Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Meanwhile in Masters Doping
Quote | Reply
Masters track cyclist sanctioned for doing with roids with a clomiphene kicker.

But it gets better.

It's this guy. The guy who is (or was) co-director for the International Network for Doping Research in Denmark. Applied research, I guess.

And to the moderators, I did a good amount of due-diligence to verify that the two John Gleaves' are the same John Gleaves.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 20, 20 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Masters track cyclist sanctioned for doing with roids with a clomiphene kicker.
But it gets better.
It's this guy. The guy who is (or was) co-director for the International Network for Doping Research in Denmark. Applied research, I guess.
And to the moderators, I did a good amount of due-diligence to verify that the two John Gleaves' are the same John Gleaves.

The thing that I see more embarrassing is that he got caught...how could you be an expert in the field and then get caught, when you should know how these tests work and know how people get caught using the banned substances. That would be kind of a double whammy.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
The quote about making bad choices is classic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh the irony. Great find.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The quote about making bad choices is classic

"If you embrace these ideas too much, you can end up making some bad choices."

I try to avoid schadenfreude, I really do. But for guys like this I make an exception.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From his faculty page at Cal State Fullerton:

"John Gleaves is a co-founder and current co-director for CSUF’s Center for Sociocultural Sport and Olympic Research and Associate Editor for the Journal of Olympic Studies. He has authored and edited numerous books, the most recent being Doping in Cycling: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, with Bertrand Fincouer and Fabian Ohl, and Practical Philosophy and History of Sport and Physical Activity, with Scott Kretchmar, Mark Dyreson, and Matthew Llewellyn.

Gleaves’ primary research interest remains doping in sport, which he examines from a variety of sociocultural perspectives. Through his research expertise, Gleaves was appointed the co-director for the International Network for Doping Research in 2012. Beginning in 2015, Gleaves served as an Expert Witness and Summary Witness in the United States Federal Government’s fraud case against cyclist Lance Armstrong. He is currently a member of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Working Group on Doping Prevalence and USA Cycling’s Anti-Doping Advisory Board.

Gleaves earned his doctoral degree from Pennsylvania State University in the History and Philosophy of Sport from the Department of Kinesiology. He earned his Bachelor of Arts as an Honors Scholar at Carroll College in Helena, Montana with a double major in Philosophy and Theology and a minor in History."

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a silly way to ruin your professional career, for a "participation" medal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF triathlon actually wants to get serious about doping they need tested and nontested races like bodybuilding

And in the tested races the cost is more and every podium winner gets a piss test. Overalls get piss and blood testing

But we all know it will never happen and 20 years from now we’ll still be mad about cheating

So accept that you are racing against cheats and have to be just that much better to beat them. Which you never will if you share the same genetics and work ethic.
Last edited by: MrTri123: Mar 21, 20 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

It's one of the several mysteries with this guy. He got 3rd in the scratch race in his 5-year age category at Nationals. And the 35-39 category is one of the "less deep" fields (8 entrants).

I'm hoping he puts out some convoluted "I was doing research" excuse, akin to the recent documentary. Just for the comedy.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
IF triathlon actually wants to get serious about doping they need tested and nontested races like bodybuilding

And in the tested races the cost is more and every podium winner gets a piss test. Overalls get piss and blood testing

But we all know it will never happen and 20 years from now we’ll still be mad about cheating

So accept that you are racing against cheats and have to be just that much better to beat them. Which you never will if you share the same genetics and work ethic.

I mean, maybe for IM branded races, if you want to qualify for podium and/or worlds slots, you have to pay more so all podium finishers are tested. But there are around 100 podium places and 35 worlds slots per race. If we test all 100 podium spots, at $700 per test, we need to raise entry fees for those who want to qualify enough to cover $70,000.

Now, IM *should* already be allocating some amount of entry fees for testing. But let's assume they don't and we need to raise $70,000 from people who want to qualify for podium/awards. How many people in a race put themselves in that category? I would say 300 at the absolute most. So you would need to increase their entry fees by at least $233.

And in the small 20 person or less age groups, you probably have podium finishers that don't really consider themselves awards qualifiers. Are we going we going tell the 72 year old that finishes the race in 2nd out 3 that if they did not pay the extra $233 they don't get to stand on the podium?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Applied research, I guess.

Brilliant!
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

I mean, maybe for IM branded races, if you want to qualify for podium and/or worlds slots, you have to pay more so all podium finishers are tested. But there are around 100 podium places and 35 worlds slots per race. If we test all 100 podium spots, at $700 per test, we need to raise entry fees for those who want to qualify enough to cover $70,000.

Now, IM *should* already be allocating some amount of entry fees for testing. But let's assume they don't and we need to raise $70,000 from people who want to qualify for podium/awards. How many people in a race put themselves in that category? I would say 300 at the absolute most. So you would need to increase their entry fees by at least $233.

And in the small 20 person or less age groups, you probably have podium finishers that don't really consider themselves awards qualifiers. Are we going we going tell the 72 year old that finishes the race in 2nd out 3 that if they did not pay the extra $233 they don't get to stand on the podium?

100% correct

Hence tested and non tested races

Or we can all bitch and complain that nothing is being done about doping racers as we have been since I started racing 38 years ago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find this incredibly sad-Just seems like such a waste of time, energy, education, experience. Something terrible must have been going on inside this poor person. Reminds me of the 1st episode of BREAKING BAD. An intelligent person making some very stupid mistakes- caused me all kinds of anxiety-couldn't bare to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

as someone who has competed in bodybuilding for decades prior to triathlon, they dont test in bodybuilding lol. natural shows they do, they even administer polygraphs but your major IFBB pros nah
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I mean, maybe for IM branded races,

Hey my post was about masters cycling, take this to the tri for....oh dang.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:

It's one of the several mysteries with this guy. He got 3rd in the scratch race in his 5-year age category at Nationals. And the 35-39 category is one of the "less deep" fields (8 entrants).
I'm hoping he puts out some convoluted "I was doing research" excuse, akin to the recent documentary. Just for the comedy.

I suppose that it is possible that if he was someone that had enemies in his dept., that someone would have the means and opportunity to slip something into his coffee cup from the analytical standards used in the research lab (just apply and dry a thin film on the bottom of the cup). I think that would be the defense that I would go for. It just seems so stupid for him to not only do this; but to get caught.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
"Though most people agree that athletes should not use performance enhancing drugs, the moral argument for banning them is much less clear."

https://twitter.com/...s/710543034937528320
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
"Though most people agree that athletes should not use performance enhancing drugs, the moral argument for banning them is much less clear."

https://twitter.com/...s/710543034937528320

Ha, this guy is like Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now. I wonder if we can trace his gradual descent from anti-doping leader into multi-substance doper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the tiny amount of actual testing in masters races, the number of positives is astounding.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Given the tiny amount of actual testing in masters races, the number of positives is astounding.

True. But there's also strong evidence of targeting in a lot of cases, so it's probably far from random.

I raced (and podiumed (backdoor brag)) at the same event where Gleaves got tested, and wasn't tested. I had no idea USADA was even there. They weren't testing the winners all the days I was there.

Yet they tested 3rd place in the 35-39, which had 8 entrants.

They may have shown up just for him, then left. Because of a tip. Just conjecture. But it's fishy to test 3rd in 35-39.

Last edited by: trail: Mar 23, 20 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guy's got degrees in philosophy and theology - those two degrees give you a full set of powerful tools for rationalizing anything..

Quote:
I don't know anyone who gets through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex.
ah come on nothing's more important than sex
oh yeah have you ever gone a week without a rationalization ?
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in Masters Doping [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked with one of the former big wigs at USA Cycling and he confirmed that a huge proportion of the positives come from tips. Some MOP rider shows up and starts crushing heads raises some suspicions. My guess is people kind of do some sleuthing and kind of figure what is going on before they call the USADA tip line.
Quote Reply