Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, in my defense I did say it was small stuff and encouraged an economic model that incentivizes the best to compete.

I look forward to your suggestions regarding the big issues facing the sport.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [Olivier Mouyau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Olivier Mouyau wrote:
Meanwhile in France, Embrunman : 118000eur ... yep, so about $177000.
There is more, but here is the grid
Difference between m and w likely because the field is a lot difference in %.

Men
1st 25000 eur
2nd 15000 eur
3rd 11000 eur
4th 9000 eur
5th 8000 eur
6th 5000 eur

Women
1st 18000 eur
2nd 11000 eur
3rd 7000 eur
4th 5000 eur
5th 3000 eur
6th 1000 eur

Embrunman? Is that one of those easy Euro courses? ;-) HA!
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [CEOIronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Slowtwitch Vineyards where you will find one of the widest selection of whines on earth.

Wah! It’s harder to get to Kona as a pro so many people race as amateurs instead. It sounds to me that they don’t really want to be a pro triathletes, they just want to race in Kona.

Wah! Most pros have real jobs. Then they aren’t pro-triathletes. They are professional accountants, or waiters, or whatever and triathlon is their hobby.

Wah! Pros have to accumulate points to get to Kona. That’s so hard. This is basically the same as other individual sports. Tennis players don’t get into Wimbledon by winning one tournament, they need to accumulate points throughout the season to be ranked high enough. The same thing goes for golfers. With the exception of The Masters (which is an invitational tournament that is not part of the PGA Tour), players need to be ranked to get into the season-ending FedEx Championship, The US Open, etc. Some of these events have special qualifiers that are held the week before the event where they add a few players to round out the field. Would you support having an Ironman the week before Kona that granted eight slots to the qualifiers? If these athletes are going to actually be Pros, they should have to compete in more than one race and they should compete against their peers to get to the World Championships.

Wah! WTC makes so much money and the prize money isn’t enough. Ironman/WTC is a private business and very few of us know how profitable they are, if at all. They have investors that shelled out their money several years ago and generally investments such as these pay off after this duration. Also, there’s a lot of wrath for WTC but very little for the sponsors. The sponsors are the ones with the most direct benefit from an athlete’s performance but in many cases they aren’t giving that much to the athlete. Back in the mid-80’s, I considered playing golf professionally. In those days, the prize money was nowhere near what it is today. Most spots didn’t pay enough to cover your trip. Even today, if you miss “the cut” (generally the bottom 55-60%), you go home with nothing after playing in a Monday qualifier, a Wednesday Pro-Am and rounds on Thursday & Friday. Expenses add up quick. Anyway, almost everyone made more money through endorsements than they did through prize money. Maybe sponsors should be doing more.

The list of whines goes on, “I don’t like mass swim starts”, “There aren’t enough referees on the bike course”, “race fees are too expensive”, “races sell out too fast”, “I can’t sign up a year in advance”, “More than one Ironman a year (including Kona) is too much for me”, the list goes on.

Over the years WTC has successfully grown Ironman. They have taken risks that have paid off but could have just as easily bitten them in the ass. They have a strong global brand that thousands of people respect while the crabby minority keeps poking them with a stick. It’s definitely correct to offer constructive criticism and solutions but just whining and complaining doesn’t do anyone any good.
Last edited by: cjbruin: Jul 31, 14 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I am generally a big fan of races produced by WTC. I think overall it is a great product, I will continue to participate in Ironman branded races and I think WTC takes a lot of crap on this forum that is undeserved. But WTC and Ironman are of course not without flaws. This post I think was in very poor taste. In one fell swoop you:

1. Denigrated the pros at IMC as perhaps not deserving of the money they won since every place got paid.
2. Implied that this justifies the pro purse prizes at races like IMLP and belittles the arguments made by many of your paying customers to the contrary
3. Assumes that the small field of pros has nothing to do with the way WTC organizes races but rather with the pros themselves

And then you go on to make a joke about one of your senior executives stealing and destroying private property, generally acting like a child in public and insulting the 300 of your customers who supported the effort with their own money.

This kind of attitude about your customers and blindness to your own operational shortcomings is likely to lead to a degradation in the quality of the product you provide. The most important characteristic of a line manager in an organization is to be able to look dispassionately at your performance and the performance of your product, understand and accept its failures or shortcomings and act responsibly to improve as best as possible. In this instance, you are not doing that. As a fan of Ironman races, this makes me worry a little for the future.

Also, I believe the practice of PE firms loading up their portfolio companies with debt to pay themselves dividends in excess of their entire investment that guarantee profits to their limited partners while putting the portfolio company itself (and its employees) at risk or at least hampering it's ability to compete is bad business. I know you don't get to make that decision, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Well said. I'm assuming he's not responding because his PR person is beating him with his keyboard.

I just have a hard time believing this is the real CEO. Given how brand conscious IM is, I just can't believe the CEO would make this kind of marketing/PR blunder.

Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Will be interesting to see what they roll out next. What I'm hearing is less races with a pro purse and points. So a lot of amateur only IM's. My guess is that this may make 2nd tier pros start looking for other options. They are out there, but a lot of pros seem to be ignoring them with the idea that they have some shot at Kona. The truth is maybe 20 of the 50 have a shot at top 10 and maybe 4-5 have a shot to win. Otherwise it is just a very expensive training vacation for the rest of them.

Off topic, but at Kona 2014 you'll have possibly 4-5 ex champs in the field (FVL, Jacobs, Faris & possibly Crowie and Macca as a long, long shot). Then add in guys with top 10 results in the past who have never won the race (Kienle, McKenzie, Potts, TO) then add in others who will be 1st timers (Del Corral, Frodeno) and I haven't even mentioned Rapp, Starky, Marino, Butterfield, Cunama, etc.

So, I'd say there are at least 10-12 guys who have a shot to win.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It certainly appears to be Andrew, but lets us also see that comment a bit "in pink."

TheRealStarky wrote:
Herbert, you are a moderator. Can you confirm that the OP is in fact Andrew Messick, the CEO of Ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ellsworth53T wrote:
This is like having a conversation with Jamie Dimon of Chase and then using the opportunity to ask him to make sure that the pens in the teller line at your local branch are all fully equipped with ink.

Ha ha!!!

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
I just have a hard time believing this is the real CEO. Given how brand conscious IM is, I just can't believe the CEO would make this kind of marketing/PR blunder.

Seriously? Seems to fit his reputation perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:
Wah! Pros have to accumulate points to get to Kona. That’s so hard. This is basically the same as other individual sports. Tennis players don’t get into Wimbledon by winning one tournament, they need to accumulate points throughout the season to be ranked high enough. The same thing goes for golfers. With the exception of The Masters (which is an invitational tournament that is not part of the PGA Tour), players need to be ranked to get into the season-ending FedEx Championship, The US Open, etc. Some of these events have special qualifiers that are held the week before the event where they add a few players to round out the field. Would you support having an Ironman the week before Kona that granted eight slots to the qualifiers? If these athletes are going to actually be Pros, they should have to compete in more than one race and they should compete against their peers to get to the World Championships.

Mmm...not quite on the golf. The top 125 on the list in Fedex points are eligible for the first tournament of the playoffs (Barclays). This also determines the tour card holders for the next year (Used to be the top 125 on the money list). However, there are exceptions. Win a tournament, and you get automatic invites to all the majors, and are exempt from losing your tour card for 2 years. Win a major and it's 5 years (Used to be 10). The special qualifiers are usually Mondays, and one day events. The exact format of how many qualify for the upcoming tournament, etc., varies among tournaments. Other tour cards are determined by end of season rankings on the web.com tour, previous exemptions, etc. (This explains why John Daly was able to get into some tournaments even after his game tanked, because at the time he was one of the last 10 year exemptions for winning the 1995 US open).

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post is unbelievable to me. You just don't get it. I was one of the donors to 7th place, albeit a very small donation. I was planning on racing New Orleans 70.3 and Augusta 70.3 in 2015. However, these last couple of posts are the last straws for me, as long as you or PE are involved in the WTC, you will not receive any entry money from me. You may be quite the businessman but you and your company are bad for the sport and its development.

You may have thousands others, but I am one customer you will not get back.

CEOIronman wrote:
Besides IMLP, last Sunday was IM Canada, a race with a $75k pro prize purse that paid 8 deep. We had 8 male pro finishers and 7 female pro finishers. Every pro finisher got a check. And for the women, there was no one to give the 8th place check to.

Sponsored by: http://www.92fifty.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [coach_finstock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coach_finstock wrote:
Andrew,

You guys are doing a great job running WTC with all the races you've built over the past few years. Boggles my mind why pros think they are entitled to more prize money from WTC. If they want bigger payouts, go do other race series or get a job in the real world.

Nearly all age groupers don't care what pros show up - think it's been said many times here that most can't even name 10 pros.

Thanks for the great experiences. Now please go back to running your company.

Agree
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [sorr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorr wrote:
coach_finstock wrote:
Andrew,

You guys are doing a great job running WTC with all the races you've built over the past few years. Boggles my mind why pros think they are entitled to more prize money from WTC. If they want bigger payouts, go do other race series or get a job in the real world.

Nearly all age groupers don't care what pros show up - think it's been said many times here that most can't even name 10 pros.

Thanks for the great experiences. Now please go back to running your company.

Agree

I don't care what pros, if any, show up at the race I race, but I do care that there is a healthy pro field within the sport.
If I go to Syracuse, I don't care who is there. If I go to 70.3 WC or Kona, I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [sorr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pros should unionize. They currently have no leverage. If they get organized they could bargain. Imagine an October where every pro got sick on race morning. It would take huge balls but it would certainly require a response.

Member - Teamfirefighter.com
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
It certainly appears to be Andrew, but lets us also see that comment a bit "in pink."

TheRealStarky wrote:
Herbert, you are a moderator. Can you confirm that the OP is in fact Andrew Messick, the CEO of Ironman?

I have no idea what you are talking about. It's a yes or no question. Will you confirm that the OP is Andrew Messick?

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on his participation in this past thread

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#4857427

Seems legit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its his account, guess you could have to be at his desk and see him typing to know for sure. How cool would it be if you or one of your minions hacked his account here and started this horrible thread!! Sad part is that 99% it is him, and like some unnamed pro who thought he could come here and make everyone like him, this thread is not going to go at all like he had hoped.

That or he has a great sense of humor(thus herberts pink comment) and he is joining in on the pro money roast. I think not….
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:

triathlon is a highly physically taxing sport. golf, tennis, bowling,baseball are not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is Andrew Messick, CEO of Ironman.

But I saw a bit of humor in it.

TheRealStarky wrote:
Herbert wrote:

TheRealStarky wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about. It's a yes or no question. Will you confirm that the OP is Andrew Messick?
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
cjbruin wrote:

triathlon is a highly physically taxing sport. golf, tennis, bowling,baseball are not.

Have you ever played tennis?
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
cjbruin wrote:

I guess you have never pitched or caught before? well maybe you have......
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Yes, it is Andrew Messick, CEO of Ironman.

But I saw a bit of humor in it.

TheRealStarky wrote:
Herbert wrote:

TheRealStarky wrote:

TRS is clearly a newbie.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
CEOIronman wrote:
You want it back? I thought that the idea was to give it away.

You're too clever by a half.

Let me break character and explain a few things that you don't seem to be grasping. 300 of your customers contributed their hard earned money in a tremendous show of support for the struggling professional triathlete. Thousands more from all over the world used social media to voice their support. We admire, respect and appreciate the talent, hard work and dedication of these athletes and the value they add, in terms of excitement and atmosphere, to the events we choose.

Someone with the same respect for these athletes may have approached our little stunt like this: "We respect our athletes and value the input from our loyal customers. Ironman understands that there is room for improvement in developing our talented pros and we are working internally and with select members of the pro ranks toward a better way. Thank you to the donors for supporting these 7th place finishers. As an organization we recognize your support for the socioeconomic well-being of the athletes and we will consider your voice moving forward."

You owe Ray Bothelo and the 300 donors who care about people like Ray an apology.

Can't say I exactly agree with your approach. Just saw the pictures from Twitter. I seem to remember some music awards show where Taylor Swift was onstage accepting an award and Kanye West stepped on stage, took the mic and started some rant about how the award should have gone to someone else who deserved more recognition. Seems to me that is what you were doing.

I have no problem if you want to give more things to someone because you think they deserve it. Want 7th to get more? Pony up for a burrito and bottle of water at Chipotle and give them all the cash that's left. Good on ya. But jumping into someone else's stage that they've paid a lot of money and invested a lot of time to put together and taking the spotlight away? Just doesn't seem quite right.
Last edited by: waskier: Jul 31, 14 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cross posting in case peeps here haven't seen this on twitter already earlier tonight: http://www.somerandomthursday.com/...ds-and-speaking-out/
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada..... [waskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He didn't steal the mic from Mike Reilly...they were at a bar in LP
Quote Reply

Prev Next