Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Men in tights [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
I'm a novice at running. But my under-armour tights are only good to about 40 deg. Below 40 I either do the winter cycling bib tights only or do "synthetic gym sweat pants with brushed inside". I like the cycling bib tights for the suspenders and the fact some of my tighter shirts I wear running tend to "ride up". If they do, they never get far enough up to matter when wearing bib tights.

I do shorts over the UA tights, but not over the cycling bib.

I totally over dressed the other night. A front was supposed to come through right as I left the front door for an hour trot (I said I was a novice). Yup, front stalled and I soaked my hoodie through my base layer. I did however recognize it happening and decided to keep it on, but just not stop and end up getting chills. So, kept the route "fluid" so no stops longer than like 15 seconds.

I bet that smells wonderful in the clothes hamper about right now.

40*F is what, about 5*C?

That's shorts weather around here....

Same. I'll generally do tights below freezing. Thermal tights are REALLY effective.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Ok, those northerners. How do you run in tights? Shorts underneath, shorts on top? Of junktastic?

If you guys are looking for some cheap tights, check these out. I really really like them, and they're cheap enough to validate the risk of not liking them.
Tesla tights

Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can definitely NOT wear a speedo - those days are long gone, and I simply couldn't subject Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public to that horrific image. I'm in the midwest, so tights are an unfortunate necessity 'round here, and a decent pair of wind briefs underneath keeps the wind off the boys far better than a pair of shorts over top.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Ok, those northerners. How do you run in tights? Shorts underneath, shorts on top? Of junktastic?

If you guys are looking for some cheap tights, check these out. I really really like them, and they're cheap enough to validate the risk of not liking them.
Tesla tights

I have those long tights as well.

I'd say they're fine, but here, you do get what you pay for.

For $17 you get a NONinsulated but perfectly adequate pair of comfortable running tights that work better as a baselayer under something heavier if it's near zero outside. (Yep, learned that the hard way when the family jewels started freezing on a cold winter run that I didn't double layer with.)

In contrast, I paid $60 for a pair of lightly insulated Brooks running tights that has good reflectives on it. These tights work on their own down to zero, nothing additional needed.

So keep in mind what you're going to be running in - if it's subzero, you'll need insulated tights or an extra layer on top of the cheap Tesla tights.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
domingjm wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Tesla tights

I have those long tights as well.

I'd say they're fine, but here, you do get what you pay for.

For $17 you get a NONinsulated but perfectly adequate pair of comfortable running tights that work better as a baselayer under something heavier if it's near zero outside. (Yep, learned that the hard way when the family jewels started freezing on a cold winter run that I didn't double layer with.)

In contrast, I paid $60 for a pair of lightly insulated Brooks running tights that has good reflectives on it. These tights work on their own down to zero, nothing additional needed.

So keep in mind what you're going to be running in - if it's subzero, you'll need insulated tights or an extra layer on top of the cheap Tesla tights.

Yes, that's an important point that I failed to mention. I'm in the Midwest of the u.s. and it rarely gets below 20 F where I'm located.

Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummm there is a new invention called the Internet. Have a look you will find warm fleece lined tights from ALL of the brands you listed. And to the other guy, there will be tights with pockets. I love my Nike tights, smooshes, pockets, and all.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Junktastic from about 40F down to high 20’s. Below that I wear Saxx boxer briefs underneath. Never shorts on top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, there was a dad hanging out at the basketball courts during my kids' league's practice yesterday and today. He was wearing bright white tights under dark shorts. I didn't really look at him b/c his clothes looked too new and he looked too well-groomed. I'm not into fastidious guys. (His hair was neither feathered nor flowing.)

This evening my husband asked me if I had seen Eric Weddle at the practices. He's apparently some NFL guy who just returned to town after the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. I googled his pic. Yep, the guy in tights and shorts was Eric Weddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
So, there was a dad hanging out at the basketball courts during my kids' league's practice yesterday and today. He was wearing bright white tights under dark shorts. I didn't really look at him b/c his clothes looked too new and he looked too well-groomed. I'm not into fastidious guys. (His hair was neither feathered nor flowing.)

This evening my husband asked me if I had seen Eric Weddle at the practices. He's apparently some NFL guy who just returned to town after the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. I googled his pic. Yep, the guy in tights and shorts was Eric Weddle.

This just reminded me of a former Patriots player whose kids went to elementary school with mine. Shows up at a 4th grade soccer game in tight t-shirt, basketball shorts and Uggs.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I'm a novice at running. But my under-armour tights are only good to about 40 deg. Below 40 I either do the winter cycling bib tights only or do "synthetic gym sweat pants with brushed inside".

Are you from somewhere around the equator?

40 deg is shorts weather. Low 20's to high-teens is when I pull a pair of tights on.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Same guys that wear a towel to the shower and back are the ones wearing the shorts over the tights :)

That's me in both cases

There are some sights you just don't deliberately inflict upon the world
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:

I wonder if the players have some kind of secret insider information we don't know about
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
I'm a novice at running. But my under-armour tights are only good to about 40 deg. Below 40 I either do the winter cycling bib tights only or do "synthetic gym sweat pants with brushed inside".

Are you from somewhere around the equator?

40 deg is shorts weather. Low 20's to high-teens is when I pull a pair of tights on.

User name checks out.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done two hour runs in some non-baggy polyfleece sweatpants I got from Costco in ~22 degree F weather with no ill effect. Best not overthink this.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

I wonder if the players have some kind of secret insider information we don't know about

I know I got that all wrong. I don't think he plays for the Chargers either. I stopped listening about halfway thru my husband's explanation of who he is.

I can't decide if an NFL player wearing shorts and tights makes it okay or not. I guess it mostly just doesn't matter, so long as you just get out and run. So GO RUN already!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like my friend said "If you ever see me with shorts on over my tights, shoot me!
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your friend say why they felt this strongly?

Everyone here seems fairly sure their tights are intended to be worn this way. And they may all be right. The trouble is I see a lot of people in what are clearly base layers and they aren't covering them up. It needs to stop. The clue is often the visible stitching style and different fabric type around the crotch area. But also the sheer nature of the fabric.

Personal opinion is that I don't see how shorts over tights offends anyone. But base layers uncovered up is a horrible sight. So if someone is in doubt and chose to play it safe with shorts on top then surely the world would be a better place?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friends dont let friends wear shorts over tights. Under no circumstances can you be that guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Men in tights [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:

Everyone here seems fairly sure their tights are intended to be worn this way. And they may all be right. The trouble is I see a lot of people in what are clearly base layers and they aren't covering them up. It needs to stop. The clue is often the visible stitching style and different fabric type around the crotch area. But also the sheer nature of the fabric.

Personal opinion is that I don't see how shorts over tights offends anyone. But base layers uncovered up is a horrible sight. So if someone is in doubt and chose to play it safe with shorts on top then surely the world would be a better place?

Do you wear shorts over your pants too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just say NO to shorts over tights! You’re running, not playing basketball or football. Let go of the bro look.

Wear a pair of tri shorts underneath and call it a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
OddSlug wrote:

No. So it is a style thing? I'm just trying to understand. Are you OK with people wearing baser layer bottoms and nothing over them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
too?[/quote]Too? This is a ridiculous analogy. I do, however, regularly wear a t shirt over a long sleeve shirt when I run in cooler weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty normal look amongst high level athletes. If it's good enough for the Rock it's good enough for the rest of us. The only people that seem to say don't wear shorts are runners or amateur athletes who call themselves runners...or just people on ST :P

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:
OddSlug wrote:

No. So it is a style thing? I'm just trying to understand. Are you OK with people wearing baser layer bottoms and nothing over them?

People can do as they wish. I don't know if I've seen people wear just base layer bottoms or not.
If I need extra warmth, I'll wear my "extra shorts" under my tights and yes it gets cold here in Michigan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:

I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. I took this thread to be mostly in good fun. Wear what you want to wear.
Quote Reply

Prev Next