Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Masters Road Nationals?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone heard where Masters road nationals will be held for 2021? They were supposed to be in Utah but apparently that contract was canceled.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Road Nationals? [toomanycats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard either Watopia or Richmond.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Road Nationals? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
I heard either Watopia or Richmond.

There is a non-zero percent chance of that happening. :) I’m hoping for something live since it’s not until August.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both years at Cedar City were canceled? I thought it was just this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Road Nationals? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Both years at Cedar City were canceled? I thought it was just this year.

Both. Apparently Cedar City canceled the contract.

I just found a thread on trainer road where someone had asked the same question. Someone else said they had contacted USAC and that there was nothing certain yet and they were hoping to announce by the end of November, so hopefully we will hear soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its was my understanding that Cedar City didn't cancel this year, they were ready to go but rather USAC thought it was unsafe.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked Tara McCarthy if masters road nats will take place in 2021. She said she expects it to take place. She wouldn't disclose where or when at this time. She said she'll have information she can share by the end of the month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She made it sound as though the only thing that would stop masters nats would be covid.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Road Nationals? [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
Its was my understanding that Cedar City didn't cancel this year, they were ready to go but rather USAC thought it was unsafe.

That's certainly possible. My understanding was that they canceled the remainder of the contract - it was supposed to be in Cedar City 2020 and 2021 and it will not longer be there for 2021 now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any updates on this? Would be nice to have a date at least. Gotta get the work PTO arranged before my coworkers steal the slot. I'm probably too late as it is :(
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Road Nationals? [Tri2win352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard anything, either. I can only assume they're having trouble finding someone willing to host.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toomanycats wrote:
I haven't heard anything, either. I can only assume they're having trouble finding someone willing to host.

What, you mean cities everywhere aren't scrambling to host a few hundred crotchety old men (and like 3 women) for Cycling Nationals Fantasy Camp? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Road Nationals? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am woman, so make that 4 of us. :)

I think the host needs to find a good sponsor for it to not be a huge money losing proposition and I suspect that is a little more challenging these days!
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Road Nationals? [Tri2win352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just followed up with Tara McCarthy. No new information really, apparently there is an issue with a course and they can't disclose a date or location until that is worked out in case it all needs to be changed.

She is hoping to be able to announce something by the end of January.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for update!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any inside word yet, even ballpark date and location? Obviously I checked the website (daily) but nothing there yet.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Road Nationals? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the ballpark date is August, but I don't know anything else.

I emailed Tara McCarthy asking for an update (or at least an idea of when we might recieve an update) and will post once I hear back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
What, you mean cities everywhere aren't scrambling to host a few hundred crotchety old men (and like 3 women) for Cycling Nationals Fantasy Camp? :)

Nah, they instead jockey to host the illegal drafting and course cutting summit. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now she's saying hopefully end of February. This is getting ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trying to be patient, I know it is hard lining up a site etc especially in these times with restrictions, but....

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
trying to be patient, I know it is hard lining up a site etc especially in these times with restrictions, but....

x2. I'm never shy about anti-governing body criticism, but I'm giving USAC a full pass on this one. Permitting and insurance are a huge hassle in the best of times. They're a nightmare right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Mike Plumb wrote:

x2. I'm never shy about anti-governing body criticism, but I'm giving USAC a full pass on this one. Permitting and insurance are a huge hassle in the best of times. They're a nightmare right now.

I talked to a race organizer and he was saying he had to delay or postpone for this year. What us participants probably don't understand very well is that it takes a pretty sizeable chunk of change to organize a race. You have permit costs, port-a-potty resevations,.... These expenses are typically paid by the title sponsors, which more often than not are tourism and entertainment related. These guys have taken big hits in the last 12 months and the last thing they want to do with their limited resource is bankroll something that isn't going to happen or won't bring in much additional revenue. I think you need to look for sponsors that actually did OK during hte pandemic, like Amazon or Zwift, but I am sure everyone has the same idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and finally. Albuquerque, Aug. 5-8. (from USAC 'book post)
Last edited by: trail: May 18, 21 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
...and finally. Albuquerque, Aug. 5-8. (from USAC 'book post)

Any details?

This was sent by USAC 5 days ago: "For Masters Road, the expected host community was forced to withdraw due to COVID-19 impacts, and we immediately began working with other possible hosts. Fortunately, a promising host city stepped up early this year, and we have been working closely with them to ensure a safe and exciting experience."

Unlike every other state around, bike races are still cancelled in NM... so I figured the "expected host" might have been in NM...
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Road Nationals? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well their Twitter feed is saying if you want actual details you have to wait until May 26th. To just dump a date 12 weeks out and not provide any other details and expect people to just make it work is pretty lame.
Quote Reply

Prev Next