Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mask mandate lifted in US
Quote | Reply
For fully vaxxed. Does this mean IM adjusts it's return to racing protocols and will the odds of Kona happening increase?
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there's a thread for his! (I've been afraid to enter it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
For fully vaxxed. Does this mean IM adjusts it's return to racing protocols and will the odds of Kona happening increase?

Your confusing the CDC’s mask “recommendations” with a “mandate”. Wayyyyyy different lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually he’s not confused. When the POTUS says that you don5 have to wear a mask, then the mask mandate is over.
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [jwrdds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwrdds wrote:
Actually he’s not confused. When the POTUS says that you don5 have to wear a mask, then the mask mandate is over.

That’s actually not correct. The POTUS saying you had to wear a mask definitely did not mean you had to wear a mask. Lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom line is this in the USA:

More races will be open this summer (some of the blue states will still hold out). All of them will be open in the fall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, technically POTUS saying you had to wear a mask definitely meant you had to wear a mask on federally controlled property/buildings, but not anywhere else unless a state/local leader made a similar order.
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
Well, technically POTUS saying you had to wear a mask definitely meant you had to wear a mask on federally controlled property/buildings, but not anywhere else unless a state/local leader made a similar order.

And this is exactly why we were such a colossal turd during this pandemic. Nobody really knows anything. From the beginning we had NO leadership. It was such a freaking mess.

Going forward, we need concrete plans on how to respond during a pandemic. But we won't. We will be a colossal turd in the next pandemic as well. MURICA!!!! FREEDOM!!!!

Last edited by: Economist: May 14, 21 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The US will always be a disaster to any adversity. Half of the population bases their public actions on simply saying "no" to everything in the name of "freedum" and jesus. We are completely incapable of moving forward together as a society. I'll show myself to the lavender room now....
Last edited by: ADabs: May 14, 21 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, science moves quick.

Newsom in early March - double mask ya'll because Abbott and DeSantis made counter narrative moves. Then the recall materializes - and suddenly we good, not even 2 months later.
Rachel Walensky on Monday - up to 10% of infections happen outdoors, and oh those immunocompromised school teachers! Also Rachel Walensky on Thursday - we good, masks no longer recommended, immunocompromised school teachers can go fuck themselves.

Maybe it should have been - damn science moves quick.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:

And this is exactly why we were such a colossal turd during this pandemic. Nobody really knows anything. From the beginning we had NO leadership. It was such a freaking mess.

Going forward, we need concrete plans on how to respond during a pandemic. But we won't. We will be a colossal turd in the next pandemic as well. MURICA!!!! FREEDOM!!!!

1000% true

Imagine if this virus was even more deadly where if you caught it you simply die. We would be doomed in the US for sure after seeing how huge swaths of the country behaved during this current pandemic.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
Economist wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:

1000% true

Imagine if this virus was even more deadly where if you caught it you simply die. We would be doomed in the US for sure after seeing how huge swaths of the country behaved during this current pandemic.

Reminds me of that meme that came out during the pandemic. It said that if a zombie movie is going to be realistic it must have 50% of the people denying there is a zombie apocalypse but don’t realize they are wrong until they are killed by a zombie.

This pandemic has shown how selfish we are as a society. People fighting over TP. Can you imagine the carnage of food or water ever get compromised. OMG we are doomed.

Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
Economist wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:

1000% true

well only sort of... depending upon if you were able to be a spreader during the period between being infected and dying. Once dead one assumes the spreading is over and those who do not follow health orders are less likely to escape the wrath of the disease... so deadly sort of takes care of things itself.

A worse case would be a highly infectious disease, where asymptomatic spread was possible, and a high percentage of those infected end up with long term serious health consequences. That would really screw any country that could not follow the public health rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
Economist wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:

1000% true

Reminds me of that meme that came out during the pandemic. It said that if a zombie movie is going to be realistic it must have 50% of the people denying there is a zombie apocalypse but don’t realize they are wrong until they are killed by a zombie.

This pandemic has shown how selfish we are as a society. People fighting over TP. Can you imagine the carnage of food or water ever get compromised. OMG we are doomed.

It's been predicted that humanity will be fighting over food and water when the population hits 10 billion around 2050. But I better stop here before I get booted to the LR. Some good conversations on this topic over there :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:

From what I've read, we might actually be in a better place (note the last few paragraphs of this LA Times article on SARS v. Covid). Part of what made this virus so difficult was how many people got it, but felt mildly sick or not sick at all, and so were able to spread it. People who get very sick and die aren't the ones spreading it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, it's so bad here, it makes you wish you were living in any of those countries whose leadership provided so much better results - like Italy or Spain, or France, or Canada! Ha, ha, ha. Oh wait, they are still on lockdown.
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkwave wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

From what I've read, we might actually be in a better place (note the last few paragraphs of this LA Times article on SARS v. Covid). Part of what made this virus so difficult was how many people got it, but felt mildly sick or not sick at all, and so were able to spread it. People who get very sick and die aren't the ones spreading it.

Yea this. The first SARS was quite deadly. So deadly, and very symptomatic, that containing it was easier. This new one is a bit of a perfect storm of a virus. It's deadly, but not deadly enough, and its incubation period is long enough to allow it to spread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:

Not sure about the POTUS thing. A business can refuse service if you don’t follow their rules. A local leader cannot mandate you to wear a mask. It’s not the law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:

A local leader cannot mandate you to wear a mask. It’s not the law.

That's simply not true as a blanket statement. In my state at least, there's statutory backing that makes the governor's executive orders related to public health enforceable. At the end of the day, if your legislature has passed a statute that allows executive orders to be binding when relating to states of emergency, those executive orders are the law. The only possible argument is whether a public health emergency falls under the definition of a general state of emergency for your locale, and that would depend on how the statute is written.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:

A local leader cannot mandate you to wear a mask. It’s not the law.

That's simply not true as a blanket statement. In my state at least, there's statutory backing that makes the governor's executive orders related to public health enforceable. At the end of the day, if your legislature has passed a statute that allows executive orders to be binding when relating to states of emergency, those executive orders are the law. The only possible argument is whether a public health emergency falls under the definition of a general state of emergency for your locale, and that would depend on how the statute is written.

+1.. if all states demask and HI still wants to keep their restrictions.. they can. So it's up to HI whether Kona happens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
Economist wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:

1000% true

Wait until we are starting fighting over gas!
You haven’t seen anything yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, CDC specifically said

“except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.”

It is power of persuasion and influence, not law.

That being said, Michigan adjusted within a day to mostly match. For better or worse Steelhead is looking much better for me.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:

Your confusing the CDC’s mask “recommendations” with a “mandate”. Wayyyyyy different lol.

Thank you for understanding the difference. I not here to comment about whether we should. But, I’m glad at least one person understands that this is nothing more than a recommendation, albeit from a very influential group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:

Not sure about the POTUS thing. A business can refuse service if you don’t follow their rules. A local leader cannot mandate you to wear a mask. It’s not the law.

No, no, no. Please understand This is just wrong. But, I get it. This is so reflective of why people confuse the various orders/mandates/recommendations etc.

Here’s the hierarchy....Fed law/state law/county law (ordinance, order etc.)/city ordinance/private establishment rules. I won’t get into preemption arguments, but generally, think of it that fed law sets a floor but not a ceiling for regulation. understand there’s a HUGE difference between a body higher up in that hierarchy saying you “don’t have to wear a mask” and “you can’t wear a mask/requiring persons to wear a mask is illegal”. Absent an enforceable law from someone higher up the food chain, generally speaking, those lower on the food chain (including a private establishment) can continue to require mask wearing

Forget the pandemic. Did you ever think that because the feds don’t have a law that doesn’t say “no shirt, no shoes, no service” that a private establishment couldn’t have such a rule? Did you ever question before the pandemic that a county or city can’t regulate traffic laws? It’s similar here. Of course the private establishment can have its own rules and a locality can add additional regulation so long as it’s not inconsistent with fed law. But again, I’m generalizing as I can’t cover every legal hypothetical here!

For these reasons, the title to this thread is severely misleading.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 15, 21 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Mask mandate lifted in US [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Canada. never locked down. have swam at the pool since Sept, we have rules but we also have never closed business unless they have an outbreak. My brother lives in the US. Were he lives has had harder restrictions then were I live in Canada.

My kids went to school June 1- till now full school opening never closed. His were online till Feb 2021.

Your government is a cluster as are many as trying to make rules for a huge land mass is kind of stupid when some are not effected. Like telling all to brace for a storm when it isn't in their district.

Not a covid thing but more people see what they want to make they seem better ,all over the world.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next