Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Men only triathlon?
Quote | Reply
Would this fly?
Would there be interest?

Before anyone goes off the rails there was a all women Tri in Philadelphia and up until 2 yrs ago other ones in PA.

What say you?
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like the point of women only is to allow them more space since less women do triathlons in general. It also allows the pointy end to have their own race which is great, not something pointy end males need to worry about, so I don't really see the point of having a male only race outside of championships.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good idea; we can put it during White Men’s History Month.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:

So what your saying is your not taking my question serious?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel this would eliminate one of the better aspects of Triathlon for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Toby wrote:

I'm not taking it serious until you explain what you think you would achieve with such an event. Women's-only triathlon have reasoning behind it - usually something like providing women with an unintimidating environment. You can disagree with the reasoning, but they have goals. As long as you "just ask" if it would fly I'm assuming you're trolling. And I just fed the troll.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
I feel this would eliminate one of the better aspects of Triathlon for me.

I understand stand what you are saying.
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Toby wrote:

I'm not taking it serious until you explain what you think you would achieve with such an event. Women's-only triathlon have reasoning behind it - usually something like providing women with an unintimidating environment. You can disagree with the reasoning, but they have goals. As long as you "just ask" if it would fly I'm assuming you're trolling. And I just fed the troll.

Hahaha feed me Seymour....
No not trolling. I am however hoping for a reaction to start a conversation about inclusion or should I say exclusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Toby wrote:

No not trolling. I am however hoping for a reaction to start a conversation about inclusion or should I say exclusion.

OK: I have no problem with such an event being organized. But I have zero interest in participating in it.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Toby wrote:

So you don't think that there are any men that are intimidated by being in tight tri clothing around women?

Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Toby wrote:

OK: I have no problem with such an event being organized. But I have zero interest in participating in it.

Fair enough but why.
You have concerns about the optics of the participants?
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Toby wrote:

So you don't think that there are any men that are intimidated by being in tight tri clothing around women?

Now we are getting somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Toby wrote:

Probably there are, but that's not my point. My point is that Fishbum deployed a tried-and-true trolling technique: "just ask" an explosive question without any justification. If he would go to bat for the demographic of men with unresolved psychosexual issues giving them anxiety when in the company of women in tight lycra, then he's getting somewhere. That's not what he did however.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
spot wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Toby wrote:

Probably there are, but that's not my point. My point is that Fishbum deployed a tried-and-true trolling technique: "just ask" an explosive question without any justification. If he would go to bat for the demographic of men with unresolved psychosexual issues giving them anxiety when in the company of women in tight lycra, then he's getting somewhere. That's not what he did however.

I most certainly did ask an explosive question but I do have a purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Why be coy? Just state the purpose....
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Why be coy? Just state the purpose....

Because I wanted to start a conversation. This sometimes requires a bit of emotion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Because I wanted to start a conversation. This sometimes requires a bit of emotion.

It's hard to start a conversation about a men's only race if you can't state the rationale you have for having one.

I'm starting to agree with the above that you're a troll. You have no real intent in promoting a men's only race, you're just seeking to provoke "emotion" or to engaging in sophistry about the the existence of women's-only races. You're not providing much value in terms of a conversation.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 18, 18 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds great. Let me know where I can sign up for one

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Men only triathlon? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

It's hard to start a conversation about a men's only race if you can't state the rationale you have for having one.

I'm starting to agree with the above that you're a troll. You have no real intent in promoting a men's only race, you're just seeking to provoke "emotion" or to seeks some kind of rhetorical argument about the the existence of women's-only races. You're not providing much value in terms of a conversation.

So leave the thread and stop feading the troll!

With that said.
I think we should have a discussion about inclusion and exclusion based on gender. Some women feel like they need there own events because they feel intimidated for a multitude of reasons. Men on the other hand are expected to swallow any feelings that resemble this and crack on. Now if you bring up a all male event you can get some back lash. So if we truly want inclusion we need to stop the back handed exclusion...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
spot wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Toby wrote:

OK. But you accept without questioning the need or justification for women's only triathlons?

Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:

The only real positive I can think of, is less chance of your tires getting deflated before transition closes....

In all seriousness...i would participate in a male only event. I don't get caught up in societies overly politicized, looking to complain, social justice warrioring attitude.
With that being said, as a fan of the sport and understanding that it's overall participation numbers are low compared to other sports. So being as open as possible is the only way to draw new interest into the sport!

As I write this tho, I ask myself as a white male. What if I was able to KQ, and ironman decided that next year the WC would be 'LGBT only' or 'religious group X only' or 'racial group X only' I think I would be a little ticked off. So maybe I am a bit hypocritical in a small sense, as if it was just IRONMAN event X I really don't think I would care if it was a secluded group race!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll bite...

all this banter about "why" is silly, because no matter what the reason is, this is a horrible, horrible idea and it would be a sad day for triathlon if something like this were to happen.

there is no justifiable reason i can think of for putting on an event specifically to exclude women. there are many logical and acceptable reasons to have women-only races. IMO none of them really apply to men in the same way or to the same level which warrants having a race which excludes women.

if it's an intimidation thing, have a "beginner's-only" triathlon. or a "no-tight-clothes-allowed" triathlon...there's probably a way to alleviate whatever concerns you may have, and it probably doesn't involve gender exclusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:

Fair enough but why.

There are many categories of events I have no interest in participating in. Tough Mudder, full-distance Ironman, Aquabike, Otillo, and many more. Do you want to know why I don't want to do these types of events to?

Again, as long as you don't want to explain what's behind this, you're not entitled to serious responses.

And what do you even mean with "the optics of the participants"?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
OK. But you accept without questioning the need or justification for women's only triathlons?

They don't ask me if it would be a good idea to organize them. They just organize them, and if somebody has issues they provide them with a manifesto outlining their thinking. If Fishbum is serious about this, he should go and open registration for his event. If he wants my opinion if it's a good idea, he should tell me why he thinks it's a good idea, and then we can have a discussion. What he does now is basically throwing a bucketful of live mice into a roomful of felines and hoping for catfights.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:

Fair enough but why.

There are many categories of events I have no interest in participating in. Tough Mudder, full-distance Ironman, Aquabike, Otillo, and many more. Do you want to know why I don't want to do these types of events to?

Again, as long as you don't want to explain what's behind this, you're not entitled to serious responses.

And what do you even mean with "the optics of the participants"?

Maybe not worded well. People worried about how it would look participating in a all male event.
Again get out of train of thought that I'm trolling.
Quote Reply

Prev Next