Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
May I Fish? Thread
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed for my friends in the Northern Hemisphere - hopefully the bulk of your pools/lakes/beaches will accomodate swimming soon...so let's start a thread in hope!

Looks like I will be in the bay tomorrow..and it has snuck under 16C... so we will see how we go.
Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today marks 7 weeks out of the water. We've had a bit of a heat wave here on the Western slope, so it's time to give open water ago this week in an area lake.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
Fingers crossed for my friends in the Northern Hemisphere - hopefully the bulk of your pools/lakes/beaches will accomodate swimming soon...so let's start a thread in hope!

Looks like I will be in the bay tomorrow..and it has snuck under 16C... so we will see how we go.

Our parks and trails are now open (hopefully people will behave and they stay that way), although beaches remain closed. Still too cold to swim though. I don't know when the pools will be open, so I might have to buy a wetsuit.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 4, 20 5:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been out of the water sine Oct/Nov when my shoulder went bad. I had surgery scheduled the morning of 3/17 and surgery was canceled the evening of 3/16 for our Stay-at-home orders. I was hoping to be able to start swimming again right about now. Instead, I just got rescheduled scheduled surgery for 5/26. If I'm lucky I might get to try swimming July.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pool is open and it felt so good
3.3 mi very easy run
1500m swim
lifted weights

700 w/u
50 kick
5 x [100 fast + 50 easy backstroke]

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry :-( that's a major bummer

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:

Haha.... normally I NEVER brave open water in Ottawa Canada before June 1st. I believe my earliest is June 2nd, but prefer to wait till 9/10 range.

With this thread and my 7.5 week dry spell, I think I need ONE ENTRY on this thread on May 31st. I have a friend who lives on the Ottawa river where it is 4 km wide an like a lake so I am not limited by parks and beaching closed till June 30th. There appears to be no rule YET on "on water" activity when accessed from private land, but let's see what the local dictators kick up when everyone and their dog gets boats, kayaks, canoes, sea doos and fishing gear out on account of being couped up.

Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the positive side I've finally taken the plunge and purchased a smart trainer and have dipped my toe into Zwift. Pretty sure I'll be a Zwift only athlete until July.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a great lake roughly a 1/2 mile from my house and open access pretty much anytime I want. With the air temps struggling to make 50Âş this week and water temps in the 30sÂş, it's unlikely that I'll be wanting to use that access anytime soon.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our Governor has seen the light! San Clemente and Laguna Beach beaches will be opening in a limited manner. I believe Laguna's model is weekdays from 6 to 10AM. My pod is soooo happy. Now, all we need is for the red tide to disappear. I've swam at Salt Creek Strands the past few days and this morning, it was thick, thick, thick! I couldn't see my hands in the water at all. Sure is pretty at night, though! It glows!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 swims in 5 days in CO. Probably shouldn't have waited so long to start. Water feels warm enough to skip the suit, but my Fenix says it's 63F. Either way nice to get some open water time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where I live, the beach is open and the water temp is 8-10C. Swam 3 times last week:
3km + 5km + 5km. Will be more this week.
It's cool to be cold;)

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way.
If you don't, you'll find an excuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
3.3 mi very easy run
1500m swim
lifted weights

700 w/u
50 kick

are you in North America? Any special procedures at your pool? I imagined a procedure for keeping my pool open through all of this similar to the process at Trader Joe's or Chick-a-Filet but they closed anyway :(

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
3.3 mi very easy run
1500m swim
lifted weights

700 w/u
50 kick

That must be awesome that your pool opened up !!!
Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
are you in North America? Any special procedures at your pool? I imagined a procedure for keeping my pool open through all of this similar to the process at Trader Joe's or Chick-a-Filet but they closed anyway :(

Rural Oklahoma. The Y is open. The procedures are temp checks when you enter the building, asking people to wear masks while in the y (not while swimming) but not requiring them. Store clerks here were threatened with violence and verbally abused when the town tried to make mask required. Very red state... not proud of the behaviour of some of the locals lately.

1.75 mi run, 2.3 mi walk, 2500m swim today

20 x 100 on 1:50
500 c/d mixing free, fly kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm now legally swimming in the ocean! The beaches are open, thanks in no small part to an email campaign we started, to ask the state to adopt Laguna Beach's limited use plan of weekdays from 6AM to 10AM, only, with no loitering. Now, if we can only get rid of this red tide! It's so murky & nasty. At least the temperature has bounced up to 64 deg! No more wetsuit for me!
Today, we socially distanced swam to the big red buoy off of Dana Point Harbor from Strands. It's about 1200 yards out and loaded with seals, who barked happily (I think) upon our arrival.It felt faster swimming back, with the swells, but the current was against us and I was 10-15 seconds slower 100 pace while returning. Followed the swim with a 3.5 mile beach run, stair climb, then hard hill repeats. Bought a Normatec, set it for 30 minutes and promptly fell asleep. Just made a dozen corn tortillas for tonight's festivities.
Tomorrow, we plan to get up real early, in the dark, to check out the bioluminescence at the beach, and swim in it.

Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well-done on obtaining access rights!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit the club for my first pool swim since mid March. I had 4 recent open water swims under my belt. Did my test set in warm up since I was pumped to swim. 8 100s on 1:30. Held 1:13-14 all the way with stroke holding together and just a little winded the last few. Then I proceeded to slog my way to a total of 3200 yards. Freestyle wasn’t bad but my other strokes I had a definite slowdown. Not a bad start I think I’m just gonna go everyday and I should be back in shape by next Monday. Club swimmers and the swim school were not in session so the pool was quite pleasant with 8-10 swimmers at any given time. I had empty lane buffer on both sides of me the entire time. They removed most of the lounge chairs but other than that we were pretty much on our own to social distance. I did sign a waiver before I entered the club . Honestly I didn’t even read it I was just so happy to see the pool open
Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff to all that can get back in & swim..

I swam today for the first time in about a week, as we have had a heap of rain here in Melbourne - I was going to swim yesterday, but when I got to the beach, there was just a little too much tan-coloured foam floating around (!!!). If fact...we have overtaken last year's entire rainfall already (which is good...).
Just 1.2kms today, and yes it is getting colder - it looks like we are under 15C (59F).. Hoping for a longer one tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Rural Oklahoma. The Y is open. The procedures are temp checks when you enter the building, asking people to wear masks while in the y (not while swimming) but not requiring them. Store clerks here were threatened with violence and verbally abused when the town tried to make mask required. Very red state... not proud of the behaviour of some of the locals lately.

1.75 mi run, 2.3 mi walk, 2500m swim today

20 x 100 on 1:50
500 c/d mixing free, fly kick

yeah that doesn't sound very considerate. Ban them from the store?

I *really* missed swimming at first, which is weird because I'm a non-swimmer and would have thought running was my therapy, but turns out swimming was. Now though I really enjoy running again so maybe it switched.

It will be interesting to get back into the swing of things once things reopen here in NC. I see no reason the pool can't be open. I asked mykd pool in the beginning to close the locker rooms and open the pool to the outside and require everyone to just come from their cars to the pool maintaining distance and wearing masks. Of course, I lived in Asia for 4 years total, so to me it wasn't a big deal but the mask thing was viewed as over the top, even in my liberal town. I'm sure we'll all be wearing them soon.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I see no reason the pool can't be open. I asked mykd pool in the beginning to close the locker rooms and open the pool to the outside and require everyone to just come from their cars to the pool maintaining distance and wearing masks

It makes sense to me but you're preaching to the choir. I think as long as you can avoid people hanging out on the deck... the pool in Oklahoma City's Y has people sign up for 45-minute slots and it's one per lane. I hope you can get access.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pools here yet. Ocean is still open. Water temps are still in the low 50s (which keeps away red tide...). I must be getting acclimated to the chill because I'm lasting a solid hour without chilling. I'm planning a long 90 minute swim for later this week if the winds die down (I want my man-child to kayak for me). If the conditions are calm enough, I'd like to swim the big triangle between the teeny islands (aka, big rocks sticking up) out here. My wetsuit is falling apart.... I don't think it was intended for 4x per week use.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8.3 mi easy run, 1200m swim generally goofing off

Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re coping better than me. Yesterday, we saw 66° water. So, for this morning I elected to go skin. I’ve been using my SwimRun wetsuit, essentially a shorty, but I was quite warm at 66°.
We decided to see the biolumenecense this morning, so up early. It wasn’t as strong. We think it’s finally dying out. But, the temperature dropped to 63°. We did a half hour swim and I got the drop like ten minutes later with a good shiver and every other finger on my right hand going numb and turning white.
I think I’m back in the wettie tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Re: May I Fish? Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! 66! 63!!! Send it north! Today’s swim was 51. I lasted 43 minutes and it was rough. A lot of water getting in my well patched wetsuit these days. I’d buy a new one. But it is just going to get beat to hell with how frequently I’m wearing it!

I’m starting to smell permanently of the ocean. It is always in my nose now.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply

Prev Next