Matt Russell in the wind tunnel
Quote | Reply
Right here:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ind_Tunnel_6868.html

Plus an interview next week
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the story. I always find these tests interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious why is he on the Serious and not an Andean?
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His Andean is still in Hawaii - for accident investigation purposes. And the new one arrived about 30 minutes too late - after he had already departed for the tunnel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering his Andean will be his A race bike that is a lot of data missed by not delaying that test...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Considering his Andean will be his A race bike that is a lot of data missed by not delaying that test...

^^^
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention the poor fitting Castelli which even looks completely stretched out, and is he really going to bother with shoe covers that don’t breath?
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Not to mention the poor fitting Castelli which even looks completely stretched out, and is he really going to bother with shoe covers that don’t breath?

Yea, looks like money to burn.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you have watts saved numbers for the shoe covers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. I'd certainly postpone things until I got my "A race" bike.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and not your bike is the biggest aero problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t things like helmet and clothing be largely independent of the frame? Those sit above the bike and are dependent on position, not what’s happening underneath his body.

So long has he can recreate same position on Andean, then wouldn’t the gains from those aspects carry over?
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The position numbers are easily duplicated, but indeed it is clothing, helmets etc plus your position.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, what a waste. That said, it probably cost him nothing as Sponsor probably paid for it.

ggeiger wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Yea, looks like money to burn.....
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jun 2, 18 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He had lost quite a bit of weight
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere by someone who's done a lot of testing that a fast position one one bike is usually a fast position on another bike and I'm adding if you can port it over.

Some of you guys on here slay me.

One thread it's the rider is at least 85% of the drag then the next minute it's what a waste not testing on his race bike.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I look at it in people compare what is a good CdA number in relation to a good position so it would be nice to know that number in relation to what you are racing on. Not necessary I know but if I was going to a wind tunnel I would want to know it even for comparison for your next bike down the track. If the Andean is so aero as claimed it would have been a good marketing opportunity for Diamondback as well. I understand what frame you use, provided you can replicate the position is not 100% necessary for establishing time gains especially for equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much of these wind tunnel wattage savings actually play out in the real world? I might never get 20 additional HIM watts from training, so doing wind tunnel testing seems tempting. But I just find some of the numbers that come out ridiculous. >10W for a change in triathlon suit? Seems like so much.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10W for a custom bio racer suit vs an old stretched out Castelli is easily possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
10W for a custom bio racer suit vs an old stretched out Castelli is easily possible.

No doubt. I really hesitate people testing their current suit versus new suits as it isn't an apples-to-apples to comparison. It really is part of the problem I believe in making suits appear so fast on paper. We ran the same "fast" suit on me twice last time at the tunnel because we didn't like the numbers, but I said, "I can feel the bottom of the suit flapping around now". I am sure the suit was fast when it was new and tight, and well-shaped, but after a few uses and being stuffed in a compartment for way too long it was no longer fast. Which begs the question, unless you have an unlimited budget should the suits be saved for "A" races. For every Ironman Crowie did he ran in a new pair of Newtons. I wouldn't be surprised if the top dogs are wearing a new suit for every race. I was a low dog and 2XU was making me 4-7 trisuits a year. I probably could have had more if I asked.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed TG, I try to save the nice suit for A races, and some of the older stuff for B races :)

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

No doubt. I really hesitate people testing their current suit versus new suits as it isn't an apples-to-apples to comparison. It really is part of the problem I believe in making suits appear so fast on paper. We ran the same "fast" suit on me twice last time at the tunnel because we didn't like the numbers, but I said, "I can feel the bottom of the suit flapping around now". I am sure the suit was fast when it was new and tight, and well-shaped, but after a few uses and being stuffed in a compartment for way too long it was no longer fast. Which begs the question, unless you have an unlimited budget should the suits be saved for "A" races. For every Ironman Crowie did he ran in a new pair of Newtons. I wouldn't be surprised if the top dogs are wearing a new suit for every race. I was a low dog and 2XU was making me 4-7 trisuits a year. I probably could have had more if I asked.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Russell in the wind tunnel [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. I bought a sleeved suit in 2015, did two short training sessions in it to confirm fit and comfort, and ever since I've only raced important races in it.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply