Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
CEOIronman wrote:
Besides IMLP, last Sunday was IM Canada, a race with a $75k pro prize purse that paid 8 deep. We had 8 male pro finishers and 7 female pro finishers. Every pro finisher got a check. And for the women, there was no one to give the 8th place check to.

Here is my view. We don't need pros in every Mdot race, just like we don't need pros in every local 10K race. The local 10k or local marathon can run just fine without a pro field.

On Sunday something like 4500 athletes raced between IMLP and Whistler. I am hearing a lot of people complaining on this thread, but i would not take that as a reflection of what is really going on in the market. Sure, WTC can do many things to improve and I'm the first one to tell you where, why and provide you a "how" on the means to improvement.

Andrew, a better response to this entire realstarky pro uproar would be a roll up of the entire year's WTC prize purse for the year. My understanding is that overall prize purse is bigger than it has ever been and WTC keeps these prize purses in Tier 3 level pro events like LP or Whistler to give up and coming pros a chance to earn a living. I am not an idiot and also realize that having a pro field is part of your overall "user experience", so it is not purely charity.

You feel you need some type of a pro field at every event. To that one i say you don't. Like Marcag said, when we go to Kona or 70.3 World's I want to see a pro field, but I don't care at Syracuse, Galveston or Whistler (it was cool seeming Marino crush that bike course, but it really would not change my user experience if he or any of the pros were there or not).

It really does not matter how big WTC gets in terms of top line revenue, no one deserves any piece of it other than those in the company that puts it on and its shareholders (I come from the business world and get it). So all this complaining that WTC make a pile of revenue so pros deserve more makes no sense.

I feel you would be better served nuking the pro field from most of your "local events" that are the equivalent of every medium size city marathon in North America. They draw 10,000 racers with no professional runners ,because runners just want to do a marathon. Likewise triathletes, just want to do an Ironman.

Take your total prize money and put it in 5-7 MAJORS world wide (Kona, Frankfurt, Melbourne, Arizona, Nice, one of Tremblant/LP/Cour d'Alene, Taupo)...Also make each of these MAJORS 125 slot Kona qualifiers. Get rid of the Kona slots from minor races and just make them qualifiers for the MAJORs instead. Make the majors KQ points heavy for pros. Continue to offer some KQ points for any pros that want to race the minors for experience or podiums that they can leverage with sponsors (which is effectively the scenario today anyway) and also offer podium guys at the minors a guaranteed invite to the majors.

Basically now you have a minor league and a Major league. Real pay at the majors where the pro race is packaged up and marketed. More competition for amateurs at the majors where there is more depth of Kona slots compared to the minors. Perhaps use the age group points system (well a modified version of it...it is currently flawed in some ways) to award year end KQ slots from points accrued by non KQ performance at majors plus points accrued at minors. That way the minors offer path to Kona too, but your best shot is at a major.

In any case I personally feel that there is now plenty of pro prize money and opportunity to earn a living. You just happen to have it spread out between too many races. The competitive model in our sport (Ironman) is broken both from pro prize money allocation and amateur Kona slot allocation. You should just concentrate it and stop diluting it across so many events. That's the root of the problem. Keep many events as it gives us all many opportunities to race, but don't make them all the same in terms of prizes.

PS: To all the guys hating on Messick, this is also the same guy that offered the road to Kona to 12x finishers who are not 'fast enough'. We don't need to like everything he does, but that was one of the first things he did at the helm. As a marketing guy, i would have suggested to him to steer clear of a response on ST, but he's not exactly like your normal Fortune 500 CEO and is much more accessible. In reality, WTC is a fairly small company in terms of revenue, which just happens to have a crazy passionate customer base that feels they own the product of the company as much as the company itself. I can't think of that many companies where the customers are this strongly vested in every breath of a company's executives.

Yep, so simple, and with no emotion.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think he's a positive dude. With deep roots in the most basic "why" of endurance sports and equally deep roots within the corporate world. I think a TRS / Babbitt competitor radio podcast could be pretty amazing. Funny, insightful and potentially constructive. //

Ya Bob could be considered the Pope of triathlon. He has been around since forever, been knee deep in every decision every made about the sport, and he has empathy for all sides that seem to be at odds here. IF he had any kind of holding back, or leaning towards because he was working for the man these past years, i never saw it, and no that he no longer works for the man, he is free to let his freak flag fly!!!

I would love to hear an interview with TRS and Bob, and bet he would love to do it.

Bob is a great example of someone who has pursued his passion and worked hard to make a huge positive impact on the sport, all while figuring out how to make a decent chunk of change. Although I strongly suspect he'd still be doing it even if he were only making pennies.

It's funny that his name came up here, because there couldn't be a more polar opposite to the person who started this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half of these "pros" would be there anyway as age groupers. They just get to start 15 mins earlier.

Anyone that does not have the ability to be a top 50 or 60 in the world type of athlete that thinks they should be able to get by on their prize winnings needs a reality check. That is the state of the sport right now. At one point football, baseball, golf, etc were the same way. Maybe one day it will change, maybe it won't.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's Rachel Jastrebsky's take on #IMLP7th, from her blog.

http://teamjastrebsky.blogspot.com/

Now this #IMLP7th business. I've been asked a few times if I was shooting for 7th. All I ever want to do with my racing is go as hard as I possibly can. Whether that’s 1st or 10th as long as I know I gave it everything then I’m good. If I had been able to pass 6thI definitely would have. That being said, I was pretty excited to be 7th. I received a message from Dark Mark asking me to get to the brewery at 10pm for the “award ceremony.” I have to admit, I was a little nervous to meet Dark Mark and TRS as they are quite the twitter personalities. They were extremely nice and welcoming of me. I was given a Real Starky t-shirt and gluten tolerant wrist band and introduced to many of the people hanging around for the festivities. The award ceremony was really fun and it was really nice to meet and chat with the 7th place male pro Raymond. When I was able to get to my phone, I had close to 50 Facebook notifications and almost 100 twitter notifications. I was pretty shocked at the huge response, which was 98% positive. I more than doubled my Twitter followers in just 2 days and many of them took a minute to congratulate me! While I recognize that Amber and Kyle are definitely the heroes of the day, it was pretty cool to see the triathlon community, largely amateurs, rally around the pros. I consider this an incredible gift from the triathlon community and wanted everyone to know that I greatly appreciate it. I know I don’t need to tell anyone what I will do with the money, but if I had donated I would be curious. I am a graduate student finishing up my PhD and my husband works a hard manual labor construction job building elevators. We get by fairly well, but money does get tight and I try to have my racing be as little a burden as possible. Currently that means doing races that I can drive to and staying with homestays (which I actually really enjoy). I have no expectations of getting rich from triathlon, and I definitely don’t do it for the money. I know it will take time to work up the ranks and I look forward to that challenge. I don’t necessarily think race organizers owe me anything, but it would be great to have a system in place to develop younger/newer pros. If this kind of support meant pros doing more at races, I would be happy to help out with clinics, kids races, etc. So I’m rambling, I was going to say what will happen with the money. The majority of it is going to make some needed repairs on our home that we have been putting off. I know that many people have much more to worry about than a leaky roof, but we are trying to sell our house and move when I’m done with school so we need to make those repairs. I do want to donate a portion of the money. The triathlon community has given so much to me and I wanted to find a way to thank them. I've been talking to Final Kick Sports about possible ideas to give back a little. I will also donate a little to two charities that are very close to me. I should write an entire blog explaining them, but two of my best high school friends passed away years ago in two separate incidences. Ali’s fund (Ali Sacco) supports cardiac research at the Boston Children’s Hospital. Adam’s fund (AdamTowler Foundation) supports a scholarship fund to a school in Wyoming where he was from, as well as the American Heart Association. They have both been an inspiration to me, and I used to raise more money for their funds through my racing, so I wanted to get back to that a little.

This blog is probably a little too sappy for Dark Mark, TRS and Pay10Deep :P Seriously though guys, I appreciate you bringing pros and amateurs together (IMLP7th video). You made a race that I might have been slightly disappointed with (for not finishing on the podium) really fun and my husband and I will be able to pay some bills and give back a bit. I hope I can thank/repay the community by being a good ambassador for our sport and racing to the absolute best of my ability at the rest of my races this season. I still can't believe I'm doing another IM 4 weeks after Lake Placid, but I'm actually getting pretty excited for Louisville. As always, thank you to all of our friends, family and sponsors for your unending support.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
sportstats wrote:
Explain to me then why pros would chose Lake Placid over Tremblant knowing 12 months in advance what the price purse is. Options are there....

Because if you're a new guy/ gal in the sport, you have a better chance at winning some cash, any cash, if less of the big guns show up. Especially when the purse pays only 7 or 8 deep and the lower peeps on getting a check barely make enough to cover gas money, food, and lodging. If you're the 8th place guy/ gal at the IMMT, you get (what?) $2000. Let's say you have the capability to do this once a month, which equates to $24,000 a year before taxes, or near the poverty line if you have any children. And, that's for the people who actually get paid and are good enough to get 8th place in 12 races throughout the year. And don't destroy themselves in the process.

Here's what needs explaining to me:
Why would 15 of the top pros even show up to IMMT knowing that half of them won't make a dime from their efforts?

I can't imagine being a new pro and heading out to a race that I trained my ass off for many months and years with a high probability that I won't get any money or on the outside chance that I did win something it'll barely be enough to pay my mortgage. I think the better solution for the pros is cutting the purse from several of the events, pooling the resources, paying more, to a deeper field.

You, Marc and myself are on the same page with respect to cutting the prize money a variety of smaller events and pooling them and paying deeper. Mark's point is that the entire IMLP thing was ridiculous given that the pros had the option to race at Tremblant or Whistler. What would make the most sense is nuking the prize money at two of those events and put the $250,000 into a single event. There were also around 8 North America 70.3's since the start of June with meaningless prize money in each. So now you take $450K and put it in the North American IM Championships.

I THINK putting the North American Championship in Aug from a pro perspective is somewhat late and this is why, Marc, you have less pros interested in racing at Tremblant on Aug 17th....so you and I know why many pros are not showing up at Tremblant. it's because they want to get KQ points BEFORE JULY 31st. So what they really want is the Tremblant prize money at Placid in July

The pros keep showing that they would rather go and race kona for nothing (just like us age groupers) than actually race for prize money. So to some degree, they deserve nothing. Why don't they do more Challenge and Rev3. Most of them would make more money at those events, yet they go to the Mdot trough for less money.

Being realistic, guys in the category of Brandon Marsh stand to make a lot more at Tremblant than Kona. I am paraphrasing but he said something along the lines of "Tremblant is my Kona". Brandon is just a few pedal strokes off the pace of the uberbikers in our sport. At Kona it is a tough ride doing it solo and then finishing in the money. Rapp said something similar himself many moons ago...something along the lines of, "I'd rather win Penticton and Tempe than finish 20th at Kona....not doing Kona till I have a chance at firmly being in the money".
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:
Explain to me then why pros would chose Lake Placid over Tremblant knowing 12 months in advance what the price purse is. Options are there....

KP first cutoff.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
sportstats wrote:
Dev, I agree with most of your points, not every race can have a large prize purse. Interesting how no one is mentioning the 125k prize purse in Tremblant in 3 weeks...http://www.usatriathlon.org/~/media/e412b23818084064997c454a7f1e5cc0.ashx

For a World Championship, it's not really very much money.

It's equal to 7% of the Darts World Championship, which offers ~$1.7 million as its prize purse.

It's also less than Horseshoe pitching and a bunch of other random sports with a much smaller participation market.

Of course, this is what happens when a private company is charged with 'developing' the sport.

It does not matter that the percentage is. It does not matter what you are comparing against. What should be asked is what are these others sports doing that is allowing them
to be successful like this?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [waskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waskier wrote:
btmoney wrote:
He didn't steal the mic from Mike Reilly...they were at a bar in LP

Pretty sure this isn't a bar in LP....

https://twitter.com/...s/495008056447492096

That check shows this guy got paid, by fans, when WTC wouldnt do it's job. It didnt require and verbal or direct interruptions and im sure had there been a sprint to the line for 7th TRS would not have handed him the check til after.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
These threads are always very interesting to observe. The peanut gallery can really criticize a company that has had phenomenal success under the current leadership. Criticize (not you specifically, but but the ST community at large) all you want, but they deliver a great product that satisfies a growing customer base better than anyone else in the industry, which is why they continue to be so successful from a business point of view.
-

I think that you are missing what this thread is all about.

Messick came on ST to make a smart ass comment. He basically invited people to rip him to shreads and he deserves every comment that he gets.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
waskier wrote:
btmoney wrote:

That check shows this guy got paid, by fans, when WTC wouldnt do it's job. It didnt require and verbal or direct interruptions and im sure had there been a sprint to the line for 7th TRS would not have handed him the check til after.

For the record, Ray Bothelo's very nice, very excited girlfriend was right there when we handed him the check, which he gladly accepted and carried over the line. In fact, she may have been the one to physically hand it to him. She definitely was the one who got his attention.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think that you are missing what this thread is all about"
----------------
No - I caught it exactly . . . and so does he. He is a very smart guy.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Finally! Someone has used this correctly. I love when someone says "Lions don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"....well, no shit...Except for the random sheep herder in Kenya with a small pen, Lions don't hunt sheep b/c they live in completely different parts of the world.

Thank you TRS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
pick6 wrote:
waskier wrote:
btmoney wrote:

For the record, Ray Bothelo's very nice, very excited girlfriend was right there when we handed him the check, which he gladly accepted and carried over the line. In fact, she may have been the one to physically hand it to him. She definitely was the one who got his attention.

Im glad to hear it. I think it's important that the pros see this support. I'm hopeful WTC will be reactive to this (because shit, we've never seen them be proactive), change kona points, add more support to womens field (more slots, even if the field is initially diluted, will eventually provide for a better quality field), and increase prize money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The awards ceremony looked like it was really fun, lots of beer lubing up the crowd. Rachel was great, look really pleased to be there, and not hard on the eyes at all. Perhaps this will be a stepping stone for her to lock in some sponsors that appreciate a bubbly, nice looking up and coming pro. Ray looked like he had been drinking just a little bit longer than the rest, but was a good sport non the less. Glad to hear he is a good guy, both great examples of the area which this stunt was the focus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were fantastic. The money couldn't have gone to nicer people. Rachel Jastrebski and Ray Bothelo are legends.

Furthermore, we had an amazing time with many of the other pros at the brew pub, such as AJ Baucco, Leslie LaMacchia, Doug McLean, Balazs Csoke. Hell, Pedro Gomes even stopped by later in the eve. There may have been more. I was 3/4 in the bag as evidenced by my speech.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said! I would tend to agree, but us mere mortal AG's would be hard pressed to race a minor league race to qualify for the majors in hopes of qualifying for the championship race. Depending on the timing of races, you're talking about doing 3 Ironman's in a year (to qualify and get to Kona). That would be tough and would require a fair bit of extra $ and travel.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [CEOIronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone know what the last place pro at a PGA event or pro bowling event makes? Just wondering.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
anyone know what the last place pro at a PGA event or pro bowling event makes? Just wondering.

In the PGA, if you don't make the cut, you get nothing. Generally, the cut is top 40 and ties or within 10 shots.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
cjbruin wrote:

Wah! Pros have to accumulate points to get to Kona. That’s so hard. This is basically the same as other individual sports. Tennis players don’t get into Wimbledon by winning one tournament, they need to accumulate points throughout the season to be ranked high enough. The same thing goes for golfers. With the exception of The Masters (which is an invitational tournament that is not part of the PGA Tour), players need to be ranked to get into the season-ending FedEx Championship, The US Open, etc. Some of these events have special qualifiers that are held the week before the event where they add a few players to round out the field. Would you support having an Ironman the week before Kona that granted eight slots to the qualifiers? If these athletes are going to actually be Pros, they should have to compete in more than one race and they should compete against their peers to get to the World Championships.

triathlon is a highly physically taxing sport. golf, tennis, bowling,baseball are not.

And? Let's assume that I accept your premise (I don't, really). So what?
Last edited by: cjbruin: Aug 1, 14 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
Well said! I would tend to agree, but us mere mortal AG's would be hard pressed to race a minor league race to qualify for the majors in hopes of qualifying for the championship race. Depending on the timing of races, you're talking about doing 3 Ironman's in a year (to qualify and get to Kona). That would be tough and would require a fair bit of extra $ and travel.

I was thinking that for amateur "this year's minor automatically qualifies you for next year's major" (so next year, you do a major and kona if you qualify). you get until Dec 31st to fill in the entry for next year's major. Majors would still have general entry but would have x number of slots put aside for the qualifiers from this year's minors and if they don't get taken, then they go to another round of general entry that goes online on Jan 1. Also it would be good if you could get into some of this year's majors with MQ (Major Qual) performance at a 70.3 this year. In the end, you want the fastest pros and amateurs at this year's majors, so if some can't commit up front through general entry or by qualification at a minor IM last year, they still have a podium path through 70.3 this year.

Just like we don't need prize money at every local event, we don't need Kona slots....but the minor events should be structured to provider a feeder path to the road to prize money and road to Kona.

Right now the WTC "major" events are bogus in that they are not championships of any sort. Anyone can enter them and they don't have much meaning from a competitive perspective over a local event (thus pros don't care about IMMT any more than IMLP as is the case for age groupers....75 slots vs 60).
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't keep your hopes too high on a reply in his thread. " ignoring the fact that you started the conversation in the first place? " has been his modus operandi before in this forum. In other words, this was not a thread starter but more like press release.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You, Marc and myself are on the same page with respect to cutting the prize money a variety of smaller events and pooling them and paying deeper.

we pushed for that 5 years ago and were ignored. Next year you might see that system in place and Andrew straining his shoulder to pat himself on the back over its genius implementation.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [hamsrfd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hamsrfd wrote:
The pros should unionize. They currently have no leverage. If they get organized they could bargain. Imagine an October where every pro got sick on race morning. It would take huge balls but it would certainly require a response.

Not exactly huge balls but very small brains. Unionize. Yeah that's the ticket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you for the kind words Monty!
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. And back to the alleged chalk email incident, in any other company this guy would be gone. CEOIronman, have you made a public statement about this? Is the email chain real?
Quote Reply

Prev Next