Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes?
Quote | Reply
I have very narrow feet and it's difficult to order let alone find narrow running shoes in stores. I'm thinking about trying to find a color neutral women's shoe.

Any guys admit to wearing a ladies shoe to get a better fit?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
Quote Reply
Re: Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes? [mop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, back when I was a runner I wore Mizuno Wave Alchemys in a 9 W. The most manly colour combo had a lovely lavender mixed in with blue, so I carefully sharpied the femininity right out of them and had myself a great fitting pair of shoes. I have never had the same problem with buying narrow cycling shoes, do runners just have fat feet?

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread could get weird. I bought a pair of women's Lunaracers, the first generation, because they were on clearance and dirt cheap but fit well enough. Those are narrow shoes regardless and were very uncomfortable for the first week until my feet got used to them. They were awesome and I got a good 500 miles out of them, pretty good value for 45 bucks or whatever they cost. Coming to the point, I didn't buy them to get a better fit. But they worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've considered it, but found some of Saucony's mens sizes tend to be close enough. My problem is that my feet run narrow but no quite narrow enough for a 'narrow width' size in most brands.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are your feet narrow? Midfoot, forefoot, throughout? Some brands run a bit tighter in the toe box and heel, meaning that you can make them reasonably narrow (along the entire length) with proper lacing. I run in various shoes from Brooks, Inov8, Salomon, New Balance, and Saucony. Each has its own distinct width profile. I'd say that the Inov8 has the most narrow fit, throughout.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
I'd say that the Inov8 has the most narrow fit, throughout.

I wasn't aware of Inov8. Tried Saucony, Brooks, Asics, and Nike but I'll check into Inov8.

thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, figure out of you really need a NARROWer shoe and not just less VOLUME in the shoe (amount of extra material over and around your foot--so that you have to pull your laces so tight that the eyelets are touching).

But, yes, I did it all the time in high school before my size got too large, and I never found a Women's running shoe larger than Women's Size 12 (equivalent to a Men's 10 or 10 1/2 Width B).

Years later I finally found a Men's running shoe model that I thought was designed just for me with its features and benefits and came in AA narrow sizing. That's when I discovered that my feet aren't narrow because when bearing my body weight running in the narrow width shoes my feet splayed out over the midsole; I was very unstable and got blisters from rubbing the sides of the shoes with my normal width feet. I found that I simply had a very low volume foot with a very narrow heel and I was able to find a Men's shoe just right for me.

Extra Width or Extra Narrow shoes are designed for the width difference in the forefoot of the shoe only.

If you do need narrower and less volume, then be aware that Women's shoe sizing for very CUSHIONED and CURVED lasted shoes (produced for underpronators with higher arches) tends to run narrower in width but with more volume in the upper to accommodate that arch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been wearing ladies shoes since 2006. I have a normal width foot but like the feel of a narrower shoe.

Probably from all of the years of speedskating and hockey where I've had tight footwear.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear womens snowboard boots. I couldn't for the life of me find a pair of men's boots that could hold my ankles properly. Tried on a pair of women's boots and they were perfect. Of course, they were available in dark brown so you can't tell...

There are now a bunch of random things that I'll buy that are women's specific because it just works for my small body size better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, you mean athletic shoes....never mind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't believe that they are pH balanced, though they should be strong enough for a man.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mop wrote:
burnman wrote:
I'd say that the Inov8 has the most narrow fit, throughout.

I wasn't aware of Inov8. Tried Saucony, Brooks, Asics, and Nike but I'll check into Inov8.

A word of caution - Inov8 shoes are designed for low-drop seekers, and tend to be pretty aggressive. If you're not accustomed to that style of shoe, then I wouldn't start there. Also, some shoes that are designed to be unisex (e.g. Brooks T7) tend to fit more narrow than their male counterparts. That may be another good avenue to pursue, ahead of female-specific shoes.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes? [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markvoss wrote:
I never found a Women's running shoe larger than Women's Size 12 (equivalent to a Men's 10 or 10 1/2 Width B).

Extra Width or Extra Narrow shoes are designed for the width difference in the forefoot of the shoe only.

Yes, that would be a problem. While my foot is narrow, it isn't short (12) so that may not be an option afterall. And I wasn't aware that on extra narrow shoes the difference is in the forefoot only.

I'm glad I asked this question since I'm learning a lot.

thank you

Last edited by: mop: Feb 28, 12 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

A word of caution - Inov8 shoes are designed for low-drop seekers, and tend to be pretty aggressive. If you're not accustomed to that style of shoe, then I wouldn't start there. Also, some shoes that are designed to be unisex (e.g. Brooks T7) tend to fit more narrow than their male counterparts. That may be another good avenue to pursue, ahead of female-specific shoes.[/quote]
Yes, I googled and see they lean toward the minimalist but this one may work: Inov-8 Road-X 255 Men's Shoes and it's on clearance.

thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy women's running shoes all the time on clearence. I'm a size 42 D width which is pretty small on the mens' side and larger on the women's. It seems like there are always a nice pile of my size in the women's style and I stock up on them. If I'm lucky they are blue and purple instead of yellow and pink.
Quote Reply
Re: Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband has very narrow feet, I never thought of this before for him. I DO wear mens running shoes off and on. Right now I have a pair of Brooks mens trail shoes on order.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/...s-runningshoes-trail

I just sometimes find the womens shoes are not that appealing. I just liked the bright orange for trail shoes :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.borntoendure.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
I don't believe that they are pH balanced, though they should be strong enough for a man.

Win.

And I have wide feet, so should I buy clown shoes?

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes? [techknowgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy clown shoes if you are pH balanced to either seltzer or cream pie.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How narrow are you feet? I don't think mine could get much narrower and I've never had that problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
How narrow are you feet? I don't think mine could get much narrower and I've never had that problem.

I don't remember the size that was measured, it's been a while, but I do remember the sales clerk remarking something like, "yes, your feet are narrow". It's mostly in the heel area where it presents a problem. When it comes to dress shoes I either have to buy those with laces or loafers in narrow. Otherwise I feel like I'm wearing flip flops and I'll walk right out of them. Kind of clown's feet in reverse, I guess. I was just hoping to eliminate that feeling of my feet getting lost in my running shoes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a room mate back in the late '80s who was short and had small, narrow feet. He bought the womens shoes for every athletic endeavor. Worked just fine. The baby blue and pink accents made for some classic ribbing.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:) Plenty of times. I have normal width *but* low volume feet so will get a women's shoe if the men's size run is out.

I've never noticed a difference and nobody has ever said a thing about the colors to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Womens shoes and shaved legs. What must the world think.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Men with narrow feet - ever try ladies shoes? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
Oh, you mean athletic shoes....never mind

I'm seriously disappointed that we've got this far into the thread and no one has admitted to a penchant for crimson patent leather with 6 inch spike heels.

Perhaps they're all busy over in the LR..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having narrow feet and size 14, it gets kind of tricky ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next