Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
May fish thread
Quote | Reply
Go swim!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday total rest day, didn’t even go for a walk
Today 1000m free, 6.98 mi run, 30 min stairmaster

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: May 2, 22 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll post this here in the newer thread but covers the last 3 days.

Total ~7k yards over 3 days.

Friday: Aquathlon
1k swim split: 13:11
5k run split: 18:30

Swim was in 70F water, wore sleeveless wetsuit, and was happy with that choice. got out front early, was swimming parallel to the eventual overall winner for the first half until the turn. At that point I let him take the inside line to catch a draft. The final home stretch was into the wind, and with about 300m to go had a youngster come up around me. I let him pass to get some additional draft, but then he started swerving in front of me. Backed off a bit into the last 100m, but still ended up with 'old guy wobblies' getting out of the water. Had another gear I could have used to take the swim split, but decided it wasn't worth the effort.
Had to put my shoe on twice in T1 bc I stepped on the tongue the first time.
Couldn't really get anything going on the run, was about 1:30 slower than I thought I could do. HR super high and heavy arms to start. Definitely could tell this was my first aquathlon in 3 years.

Saturday/Sunday: Master's Nationals
https://www.swimphone.com/meets/individual_results.cfm?smid=14344&id=432U-N3TZP&fn=Adrian&ln=Cameron

100IM: 57.39 (8th) -- Felt sloppy, probably won't swim that again.
50 free: 22.59 (5th) -- More speed than I thought I had. My turn was long and underwaters are not great.
(2nd) -- Really wanted to get under that 5:00. Maybe out too fast trying to race the guy next to me (who went 4:49).
(4th) -- Probably should swim the 100 instead. Getting beat mostly on the underwaters.
(3rd) -- got smoked underwater by the winner, but was catching up on the 2nd 50. Pretty happy with that time.

So I had more speed than I expected but not quite the endurance to hold the pace on the 500. So more yards.

-----
Last edited by: Optimal_Adrian: May 2, 22 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to attempt the Strava "8 hours in the water" challenge this month.

Seems simple - but it all has to be done on my lunch hour, so we'll see how it goes.

And I haven't been in the pool for a few weeks, some weird virus that kept bouncing between my lungs/sinuses made swimming very unappealing.
Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting - that footage from the races is incredible.

The dive and the underwaters is huge for the 50...

Looks like your 500 would have placed in a few of the age groups surrounding yours - nice work

Is that pool commonly used for masters nats?
Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

This pool I believe is newly updated, so there has not been a nationals meet there before, but there was a Tyr Pro Series at the same venue a couple weeks ago. The venue was fantastic, with plenty of space for people and lanes to swim in, as well as parking. I would not be surprised if it comes back. It is also close to plenty of food and other San Antonio attractions (Sea World, Six Flags, etc).

The videos are really cool. After my first day they were automatically added to my results page, including time stamps keyed up to start just before my heat.

Two things I forgot in my original post:
  • The guy who smokes me in the 50 fly and 100 free is an Adult Onset Swimmer. I asked him where he swam in college and he did not start swimming until age 35 (he was a baseball player in college). It is pretty humbling to see him rocket out in front on me on the underwater.
  • The videos, results, and announcing were really great and very smooth. So much so that it makes USAT and their Multisport Nats look like amateur hour.

• USAT: pay us more money to have photos of the event, and you can maybe go scroll through 600+ pages to find ones we missed
  • USMS: here is a free video of every swim you did this weekend on youtube
  • USAT: park a mile from the race. wait for two hours to claim your Team USA spot. Wait another 3 hours (more like 8 if you race in the morning) if you want awards.
  • USMS: park right here (but don't get there too early or you might have to pay $5). Results are up online 2 minutes after the event ends, and are posted about 10 minutes on a wall. If you want an award, just peel your sticker from the results wall and hand to the ladies in the awards tent.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1600m free as 3 x 500 802, 741, 725 easy desc and 100 kick then 7.28 mi run steady 65 min

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: May 3, 22 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was good to finally meet you Adrian and put a face to the name. For some reason, I had pictured you a lot bigger, the way you talk about your massive calves and all(HA!). You had some really great swims, especially considering the 5k race you had baked into your legs. Perhaps your relative youth smoothed that out for you, since I was 50 and doing Tri's and masters the same week, it always affected my pool swims. So good on you for challenging yourself and doing double duty in one weekend. And that guys underwaters, all I can say is wow. And an AOC swimmer, that just blows my mind too.

I will chronicle my week lead up here to the meet, so I can look back later and see what I did taper wise and how it worked out. Last year was dictated to me, I got sick 6 days out from the meet, took off 4 days completely and just rested and slept, did a little warm up the day before in the race pool, and hit a really good taper. Never would have just sat out of the water that long thinking that is optimal, but the results speak for themselves, and perhaps old guys like me have to do something different from when we were younger.

So with that in mind, 6 days out I took off two days completely, did one day of warmup and some hard 50's and paced 100's. Then took 2 more days off completely and travelled to the race on Wednesday, where I unfortunately realized I had just caught my kids cold from the week before, ugghh..Got in the race pool the day before to do my loosen up and a couple hard 50's, and breathing was super labored. Muscles felt tine, but I could not keep myself from gasping for air. Almost went to the airport to get a flight home in disgust, but stayed and just crossed fingers that one more night's sleep would get me somewhat better.

Next day race morning had my hardest and longest event, the 400IM. Not what I would have wanted, but that is what I got.Warmed up and once again, muscles felt great, but wind was hampered. Went out conservative in 1;17 for the fly, but first backstroke turn told me what I needed to know, slow down if you want to finish this thing. So a 1;30 back, into a 1;31 breast, and finished off with a tortured 1;13 free for a 5;32(went 5;21 last year). I always come home really strong in the back half of this race, but this was just survival, and I let a guy pass me in the last 15 yards, ended up 7th.

Later in the day was the 100 fly, I was out in 33 and back in 36 for a 1;09+, ended up 11th, same time as last year. For both these races I felt like I would have been 3 seconds a 100 faster due to my better training times this year, but it was all I had..

Skipped the big team dinner and went to bed early, got 11 hours of sleep. Woke up the next day feeling just a bit better, and warm up was not as labored. First event was 100 IM. I was trained to do about a 1;06 flat, but just managed my in season time of 1;07+, 7th again. I was out slow, but back halfed it faster than I had before. Then came the dreaded 200 fly. I went out conservative and let the whole group go, out in 1;16, back in 1;26 for a 2;42+. I thought I had a mid 2;30 in me this year, but not this day. It was a second faster than last years swim and another 7th. But I was feeling better and swimming a bit faster, so hung around for the last day and my best events.

Warm up felt normal, finally. So got myself psyched up to swim fast, and not just survive. 200IM was first up, my best event and I had 3 times the competition as I did last year. Went out in 33.15, over a second slower than last year, then the back in 40;5, just under a second slower. So I was in a hole at the half way point, but my breathing was really good and not labored, so I just decided to start my sprint home starting with the breast. Split a 41.4, 7 tenths faster than last year and I was catching up to some of the field, then I had the highlight of this meet for me, I came home in a 31.4, fastest split of the entire age group, and I even out split the ex olympian Rick Collela who did a 2;10 to set a new 70+ record! You swimmers know how that last 50 goes, you also get about a second handicap because of the breast to free turn(the clock starts on your hands and not feet), so I really swam a 30+. I pulled up to 4th place who was body lengths ahead of me, but fell a tenth short and got 5th in 2;26+, a few tenths faster than last years time and a 5th.

Next up was the 200 breast and there were two full heats of fast guys, and I was seated about 12th or so. I put in my last years time and just made the outside lane of the final heat, lane 10 and right next to the guy that touched me out in the 200IM. I was actually excited about that, I really wanted to race him again. I went out hard again, but times were a lot slower than last years race again. Got to the 100 in 1;21 and that guy was up a body length on me. I hung on for the 3rd 50 at his feet, but once again on the last 50 I felt great and put in a full 50 final sprint. I was out in 39 high, then a 43+ to a 42+ and I came home in almost 40 flat. Caught the guy next to me, and ended up catching another guy on the other side I could not even see. Got 8th in the final heat, but 9th overall as one guy in the previous heat had a faster time. I did 2;45.25, the exact time to the 100th I did last year, but swam it way different than that race.

I flew home yesterday and went straight to the pool, where I did a swim that told me that I was still on my taper and getting better. Really wish I was doing that dam 400IM yesterday, think I had that 5 teen something in me, which would have battled for the win in the meet. Such is racing, but glad I hung around and tested my recovery while racing each day.

It was a great meet and venue, but I will have to pick one bone with your assessment Adrian, the announcing was horrible, actually almost non existent. It was basically here is the so and so age group, and then silence unless someone broke a record. They really need a couple color folks that can talk during the races, some history, some backstory, whatever. But loved the nice cool race pool, although they had the warm up pool set at about 83 or so.

Next year is rumored to be in Irvine, just down the road from me, so that could be fun. Perhaps I will open up my B&B here if enough fishes want to come out early and get acclimated. If you got this far, you really are a fish, thanks for reading..
Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
the announcing was horrible, actually almost non existent. It was basically here is the so and so age group, and then silence unless someone broke a record. They really need a couple color folks that can talk during the races...

there has always been a small undercurrent of disdain from some former elite swimmers towards masters swimming. The idea being, "I beat you when it mattered." Both Phelps AND Spitz have said things to that effect.

And so I do not like the environment, or the lack of environment, at masters meets. A friend of mine set the world record in the 100M breast at a local meet a few years back. He slapped the water in celebration and the ref threatened to DQ him.
Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So yesterdays post 7 hour travel swim was this:

25x100 as-10sw@1;40(1;25 to 1;11)5IM kick@2;00(1;52 to 1;44)6@2;00, odds breast/evens back(brst-1;31/1;27;1;25/back(1;27/1;22/1;20)4IM kick@2;00(1;55 to 1;48)
4x50 fly@1;10/1;20/1;30 fast descend(34+/34/33+/33)
2700SCY

Todays was a bit more tame, water back to 84 and at the high pool:
9x300as-(3s@5;00-4;25/4;14/4;04)2IM kick@6;00(5;45/5;38)3p sm paddle@4;30(3;55/3;50/3;44)1 im kick(5;44)
7x50@1;00-2 buoy/1 fly- buoys(38/37's) fly(36/36+)
3050SCY in 53 minutes

Time to start thinking about OW season now, so longer swims and longer workouts will be coming up..
Last edited by: monty: May 3, 22 16:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome re-cap and hope you can read this again when you are planning your next taper.

Your back end 50s are going unreal! Not bad to outsplit an ex olympian whose overall time was a bit faster than yours, must show your 200im back end free is a massive weapon ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job, sorry you didn’t quite mail the taper. Today 1h20 on an indoor stationary bike, then I put my wetsuit on and played in the Atlantic for a few minutes (I flew back to Maine last night). Not swim play, I just like to go in as soon as I can when I get back here :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice set of races, Monty, in spite of taper, illness, etc. Far better than I’d have done there. So, I’ve signed up for the Nadadores LCM meet coming up. I’m just doing the morning 400 & 1500, then go on a bike ride. Been doing more pool swims to prepare. I’d like to go sub-21. Sometimes I feel it, sometimes not.
This morning’s w/o:
W/U: 250s/250k/250p/250s
Main:
5x200s@3:00 ~2:35, :36, :35, :35, :34
500kwf
10x50@:50 ~:35 – :33
500 ez alt k/s on 50s
3500 SCY

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wed:
5 mile morning run.

3100 scy noon swim:
500 swim
100 kick
200 IM
3x3 x 100 (1:40 under 1:15, 1:20 under 1:10, 1:10 under 1:05)
100 kick
3 x 200 pull on 2:30
100 kick
3 x 100 IM on 1:30
300 ez swim

Ran a bit more coaching track practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope y'all don't mind me joining here for a few months
Swimmer turned Runner taking a summer to focus on triathlons
Swam four times in April and swimming 2-3 times per week till mid September IM.
Since I switched sports in 2011 I haven't swam much, 25 swims 2014-2021 so I'm more or less starting from scratch. Old PRs of 17:39 5:01 1:54 :53 :24
I'm signed up for 3 tris (sprint/oly/IM) and 2 swims (1mi/2.4mi) the first of which is the mile at the end of this month which I swam in 29:41 last year off of four swims

Mn:
AM: 3500 yd
8x250 in ~ 3:55s (3:49-4:04) (37s rec)
10x150 in ~2:28 (2:25-2:33) (20s rec)
PM: 5mi in 8:20s, some knee pain from tight legs

Th:
AM: 3000 yd
500 in 7:42 WU
5x100 on the 2 min, 1:22s
300 200 500 250 300 3x150 all roughly 1:35-1:40/100yd with more rest than useful
Ran to/from the pool (4mi @ 7:13s total)

PM: planned 8-10 run @ 7:15-7:30

'22 IMMD, '23 SwimRun MD
Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.4 mi 69:23, 950 free and 25 kick (scy). Pool closed early

Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [RunnerSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hope y'all don't mind me joining here for a few months
Swimmer turned Runner taking a summer to focus on triathlons
Swam four times in April and swimming 2-3 times per week till mid September IM.
Since I switched sports in 2011 I haven't swam much, 25 swims 2014-2021 so I'm more or less starting from scratch. Old PRs of 17:39 5:01 1:54 :53 :24
I'm signed up for 3 tris (sprint/oly/IM) and 2 swims (1mi/2.4mi) the first of which is the mile at the end of this month which I swam in 29:41 last year off of four swims

Welcome! Happy to have you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice write up, Monty. I admire your racing, but I think I admire your attention and commitment to the race report more. I mean that in the nicest way. I feel like I’m right there, listening and zoning out and listening again. I like people like you.

Masters Nationals in Irvine next year would be fun! I’d like to see/meet a few swimmers from ST there.
Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam twice this week. Nothing fast or long or spectacular. Currently sitting at 3600m for the week. Hopefully one more swim tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: May fish thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2.25 mi run, 1150 yd swim, 5 mi run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skipped my monday swim, got back in Wed. started lifting Wed afternoon after about 3 weeks off for taper, and hoo boy am I sore today.

Wed swim:
700 warmup
4 rounds of 100 kick, 600 pull (6:31-6:26-6:24-6:21)

3500scy

+45 min strength session

today (Friday)

700 warmup
500 easy, 30s rest
2x100 strong on 1:20
400 easy, 30s rest
300 easy, 30s rest
200easy, 30s rest
100 easy, 30s rest
4x50 easy

3400scy

+30 min bike session

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am tired and cranky. Easy day today - 2075 yd swim (1000 free + 50 kick + 900 free + 50 kick + 50 free + 25 kick).
Lat strained again in the 50 free. At least I am able to get farther w/o pain.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You aren't the only one tired, I took off 3 days and stated lifting again yesterday. I feel your pain Adrain, man am I sore today. Got in and felt really sluggish and slow, so just got it done:

3x100s@1;40(1;26/25/24)
1650 sm paddle pull, descend by 500(21;43--6;44/6;36/6;27)
12x50@1;10 IM order--fly(38's) back(46/45/43)brst(47/46/44) free(36/35/33+) 200 kick
2750SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to do some work on my kick for something a bit different at the moment. Always been good at pull and pull buoy sets but my kick is a bit shameful.

SCM
300 easy
All fins
Two rounds of
25x25 fast swim on 25
25x25 fast kick on 25
5 minutes easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday ran 10.71 mi in 1h39
Today 2075 yd swim and lifted

3 x (500 swim, 50 kick) 712, 652, 635
2 x (100 swim. 50 kick) 1:15s
50 swim 25 kick cd

Quote Reply

Prev Next