Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mechanical disk brake
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the differences between current QR bikes. I've noticed their disk brakes are cable operated. I can't really find any current discussion as to wether or not it's worth the extra cost. Older articles and forum posts seem to feel that rim brakes stopped better. Can anyone speak to this??
Last edited by: Matt315: Jul 1, 20 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical disk brake [Matt315] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt315 wrote:
I was looking at the differences between current QR bikes. I've noticed their disk brakes are cable operated. I can't really find any current discussion as to wether or not it's worth the extra cost. Older articles and forum posts seem to feel that rim brakes stopped better. Can anyone speak to this??

I am quite happy with my TRP Spyre mechanical disk brakes. Mechanical is way more convenient when you travel (and disassemble the bike) a lot. Braking is not as good as hydraulic disk brakes but more than sufficient for triathlon use.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of people denigrate mechanical disk brakes, but I've always felt they stopped better than rim brakes. I have used BB7s, Spyres and Shimano mechanicals as well as the hybrid HY/RDs. They all stopped well and modulation was ok. The HY/RDs are really nice, IMO. I've only use hydraulic brakes on mountain bikes. They stop well, but I never learned to bleed them, so I always have to take them to the shop for adjustments, which is a downside to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical disk brake [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. Mechanical simplicity is a huge advantage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very happy with my trp Spyres on my QR, and until tt hydro brakes streamline their form factor I don’t plan on revisiting the issue.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical disk brake [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've still got BB7s (mechanical disk) on my commute/ tourer that I built up back in 2009(ish). And they still work as well today as they did the day they were built. The pad adjustment dial is so handy for a regular use bike. Honestly for a commute bike then it's the best type of brakes I'm sure - easy maintenance, safe as houses braking in all conditions, don't need to stress about rims getting a bit out of shape, no issues wearing out rims (yes, I used to get through rims in about a year when I was commuting from Peak district into Manchester daily).

Performance wise, and this is not allowing for the fact that the cable BB7s are over a decade older in build and design to the Shimano ultegra hydro disks on my synapse. The power is down a bit but I'd say the modulation is better. And so by 'power is down' then I mean I need to pull harder to get the same brake - both are able to deliver braking that locks the rear / starts tipping me over the front if I were to want to do such things. And I've done some really really long descents on the BB7s whilst fully loaded with paniers front and back and they held up fine.

I honestly prefer the reservoir free, home mechanic friendly nature of the cabled brakes. But, I can also see the 'maintenance free' benefit for hydros if you are the sort that gets the bike serviced by a bike shop every year. Just for me I find the faffing of pushing the calipers back in to swap pads a lot harder on the hydro brakes than the twist and go nature of the cabled ones. Possibly practice / personal incompetence.

But I suspect hydro is the way of the future for mainstream.
Quote Reply