Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Matching Peloton Power Zones with Wahoo Kickr
Quote | Reply
Wondering whether anyone has calibrated a Wahoo kickr to match peloton power zones?

In the off season, i enjoy subscribing to peloton digital and taking a few power zone classes. The problem is that I end up riding "too hard" and don't end up enjoying the class as much.

Rather than try to calibrate on my own, thought i'd see whether someone has encountered and solved this problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Matching Peloton Power Zones with Wahoo Kickr [dzinyo00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you riding on a Peloton bike or just using the classes? I have found that the Peloton bike dramatically overestimates the power I produce. On a trainer with a Powertap hub I'm doing 2x20:00 intervals at 275w each. But on the Peloton I'm hitting a FTP test of 349w. So I really have to have two sets of zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the eternal struggle with Power. And there's a difference between calibration (setting up a device so that it is recording as accurately as possible) and conversion (converting numbers from one device to another). Power zones are specific to the device on which they are captured (and differences are not always linear or proportional either, different devices have different strengths and weaknesses, so some devices struggle with certain types of efforts, so may be less acurrate in some zones than others)... Which is why, even when I ride on my smart trainer, I collect power from my power meter (Garmin Vector3s), so that I am comparing apples to apples, whether I am riding outside or on the trainer. The problem with something like Peloton, is that the power zones calculated on there will be different, than those calculated by the kickr, and different than those by any other device. There's not a consistent correction factor that you can apply to convert the results... If you're using multiple devices, you really need to do an FTP test on each to properly adjust the training zones. If you don't want to do the 20min test, you could do a step test for FTP on the kicker, depending on what you're using for software...
Quote Reply
Re: Matching Peloton Power Zones with Wahoo Kickr [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm simply using my bike on the Wahoo trainer. Power zones were determined by FTP test on the trainer. Your experience makes sense becuase by trying to hit "Zone 7" (per the peloton class), i literally cannot move the pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Matching Peloton Power Zones with Wahoo Kickr [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Although I wondered (hence the question) whether someone on the forum has already done that since i don't own the peloton bike.
i.e. if someone has done FTP tests on both peloton and on a trainer and wouldn't mind sharing their zones, i'd do an approximate extrapolation and then convert my numbers accordingly. This approach is definitely not scientific but i think it'd get me close enough so I can enjoy the classes without doing over working every single day :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if the class says go to Zone 7 (to burst into flames and die, I presume) can't you just use what zone 7 would be based on the FTP done on Wahoo? On the Peloton bike you get a zone read out only after taking the FTP test. Are you getting a specific number to hit with the class only version?

I also wonder if the power test results on a stationary bike read high because it is more stable to stand up and get a lot of power even at low cadence. On my regular trainer I find it hard to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Matching Peloton Power Zones with Wahoo Kickr [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
Are you riding on a Peloton bike or just using the classes? I have found that the Peloton bike dramatically overestimates the power I produce. On a trainer with a Powertap hub I'm doing 2x20:00 intervals at 275w each. But on the Peloton I'm hitting a FTP test of 349w. So I really have to have two sets of zones.

Yeah I used my Assioma pedals to calibrate my peloton and turned it down significantly so that it roughly matches. Big improvement :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have two easy conversion options, call it Rosetta Stone for your training... RPE (rate of perceived exertion) or Heart Rate (if you look at Heart Rate zones), that will arguably (yes I know about HR drift, etc.) get you a less bad approximation of your zones (if you correlate them with power levels) on another device, than looking at someone else's data...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this will necessarily give you an answer because there is probably a pretty big range of calibration errors/variance across a large install base. A peleton sold a year ago in Florida is probably pretty far out of sync with one sold this year in LA or London, and add in the variance of a couple different types of power meters and its not likely there is a common adjustment.

I think you'll either have to adjust your calibration among your own devices, or use a common device ( pedals?) for all of it.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply