/7. His story is centered around physical accomplishments, but you can’t just work on the mind during physical bouts.
Next is growth mindset. It’s not a new-age way of thinking. It’s how you allow for improvement. As he says, it’s how cavemen improve.
And I really can identify with the concept of “Taking Souls.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Ironcoop wrote:

The biggest take away for me is that improvements in mental toughness is something that can/should be worked on 24/7. His story is centered around physical accomplishments, but you can’t just work on the mind during physical bouts.
Next is growth mindset. It’s not a new-age way of thinking. It’s how you allow for improvement. As he says, it’s how cavemen improve.
And I really can identify with the concept of “Taking Souls.”

No doubt - Goggins sets a good personal example of "work on mental toughness." And growth mindset is clearly an incredibly valuable perspective. However, were there actually specific steps you've adopted into your ongoing training to improve that MT? That's the bridge we're trying to build w/ the video and assessment. We'll keep improving it, but hopefully it provides some specifics for folks to be doing in their ongoing training.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Toughness [kane8907] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kane8907 wrote:
The mental toughness talked in the video is an interesting concept. Every person knew that but hardly to know the real meaning of the word. Athletes know that because they are always thriving ,and well prepared.
Most of the persons should have the mental toughness.

Exactly! Our goal w/ the research (and video to help folks get started) was to move beyond "YOU NEED MENTAL TOUGHNESS" to HOW we can actually increase our mental toughness in practical, applicable ways...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScrapIronSteve wrote:

Looks like quite a bit of interest on this one over on the video link. Happy to answer any additional questions from our mental toughness research if helpful. Take care everyone.
Last edited by: Ironcoop: Sep 23, 20 6:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScrapIronSteve wrote:

Here is link to one of our most intriguing studies that will resonate w/ many. Looked at influence of a personalized self-talk strategy on 3 runners. Examined how mental toughness levels shifted and finish times were enhanced. While I was optimistic we'd see something, I was surprised by the level of change
https://www.tandfonline.com/...4?journalCode=uasp20

That link may not offer full access to article, so here is link to PDF if you want to see more than abstract - https://drbradfordcooper.com/...talk-and-Runners.pdf

Have a good weekend everyone.
Quote Reply

Prev Next