Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
in reality, i'm a BOPer. there is no amount of PED of any type that can change that fact. do you think i give a shit if you or anyone else thinks i'm a doper ? trust me, i don't. get a life.

Why do people at the back of the pack think the rules don't apply to them? Seriously. I see this all the time, mostly with drafting. People think that because they're not winning awards it doesn't matter if they cheat.

If you're taking testosterone without a TUE, you ARE a doper. It's not a matter of opinion.

the difference between me and those of you who live and die by the "rules" is that i live in reality, and reality is not absolute, it's not pure black and white. i'm 57, i take medically prescribed T to improve the quality of my life. and yes, i am aware that it is on the WADA banned substance list. given that fact, i'll agree that my use would constitute "doping", in the literal sense. in reality, i participate (i prefer to use that word instead of compete, because it's more accurate) in triathlons as a recreational activity, an end goal to attach to training /preparation. again, i finish waaay back in the pack, so anything i do or anything i ingest will have zero effect on anyone who is truly "competing". so, i'm not about to go to the effort of obtaining a TUE because it will influence nothing; if my T gets me into a "normal range" as far as my health and quality of life is concerned, i'm not gaining any advantage on anyone. so, yeah, in this particular circumstance, i am ignoring the rule regarding this substance. if this suggests to some of you that i am a cheat, you go right ahead and believe that, i really don't give a shit. further, to suggest that i "cheat" across the board, such as drafting, because i am slow and in the back of the pack, is being intellectually dishonest.

it's clear that some of you are hard-line anti-doping, period, and that's fine. now, how many of you same folks stop at EVERY stop sign, or commit some other traffic violation on occasion ? if so, nice for you. if not, then accept being a "rule-following" hypocrite and keep your righteous indignation to yourself.

What's your real name and what races are you signed up for?

They aren't "rules". They're rules. No air-quotes. You aren't "cheating". You are cheating. again, no air-quotes.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Oct 11, 17 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
in reality, i'm a BOPer. there is no amount of PED of any type that can change that fact. do you think i give a shit if you or anyone else thinks i'm a doper ? trust me, i don't. get a life.

Why do people at the back of the pack think the rules don't apply to them? Seriously. I see this all the time, mostly with drafting. People think that because they're not winning awards it doesn't matter if they cheat.

If you're taking testosterone without a TUE, you ARE a doper. It's not a matter of opinion.

the difference between me and those of you who live and die by the "rules" is that i live in reality, and reality is not absolute, it's not pure black and white. i'm 57, i take medically prescribed T to improve the quality of my life. and yes, i am aware that it is on the WADA banned substance list. given that fact, i'll agree that my use would constitute "doping", in the literal sense. in reality, i participate (i prefer to use that word instead of compete, because it's more accurate) in triathlons as a recreational activity, an end goal to attach to training /preparation. again, i finish waaay back in the pack, so anything i do or anything i ingest will have zero effect on anyone who is truly "competing". so, i'm not about to go to the effort of obtaining a TUE because it will influence nothing; if my T gets me into a "normal range" as far as my health and quality of life is concerned, i'm not gaining any advantage on anyone. so, yeah, in this particular circumstance, i am ignoring the rule regarding this substance. if this suggests to some of you that i am a cheat, you go right ahead and believe that, i really don't give a shit. further, to suggest that i "cheat" across the board, such as drafting, because i am slow and in the back of the pack, is being intellectually dishonest.

it's clear that some of you are hard-line anti-doping, period, and that's fine. now, how many of you same folks stop at EVERY stop sign, or commit some other traffic violation on occasion ? if so, nice for you. if not, then accept being a "rule-following" hypocrite and keep your righteous indignation to yourself.

Do the triathletes in your community know you dope?

If you truly don't give a shit...How about giving us your real name and the city you live in?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the dfference between me and those of you who live and die by the "rules" is that i live in reality, ... i'm not gaining any advantage on anyone. so, yeah, in this particular circumstance, i am ignoring the rule regarding this substance. if this suggests to some of you that i am a cheat, you go right ahead and believe that....

Sounds more like a distorted version of reality where you've convinced yourself you're not cheating because you don't think you're gaining an advantage. The rules are clear. You either get a TUE or you don't compete, or participate, or whatever you want to call it.

Quote:
to suggest that i "cheat" across the board, such as drafting, because i am slow and in the back of the pack, is being intellectually dishonest.

I didn't say you draft, just that I see a lot of people at the back of the pack justify breaking the rules (often drafting) because they're not competitive. The rules apply to everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
i'm not gaining any advantage on anyone. so, yeah, in this particular circumstance, i am ignoring the rule regarding this substance.

This is false. Stop saying it.

Just because you are "BOP" - however you define that - does not mean that it does not matter that you are finishing ahead of honest athletes in your age group. The entire point of entering a race is to compete, and people train and race - at least in part - to see where they stand. So you are taking something away from every person you finish in front of.

If you do not care about competing at all, just go out and do your own triathlon without an organized race.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It does beg the question of if they deserve to be able to supplement it to get up to normal levels. //

These don't exist so this argument is pointless..

Yeah, because nobody's ever lost a nut or two testicular cancer, or injuries, or had hormone issues. *pink*

Must be nice to go through life with perfect health all the time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice False Equivalency attempt. 3/10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the difference between me and those of you who live and die by the "rules" is that i live in reality, and reality is not absolute, it's not pure black and white. i'm 57, i take medically prescribed T to improve the quality of my life. and yes, i am aware that it is on the WADA banned substance list. given that fact, i'll agree that my use would constitute "doping", in the literal sense"

Holy shit I don't know what to do with this statement!

I really don't give a shit if you agree or not. I don't give a shit if you care or not. If you take T and compete, without having a TUE, in a sanctioned race....you are doping and cheating. Any other interpretation is garbage. Any rationalization of that is garbage. Your last argument is a special kind of garbage, and a logical mismash of complete buffoonery.

At 57, you ought to know and act a hell of a lot better. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello TriBriGuy and All,

"the difference between me and those of you who live and die by the "rules" is that i live in reality, and reality is not absolute, it's not pure black and white. i'm 57, i take medically prescribed T to improve the quality of my life. and yes, i am aware that it is on the WADA banned substance list. given that fact, i'll agree that my use would constitute "doping", in the literal sense"

I suggest ..... this is one of the reasons (among a spectrum of reasons) why we have rule enforcement ...... body fluid testing, biological passports, and so on.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
i re-read my post. i don't see anything that resembles a claim that using T (as a banned PERFORMANCE ENHANCING substance) doesn't apply to me.

I think this is the very definition of "intellectually dishonest." My understanding of WADA may be incorrect, but I believe that T is banned because it IS a performance enhancer.

It is not banned if only used as "performance enhancing"...which is what this post suggests.

It is ALWAYS banned and anyone using it without a TUE is, by definition: cheating. If you're cool with that, fine...but at least acknowledge that it's cheating.
Last edited by: smartyiak: Oct 11, 17 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am i the only one thinking this guy is a troll?
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am i the only one thinking this guy is a troll? //

The unfortunate reality that even if he is a troll, there are 100's out there that think exactly like him, and doing exactly what he is talking about. So troll or no troll(I actually believe him) the sad truth is that the anti aging doctors and drug companies have won a very big battle here in AG racing. Still remains to be seen if they win the war or not, another war on drugs???
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:
Am i the only one thinking this guy is a troll?

Nope ..... me too ...... and doing an excellent job of raising the collective blood pressure I might add.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
What a giant crock of bullshit
Ditto.

Rules is rules, agreed to by the competitors. Follow them or get them changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:

Holy shit I don't know what to do with this statement!

I really don't give a shit if you agree or not. I don't give a shit if you care or not. If you take T and compete, without having a TUE, in a sanctioned race....you are doping and cheating. Any other interpretation is garbage. Any rationalization of that is garbage. Your last argument is a special kind of garbage, and a logical mismash of complete buffoonery.

At 57, you ought to know and act a hell of a lot better. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

My sentiments exactly. I hope everybody reads this twice.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:
Ha. So supplementing testosterone increases energy levels, drive, muscle development yet no impact on race performance. We hear this so often and it's absurd. People are like oh, I just didn't have any energy to train. T allows me to train and race like a normal person. It does not give me any performance benefit. LOL.

Show me a single piece of research that shows that supplementing T back to age appropriate levels provides a distinct benefit over an athlete who is already at that level. (For example, your T drops to 200 due to pituitary issue and you supplement back to 650). Please find just one respected research article on this. I have looked and haven't been able to find it.

I get that you are emotionally involved in this as you feel people are cheating. But the evidence points to this being an epidemic level defined medical issue. And that treatment to within age appropriate levels does not provide any benefit over atheletes already at that level. The EVIDENCE says those things not me.

Your next argument will be "but they are getting a boost over their natural level of T". Yes, you are correct. But there is no evidence of that boost augmenting performance versus what their normal level should be. And we allow this same type of treatment for other medical issues. Example- Thyroid, Insulin, Dopamine, etc. All of these are legal to supplement back to age appropriate levels and all of them will negatively effectperformance when they are low and performance will increase when they reach normal levels. So what's the difference with Testosterone??

Insulin is needed to live. I am diabetic and would die without it
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Ralph20 wrote:
Ha. So supplementing testosterone increases energy levels, drive, muscle development yet no impact on race performance. We hear this so often and it's absurd. People are like oh, I just didn't have any energy to train. T allows me to train and race like a normal person. It does not give me any performance benefit. LOL.

Show me a single piece of research that shows that supplementing T back to age appropriate levels provides a distinct benefit over an athlete who is already at that level. (For example, your T drops to 200 due to pituitary issue and you supplement back to 650). Please find just one respected research article on this. I have looked and haven't been able to find it.

I get that you are emotionally involved in this as you feel people are cheating. But the evidence points to this being an epidemic level defined medical issue. And that treatment to within age appropriate levels does not provide any benefit over atheletes already at that level. The EVIDENCE says those things not me.

Your next argument will be "but they are getting a boost over their natural level of T". Yes, you are correct. But there is no evidence of that boost augmenting performance versus what their normal level should be. And we allow this same type of treatment for other medical issues. Example- Thyroid, Insulin, Dopamine, etc. All of these are legal to supplement back to age appropriate levels and all of them will negatively effectperformance when they are low and performance will increase when they reach normal levels. So what's the difference with Testosterone??

Insulin is needed to live. I am diabetic and would die without it

Well you'd be a lot slower if you were dead, wouldn't you? Cheater! /pink

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait wait wait. If I use insulin to literally stay alive, then I am doping? That’s the dumbest fucking thing I’ve ever heard. I must be taking my insulin wrong because other than keeping me alive I haven’t seen any performance enhancement from it. I suppose I would be slower if was dead.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
monty wrote:
It does beg the question of if they deserve to be able to supplement it to get up to normal levels. //

These don't exist so this argument is pointless..

Yeah, because nobody's ever lost a nut or two testicular cancer, or injuries, or had hormone issues. *pink*

Must be nice to go through life with perfect health all the time

On the off hand that I can help clarify:
1) There is no such thing as a "normal" testosterone level.
2) This means that each testosterone user gets to decide for themself what is "normal" for them.
3) It is not a "rule" if the participant gets to decide the parameters.

Let's illustrate..
"My testosterone was always much, much higher then everyone else's. I can't function with these low T problems that came on recently. "

Let's try the same argument with other rules.
"I find that I get less draft than others. So.... my doctor says I only have to give the rider in front of me 3 feet."

"I am naturally much heavier than everyone else. So...my doctor says running 10 miles for me, is like a marathon for a skinny fat athlete. So I should only have to run 10 miles."
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
Wait wait wait. If I use insulin to literally stay alive, then I am doping? That’s the dumbest fucking thing I’ve ever heard. I must be taking my insulin wrong because other than keeping me alive I haven’t seen any performance enhancement from it. I suppose I would be slower if was dead.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2500251/
Insulin effects on anthropometry, strength, and exercise performance
Glucose metabolism significantly increased following exogenous insulin in trained athletes. V̇O2 peak also significantly increased (Sato et al 1986).
Insulin’s anabolic actions are believed to improve performance, by increasing protein synthesis (Bonadonna et al 1993; Kimball et al 1994) and inhibiting protein catabolism and enhancing transport of selected amino acids in human skeletal muscle (Biolo et al 1995). Physiological hyperinsulinemia stimulates the activity of amino acid transport in human skeletal muscle, thereby stimulating protein synthesis (Bonadonna et al 1993).
Insulin-treated diabetics are known to have increased lean body mass versus controls (Sinha et al 1996). In addition to its role in regulating glucose metabolism, insulin increases amino acid transport into cells. Its stimulation of lipogenesis, and diminished lipolysis, is one of the reasons why bodybuilders and athletes will take rhGH in conjunction, to counteract this adverse effect, whilst optimizing protein synthesis (Sonksen 2001).
It is the inhibition of proteolysis that the athlete is interested in and the physiology of the diabetic patient has been extrapolated by the athlete to the sporting arena. Insulin administration is protein anabolic in the insulin-resistant state of chronic renal failure. It inhibits proteolysis and when administered with amino-acids, it increases net protein synthesis (Lim et al 2003).
The administration of exogenous insulin, establishes an in-vivo hyperinsulinemic clamp, increasing muscle glycogen before and in the recovery stages of strenuous exercise. This may increase power, strength, and stamina and assist in recovery from strenuous exercise.
Secondly, by inhibiting muscle protein breakdown and in conjunction with a high protein and high carbohydrate diet, insulin will have the action of increasing muscle bulk, potentially improving performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and yet every type 1 worldwide would gladly give up all these supposed benefits to have their pancreas working again, I assure you.

Plus that study talks about taking exogenous insulin - but it doesn't say for diabetics who don't produce any. In fact the study would probably be looking at people who produce their own insulin but are adding more insulin.

Trust me, there is no benefit when your out on a bike riding for miles in a race and your thinking what your blood sugar is, how much carbs you can take, how much to inject etc. You try sit up, stop pedalling and coast, whip out a needle and jab your thigh then put it all back away, just so you can eat something.

Or every run you have top take a running belt chocked full of some form of carbs...

Or mid swim in a 70.3, you have to tread water and take out a gel and down it in the middle of the ocean, and just hope that's enough to get you to T1

Yeh nah, ill pass on all these benfits it gives ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
and yet every type 1 worldwide would gladly give up all these supposed benefits to have their pancreas working again, I assure you.

I don't doubt that for a second.

coates_hbk wrote:
Plus that study talks about taking exogenous insulin - but it doesn't say for diabetics who don't produce any. In fact the study would probably be looking at people who produce their own insulin but are adding more insulin.

Actually, no.

"Insulin-treated diabetics are known to have increased lean body mass versus controls (Sinha et al 1996). "
"It is the inhibition of proteolysis that the athlete is interested in and the physiology of the diabetic patient has been extrapolated by the athlete to the sporting arena."

coates_hbk wrote:
Trust me, there is no benefit when your out on a bike riding for miles in a race and your thinking what your blood sugar is, how much carbs you can take, how much to inject etc. You try sit up, stop pedalling and coast, whip out a needle and jab your thigh then put it all back away, just so you can eat something.

Or every run you have top take a running belt chocked full of some form of carbs...

Or mid swim in a 70.3, you have to tread water and take out a gel and down it in the middle of the ocean, and just hope that's enough to get you to T1

Yeh nah, ill pass on all these benfits it gives ;)

Listen, I completely understand all of that and I would never be so callous as to suggest that diabetics are dopers. My initial post in this thread was simply a question - is it possible to have an unemotional discussion on the subject so that folks that are admittedly ignorant on certain aspects of this debate (such as myself) can better understand the issues. I posed a hypothetical question. Unfortunately, the answer appears to be that no, it is not possible to have an unemotional discussion on this topic on this forum. No worries. I'm not intellectually curious enough on the topic to wade further in to this mess. Apologies to any I may have offended with my question.
Last edited by: jkatsoudas: Oct 11, 17 21:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but does an increase in lean body mass = an increase in performance for diabetics? generally as a type 1 diabetic, if you inject more insulin, it means you are eating more. if you don't eat more, or treat the hypo, you die. so it stands to reason that a type 1 diabetic will gain weight from injecting more insulin. whether that has performance enhancing benefits for a diabetic remains to be seen.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
but does an increase in lean body mass = an increase in performance for diabetics? generally as a type 1 diabetic, if you inject more insulin, it means you are eating more. if you don't eat more, or treat the hypo, you die. so it stands to reason that a type 1 diabetic will gain weight from injecting more insulin. whether that has performance enhancing benefits for a diabetic remains to be seen.

Those are great questions. I have no idea. I was simply looking for some thoughtful discussion. Having read through this whole thread, there have been some good points made, and there has been a lot of mud slung, so I'm just going to sit over there, on the sideline and watch this one. Again, apologies to any I may have offended with my question.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello seeyouincourt and All,

I understand that you need insulin to live ..... but if you do not have a TUE you may need to get one to be legal to race in venues subscribing to WADA, USADA, NCAA, and other rules .... and may want to check it out if you have not done so already.

I see on the WADA prohibited list INSULINS , AND INSULIN-MIMETICS under S4 Hormones and metabolic modulators.

Being prescribed Insulin it would seem you are eligible for a TUE with a note from your doctor.

And following the stream of consciousness .........Insulin is in the news as a rumor cause of death of Rich Piana:

https://www.menshealth.com/...-rumors-bodybuilding

Excerpt:

"The exact cause of his death has yet to be determined, but that certainly hasn’t stopped people from speculating about potential causes. First, there were reports that an overdose might have been to blame. Now, there are rumors that Piana might have died from using insulin, the hormone that regulates your body's blood sugar. People who inject insulin and who already produce the hormone naturally can see their blood glucose levels drop dangerously low—and if they don't ingest additional sugar to bring their blood glucose back up, the consequences can be fatal."

I think the writing is "Whatever It Takes"

seeyouincourt wrote:

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Oct 11, 17 21:39
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Doping, Episode 738 [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anybody has the time to read:

Took just One attempt at Google:

https://www.usada.org/wp-content/uploads/TUE_guidance_diabetes_mellitus-insulin.pdf

Sucks that you have to declare, but at least it is clearcut that you are good to race with it.

Otherwise, guys in their late midlife crisis trying to fool themselves into beating ageing, the competition and the reaper by taking Testo, just make me sad.

It takes a man to age gracefully.

Quote Reply

Prev Next