Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Masters TT Nationals
Quote | Reply
Any of you guys out there yesterday? It was a blazing tailwind out and a stiff cross headwind back. Pretty scenic to be out on the great salt lake with buffalo roaming around...

Edit. results
Last edited by: CRM4.0: Sep 4, 14 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [CRM4.0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My uncle won the 55-59 at the 34 km distance. He placed 3rd at worlds last week too.... so much jetlag I can only imagine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CRM4.0 wrote:
results

Impressive ride by the rider who timed 42 considering no one else (in any category) goes under 44.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my teammate Dan. He also set a national 40k ag record in June. He has long had a huge motor and this year went to a new bike, got right wheels, tires & helmet and tweaked position. Also won road & stage races for a very impressive season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I guess I was just focused on the race because I don't remember seeing any buffalo. I must have just been cross-eyed in the headwind.

I liked the course. A little bit of everything (climbing, descents, fast tailwind). A little bit of technical cornering is about the only thing missing.

I would love to know what the CdA and power numbers were for The guy who rode the 42:35. I saw one guy out there during warmup on Tuesday who looked REALLY compact in a semi-Levi/DaveZ position, so I wonder if it was him. A sub .2 CdA would be about the only way to go that fast without some serious wattage.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong guy. Dan is 6' and a power rider, but has a pretty good position. He also lost a bit of weight over winter,which probably helped from the sound of that course

Last year: http://folsombikeroadracing.files.wordpress.com/...3/img_0152.jpg?w=590

This year: http://folsombikeroadracing.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/img_9342-x2.jpg
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 4, 14 21:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did USAC measure bikes for set back & reach? I was thinking about going but my position did not met the set back nor reach requirements.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Wrong guy. Dan is 6' and a power rider, but has a pretty good position. He also lost a bit of weight over winter,which probably helped from the sound of that course

Last year: http://folsombikeroadracing.files.wordpress.com/...3/img_0152.jpg?w=590

This year: http://folsombikeroadracing.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/img_9342-x2.jpg

Yep, impressive that you can tweak position and equipment, drop a few lbs, and go from top ten masters, to posting a time most continental pros would have a hard time matching.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hardly. Maybe you didn't read above, or watch the video about all the testing and tweaking he did. He's always had a huge engine, easily domestic (not continental) pro power. A long time cat 1, has done NRC races, and been on the masters podium in not only the TT but also RR the past two years. When we weren't teammates he was one of two guys that I always closely battled with (Chris, who he referenced in the video and finished 2nd the past two years being the other).

Like most successful bike racers he's always had the engine and this year spent a lot of energy putting all the other pieces in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of w/kg are we talking if you know and are willing to share? And what does he weigh? Some of us numbers guys like to see that.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if he wants to share exacting info but in past years he'd do ~390 at sea level for 16.5k efforts. W/kg isn't a good metric to gauge TTs though in today's RR, it will mean something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about this then. How much wattage would it take to do ~44 mins on the Salt Lake course?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would depend on many things like cda, gear setup, proper pacing, etc. One guy might be about to do ~300 and it takes another +40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
How about this then. How much wattage would it take to do ~44 mins on the Salt Lake course?

I rode 375 avg power and was about a minute slower than 44 min.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. The rules are a little different from previous years. If you are shorter than the 75cm bb-tip of the extensions, than set back is just the center of the bb. If longer, 75cm (and less than 80) then you need the 5cm set-back. Taller than 6'1 or 6'2" and you get 85cm

Return to center shifters and electric are interpreted similarly, so the shifter length is only included in the length if it's neutral position exceeds the length of the bar. That was one last minute modification I made was to switch to RTC shifters and point them vertically. This isn't how I interpret the UCI rules, but the ProTour riders seem to be using t

I did the bike check the day before the race and they had me adjust my seat to be level. I swore I had seen in the rules that this would not be enforced, but I couldn't find it. It was another scramble to get that fixed and then get the seat height adjusted the evening before the race. Then at 7am they sent out an e-mail saying. "Oops sorry about that. There is no requirement for levels seats". No way I was going to change anything back that late in the game. I think I did an OK job with my position shuffle because I still had an OK ride for 3rd in the 50-54.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike,

What setback did you ride? I set up my bike at 0 setback and shortened my extensions to 75cm last week and man was I cramped with my knees hitting my elbows. At 6', meeting the 75cm rule is really tough.

Great job getting third. You beat ex National and World Champs.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try to find a saddle you can put at -5, but still end up with your ass in the same place. I assume you've tried Adamo style saddles? cobb jof?

Then you can go to 80 and almost fit right!

rockdude wrote:
Mike,

What setback did you ride? I set up my bike at 0 setback and shortened my extensions to 75cm last week and man was I cramped with my knees hitting my elbows. At 6', meeting the 75cm rule is really tough.

Great job getting third. You beat ex National and World Champs.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack,

I currently use a Cobb V Flow and at zero setback when I am going hard, I find myself riding on the nose. What would be a better option .

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cobb JOF or Adamo *might* let your body end up in the same place at -5

Worth a try.

Not everyone can tolerate them however.

rockdude wrote:
Jack,

I currently use a Cobb V Flow and at zero setback when I am going hard, I find myself riding on the nose. What would be a better option .

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think wanting to slide forward is a natural result of already being in a forward position and really engaging your glutes and hamstrings. It doesn't mean you need to move your saddle forward. Actually moving it back would help, unless that causes bigger issues. If the saddle position is more relaxed, then gravity helps keep you in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any word on where Masters Road nationals will be next year? Repeat with Utah?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Wow, that's quite an improvement in his position just visually. It sure looks like that Adamo saddle really allowed him to "rotate" forward quite a bit.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, same spot again next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that a UCI legal frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Wow, that's quite an improvement in his position just visually. It sure looks like that Adamo saddle really allowed him to "rotate" forward quite a bit.

Is that a UCI legal frame in this year's pic?
Quote Reply

Prev Next