Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
May Fish Thread
Quote | Reply
Brag about your workouts and splits here :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flew back to Maine on Saturday, went in the ocean yesterday because I could (ran in, dove under a wave, got out), and am now back in scy. The first half of my workout the pool felt really short (have been in scm) then it felt normal. I grew up in this pool so scy are my factory settings.

2725 yd swim + 2 mi run

500 on 7:30
5 x 100 on 1:30
8 x [50 kick + 100 fast] 1:14, 1:13, 1:14, 1:12, 1:14, 1:13, 1:13, 1:13
2 x [50 kick + 200 fast] 2:33, 2:33
25 back c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimrun session yesterday for me. ~12.5miles total, swim was 6 segments around 500m each. ~2hr15 min total time. Air temp started in the low 60's, almost 80 by the time we were done. Water temp around 68, felt great.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2775 yd swim, 2.5 mi run

500 on 8
6 x [300 fast + 50 easy kick] 3:58, 3:54, 3:57, 3:55, 3:55, 3:53
175 c/d mix free, back, kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so today was it. As I started my taper after the Mnt bike race Saturday.
Did an easy run early Monday am and my last efforts today in the pool. And oh man... really really happy.

Our set was :
3 rounds of
2x100 on 3min
1x50
All of it max
Easy 300 between rounds.
——-
My plan was to do some alactate work on round one w my training buddy and do all of set #2. Which I did. I used my race outfit as well. Roka Tri suit w short sleeves and a roka swim skin. And (although I didn’t want to ... I did) use the floaty blue seventy shorts In case the race is wetsuit legal.

My 2x100s were 56 low and then a 54!!! I was shocked. It was so fast.
The 50 was a solid 25 high (not my best) but here comes the fun part.

My training buddy has not been able to break 25 for a 50 yet so he changed round 3 to be 3x 50 max w a 50 easy
I said I’d do the last one w him.
I lost the floaty shorts.
And Eric and I both went 24. He was 24.8 on his watch and I finished ahead (yes!!! Ahead) of him so I was prob 24.5 or .6

Needless to say it doesn’t exactly apply to open water 1500 I’m doing in 4 days. But... man did it feel amazing to go that fast. Just unreal. Even my training buddy was shocked!!!

All for now

Daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some real world class(for a 45+er) sprints there my friend. Like I said to you earlier, you now have all the tools for any type of swim that could come your way on race day. Hang with the fastest feet, or break the back of others trying to hang with you on that first 300 blast off. Then settle in to whatever the day brings you in the water, and set up for a great bike and run, off the front preferably..

I had another swim day off yesterday, and may have had the best single day of swimming workouts I have had in over 2 years today. And it was all handicapped by 85/86 degree water, and altitude. Don't know what to think about that, except I would have literally been on fire in a sea level pool at 79 degrees today.

10x200@3;10 as(2 swim-2;44/2;38)(3 buoy-2;36/2;34/2;31)3pull(2;22/2;22/2;23) 1 IM kick@4;30(3;46) 1 pull for time(2;13--1;06/1;07, new PR by a lot for the past couple years+) 100 kick(1;57)
2x100 IM hard@2;30(1;16/1;16)
500 moderate pull to recover and descend(6;24)
4x50, odds kick@1;30(56/54) even's fly and breast(34 and 39)
3000SCY in 57 minutes

This was by far the best set of 200's I have done in a very long time, from the warm up to final time trial, and in between. Then the 1;16's for IM's were solid feeling, just winded and hot, and ending with dead arms and still managing a 34 fly and 39 breast from push. I do believe I must be getting in shape, this every other day routine is resting me for really hard days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just about to start this thread and was gonna title it, “May the Fish be with You.” Oh well.

Swam yesterday morning.
500s
500kwf
5x100s@1:45 1:20,1:18,1:16,1:17,1:15
2x[50 brk/200p]
Ladder swim based on :45 50/100/150/200
All open turns. Not ready to flip.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty!!
It’s been a trip!
Never did I think at the start in feb that I would ever come close to the times I’ve posted. And let alone be competitive w my training buddy.

Thanks for the encouragement and guidance. I’m so grateful for so many things right now. Saturday will be hard AF. But I’m ready.

Great swims yourself!! Some super 200s!!!!

More from Bama. Just hope my bike makes it unscathed. Eeeek always the most stressful for me.

Daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3025 yd swim + 2.6 mi run

500 on 7:30
20 x 100 on 1:30 (1:17-1:18)
3 x [50 kick + 100 fast] 1:13, 1:12, 1:13
75 c/d backstroke and fly kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pool closed this week so had to go to next town over. 3300 SCY

1200S (16:50)
4x50K on 1:15
6x200 alt IM/FR on 3:30 and 3:00. IMs 2:58-02, FR 2:44-6
4x50K on 1:15
10x50 FR on 50 (37-40)

Monty, you’re flying. Would be good if you can find a local masters meet and post some top 10 times with CA opening up.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying my best to find a meet, anywhere here in CA. But the one that happens every month is only for the Mission Viejo team at the moment, and others have yet to pitch up, even though there are meets all over the place. Just about every weekend there is a big high school or age group meet at the weekend pool I swim at, so they can happen. Just most RD's are not interested at the moment, just a losing $$ proposition I would imagine with the restricted numbers and extra protocols.

I looked at the overall top 10 list for my AG this past year, and my 3 workout IM's in the 100/200/400 put me 3rd to 5th or so. My best workout breast times are also around the 5th place times. I know last year was a total bust though, so not a lot of top times were to be swam, but it looks good for me later on. Just need some more speed, endurance, and as you said, some real off the blocks race experience. Just the couple dives I have done really seemed forced and awkward, and one I got a foot cramp almost immediately. Gonna need to work out those tiny kinks, because as you know, it is really a game of inches swimming pool races...

On a 4 day mini vacation now, but called a local club to see if I can get in with them one day to hold my form..Thanks for the support, still hoping we can all get together in NC in July...
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3025 yd swim + 2.7 mi run
I had a really strong, fast kick this morning and it felt great.

2 x 500 on 7:30 (7:02, 6:51)
100 easy
5 x [200 fast + 50 kick] 2:36, 2:33, 2:32, 2:34, 2:33
100 fast 1:13
100 easy
100 fast 1:16 (wasn't focusing)
50 kick
100 fast 1:12
50 kick
100 fast 1:13
75 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2925 yd swim and 2.7 mi run

500 in 7:30
2 x (100 fast + 50 kick) 1:13s
200 fast 2:32
2 x (100 fast + 50 kick) 1:13, 1:14
4 x (200 fast + 50 kick) 2:30, 2:31, 2:30, 2:32
25 cd

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuesday's swim: cancelled at last second (literally standing on the deck, goggles on, about to jump in) due to 'lightning in the area'

Wed:
300 easy
8x50 drill
12x200 on 2:45 as
1-4 descend
5-8 as 50 strong, 100 cruise, 50 strong
9-12 descend
2x50 easy
4x50 fast
2x50 easy cool down
3500scy

+4.4 miles easy with strides

Thurs: Pull Day
300 easy
8x50 drill
2x100 with ankle band
2x150 with ankle band (because I wasn't paying attention on 100 #3, decided to just repeat another 150 to get to 500 yards with the ankle band)
6x250 as
1 = buoy only
2= buoy + paddles
3,4,5 = buoy, paddles, shoes
6 = paddles + ankle band
6x50 cruise/ get feel back after using toys

3000scy

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On vacation and was able to drop in today on an actual masters workout, water was 80(they were complaining it was cold, I was in heaven!!) and I had swimmers all around me!! Was 2 to lane, but starting on same side with 11 lanes. Two fast lanes had 45+ guys that still blow it up, fastest in nation for that AG and most others really. I got to swim 4 lanes down with the top women, pushing the hell out of me. The entire workout was 75's/50's/25's, so figuring Fridays must be sprint day, I didn't mind. Threw in some strokes to break up all the different swims;

Total was about 3k in 65 minutes, so lots of rest and all faster stuff. For the life of me, I cannot remember what we did, just looked over at the gal that was half wheeling me the entire time, trying not to be checked too bad..I remember some 34/35 50 fly's, 39 for backstroke, and a 41 for breast. Actually did a paddle only 50 in 28+, has to be the fastest I have gone in years..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Tuesday's swim: cancelled at last second (literally standing on the deck, goggles on, about to jump in) due to 'lightning in the area'

That's a bummer.

5 mi run + 2850 yd swim

3 x 500 on 7:30 lazy descend 7:14, 7:01, 6:51
50 kick
50 kick
4 x [100 fast + 50 kick] 1:14, 1:13, 1:13, 1:13
150 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transition time for me now, as I switch to a 2 open water, 1 pool swim strategy per week.

Thurs. lake swim was the first without gloves or booties.

Swam out, 1-sided breathing at 1/2 IM pace = 14:45

Swam back, bilateral at IM pace, with really working on brushing my thighs with my thumbs to maximize propulsion - form went totally to hell in the last 4 minutes = 14:17

Something to be learned, or re-learned there, I think.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 mi run + 3350 yd swim
2 x 25 (goggle problem)
500 swim
50 kick
50 kick
400 swim
50 kick
4 x [100 fast + 50 kick] 1:15, 1:15, 1:14, 1:14
350 swim
25 kick
100 swim
100 flutter kick
100 swim
100 breast kick
100 swim
4 x 25 fly kick
100 swim
75 flutter kick

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: May 11, 21 5:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any of y'all fishies heard of Brent Hayden?

Dude is my new swim coach.

My journey to jettison my Slowtwitch user name is documented here

From Hydrosloth to Hydroshark. A voyage of swimming competence. | http://www.fitspeek.com

Some interesting developments in the pool yesterday.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright Monty and fellow fish followers...

Xterra bama recap...

Very atypical bama weather. 45 degree nights and mornings lead to, as you can guess, a wetsuit swim. First time in a very long time. So, i threw on the floaty shorts and did a lap prior to the early race happening.
Swam easy and was like 23min or so.

Then I sat in my rental and cranked the heat. Trying to get core warm. It worked.
Headed down to swim start and watched the pro heats go off. All 6 women ha.

Standing there with the guy i wanted to draft off and all was good. Then suddenly... we were going. No loud speaker, no horn just the 7-8 guys who lined up in front of us took off then it was a free for all.
Swim generally was great. I was 5th fastest and content, not thrilled but content w the swim. Stayed very in control. Wanted to keep HR low and anxiety low as I got to land. A smooth transition and passed a couple guys through there and headed out 3rd amateur.

Hit the trails and this was where things just didnt work. A few pedal strikes. And slide outs. Just dumb mnt bike stuff that I dont normally do. Could not get my breathing to settle even though I was going easy. About 15min into the bike two of the pro (non swimmers) caught me and I jumped on some wheels and that seemed to help but it was short lived.
Once i hit the long climb I just could not find a rhythm. From there until the end of the race it was a total fight to stay engaged. I could not find my flow.
I got passed by the guy who got 3rd overall. And was riding with the lead woman. Dropped her and rode w him at 15 sec or so in front of me until the last couple miles when I kind of gave up to be honest. I was pushing but it wasnt happening. I opted to drink my bottles and stretch vs hammering each corner.

Got into transition as second place amateur (I thought) and had to fight a gaggle of girls surrounding my transition spot. No biggie. Put on the shoes and thought ok.. Im still ok and ive trained my run. With the new run course I was familiar w the first 2.8 miles or so but the new section they did (to make the run one loop) was new. Single track running. Would have been fun but legs got crampy jumping a couple downed trees. Passed Brandon Rakita at one point and thought I was going pretty good. Hit the new section of trail that looped back and saw 4 more places about 1min back. I was running ok though and it took a while for them to get me, but I had to settle for 8th amateur and 3rd in my age group.

I had diamonds in my legs on wed and thursday while i was resting. I felt great. Pre-ride on friday, pretty much the same but figured I had to work out some 2 day off kinks. Prob rode too much the day before. But with all my training I was 100% that even with a hard effort the day before, I could still race well as I was doing super hard efforts for days in a row of training.
I executed at 110% on what my body was giving me yesterday. It was painful and ugly (post swim) and Im proud that my fitness carried me through.

Gonna enjoy some cookies and beers the next couple days. But then I am more determined than ever to get back to it. Im considering the rest of the americas tour and Maui in december. (assuming covid and shit doest erupt.)

daved

Last edited by: daved: May 9, 21 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job there Dave, not an atypical type of race having not raced in a long time. Lot of buggie starts, HR will be wonky going up and down MTB courses, and it just takes some races to get to be comfortable again. I looked at all the splits in the race, you did well with your swim handicap. But of course if me, I would be asking myself how would the race have gone had I been on the lead swimmers feet(where you certainly would have been with a wettie), and how that would have helped the bike course play out for you being first or so onto it?

So I have to wonder, you still have the same attitude towards this, or did all those guys going by you piss you off enough to at least think about those couple minutes? And yes, you blew some of your race panicking right before, but that is also part of racing a lot, and frequently. It is the power of the taper, and trusting it to be there while you rest all those days before. Dan does that a lot here, has to test his speed and fitness, usually the day before, and always regrets it on race day. Often only going as fast as that last tune up that felt easy, but on race day, it feels a lot, lot harder.(wonder why?). (-;

I'm very excited for you to have that under your belt, I hope to be able to join you, and maybe even be in Hawaii in dec myself. It's just those races are so long for me now, virtually a half ironman in time to what I used to race back in the day. Suppose everyone in my age group is pretty much in the same boat though, so there is that..

Did my first ocean swim yesterday, but mostly just body surfing 4ft waves to shore, and then racing out through the surf. It felt awesome, but been so long, I had the same cobwebs you experienced. drove home from vacation today, and made the double hour swim I registered for two weeks ago, so did my longest swim in years.

40x100swim as-25@1;35, every 5th IM (swims- 1;24 to 1;20, buoys- 1;21/1;20's)5buoy and IM@1;30- 10 IM kick@2;10, every 5th IM @ 1;40-- Kicks(1;56 to 1;53's) IM's(1;24/1;21/1;21/1;21/1;23/1;23/1;24/1;22)
2x500p@7;00(6;40/6;39)
5000SCY in 82 minutes

Longest hard swim by far, arms were totally blown for the last 1k of pulling. Felt pretty comfortable with all the IM's struggled a bit towards the end but held speed. Never did IM's on 1;35 before, that was interesting..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on the AG podium!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wall tag (3425 yd swim) and 3 mi run
3 x 200 on 3:00 warmup (2:44s)
50 kick on 1:20
25 x 100 on 1:25 held 1:16-1:17
100 easy
100 "fast" (1:15, just trying to break out of the pace groove of the threshold set)
50 easy
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty and Tigerchick

As I have said to you (off line), I am still digesting and trying to learn something from this event.

Im struggling to find what was wrong.
I mean I really raced in training.
I raced my buddy in the swimming. Those were some super fast (non BS) times I was doing.
I raced my friend on the run doing intervals and 10k efforts at and below 6min / mi pace
I competed with my buddies on road and mnt bikes and even did a mnt bike elite cat race the weekend before.

So that race effort should not have been new or manageable. Was it just a bad day? it wasn't hot. That could have been bad for me.
I planned for nutrition both pre race and during and did that, minus a gel that fell out, to at T.

Really need a bit a down time as I poured everything into this and spend some time figuring it out.

I will go swim this am and will post that. It wont be much. Need to move my body which is so oddly sore....

Im at a total loss. Anyone else ever experience this?

daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the result and getting a start to your season the good news is that you will have plenty of chances to redeem yourself. It sounds like you missed your taper and were only partially rested. Taper can put your body in a funk and put your performance off. You are at a high level just move forward with the rest of your season as if the race was just a warm up and I’m sure better results will come. If you do the Laguna race at the end of summer, I can offer you a place to stay. I’m about 20 minutes from the race locale.
Quote Reply

Prev Next