Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mavic UST wheels with non-Mavic tubeless tires
Quote | Reply
Anyone have first hand experience with doing this? Despite the "universal" claim, I can't find anywhere saying outright that UST wheels work well with say schwalbe/Vittoria/GP5000 tubeless tires. I'd love to grab some mavic UST wheels right now but don't want to condemn myself to only mavic tires forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic UST wheels with non-Mavic tubeless tires [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UST wheels are compatible with tubeless tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic UST wheels with non-Mavic tubeless tires [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would normally say thanks for the reply but that's not helpful nor does it answer my question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He did, UST is a standard for tubeless wheels to work with tubeless tires. Mavic has their 'system' to fully control rim diameter and tire bead, but that doesn't inhibit using any other UST compliant tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic UST wheels with non-Mavic tubeless tires [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I need to be clearer, but I said it in my OP...I'm specifically asking for firsthand experience. Not a claim based on reading websites.

The internet is full of statements like yours, but nowhere (and now 0 for 2 replies here) can I find someone saying "I've done this myself, and I've experienced no issues. I got the other brand tire to seat perfectly and no issues", etc etc etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have successfully mounted and ridden Panaracer Gravel King ST 700 x 35c TLC tires on Mavic Allroad Elite UST wheels. It required a compressor to seat the bead. Once the bead was seated I put Continental sealant in the tires and rode them for a while without any tire issues.

I ended up selling these wheels though because I was frustrated with the freehub body, which appeared to made of a soft French cheese (the image on the package may have specifically suggested "no loose cassettes"). Hard Japanese steel (Shimano) is much more better!
Last edited by: brando: Nov 26, 19 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
"I've done this myself, and I've experienced no issues. I got the other brand tire to seat perfectly and no issues", etc etc etc.

I have done this with Mavic UST wheels. I'm not a fan of Mavic's tires so, except for a very short trial run, my Mavic UST wheels have only been used with other manufacturers' tires. I've used them with Challenge, Panaracer, Continental, and probably another brand or two. Thousands of miles on pavement and gravel. Never a problem. The tires mount and seat very easily -- slightly more easily than on the ENVE and HED wheels I also have used tubeless. The only real problem I've ever had with a tubeless wheel (HED) was when the rim tape got old and started coming loose, causing a leak. With Mavic's UST wheels, you don't rely on rim tape -- they don't use rim tape because the rim is sealed -- one less place for air to leak.

I have no hesitation recommending Mavic UST wheels for use with other makers' tires. The lack of rim tape is a major advantage, in my book.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic UST wheels with non-Mavic tubeless tires [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the mavic ust wheelset and they are great. I have used several different tires w/o issue. I swear they came with rim tape. If it is a sealed rim what is the deal with the rim tape?
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic UST wheels with non-Mavic tubeless tires [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There shouldn’t be any on a Mavic UST wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic UST wheels with non-Mavic tubeless tires [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, but I bought the wheelset brandnew and rim tape came in the box. Strange, I guess I am going to leave it installed. What would it hurt?
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic UST wheels with non-Mavic tubeless tires [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rim tape would make it a little harder to install or remove a tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon UST with Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless on it. I am very happy with that combination.

However, getting the tire on the rim was awful, horrible pain in the a**. Well, at least it was very easy to pump them up once they were on and they hold air very well. Have not pumped it up in weeks.

Quote Reply