Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Boardman broke Merckx's record on a 'standard' bike in Manchester.

And Sosenka beat Boardman's record in Moscow.

It's interesting to see how the record progressed in the 60s. Ritter went to altitude first, but he still didn't beat the "lowly" Bracke by that much. One could argue that Ritter and Merckx should both have asterisks next to their names, because their records were at altitude, and that Bracke is the guy we should have been honoring for decades. ;

30 October 1967
Ferdi Bracke Olympic Velodrome, Rome 48.093 746 10 October 1968 Ole Ritter Mexico City 48.653 560 25 October 1972 Eddy Merckx Mexico City 49.431 778

In the "open" class, Moser beat Merckx at the Mexico City track, then Obree beat Moser at sea level. No one set a record at altitude after that. Rominger went an amazing 55.291km on a steel frame and standard (tri) position in France. Then Boardman shattered that with a 56.375km in Manchester using a more high tech approach.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Who was busted for doping. Twice.

As much as I worshipped Rominger back in the day, his close association with Ferrari is as good a smoking gun as you'll get.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally home and somewhat rested before Tour of Denmark that starts tomorrow. Looong way home from Mexico, especially when your last flight gets cancelled and you have to wait 12 hours in Munic airport for the next flight.

I wasn't too lucky with the resurfacing of the track that seemingly increased Crr from ~0.002 to 0.003-0.0035. Along with more altitude-related decrease in power than anticipated it became a little too tall an ask to go 54.5+ km. I'll let Rob Van Houweling keep an eye on the Crr going forward and might go again in Aguascalientes if it 'returns to normal'.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough day, but pretty special position to be in to even be a contender for this beast!
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about track conditions. One of those things that is not as controllable as you would think.

Good luck at Tour of Denmark (and World's this fall).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Martin..A big congratulations for your performance ! And an even bigger one for your effort. I'm sorry that you didn't get BW's record.
Those last 30 mins must have been extraordinarily painful. I applaud your effort to stick it out and almost ride a 54!
Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for letting us in on your experience, Martin! Was great to follow and cheer you on. Just being in a position to try something like that would be a dream for many of us. I hope you give it another go. There's always a bit of a learning curve. Based on my calculations "good" Crr would have made the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
I wasn't too lucky with the resurfacing of the track that seemingly increased Crr from ~0.002 to 0.003-0.0035.

Martin, that is huge! Sorry about the situation. You would have done better to have done the Attempt in Colorado Springs but you just did know how bad it was going to be.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you are saying that CS is currently faster than AQ?
I would like to know what facts that you have to base this statement on?
What Crr numbers are you using for AQ and CO if you know that CS is currently faster?

Thanks In Advance
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
So you are saying that CS is currently faster than AQ?
I would like to know what facts that you have to base this statement on?
What Crr numbers are you using for AQ and CO if you know that CS is currently faster?

Thanks In Advance

I have not tested at both tracks with the same tires, temperature, tire pressure etc. but I have tested at CS several time and have a good feel for the Crr.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
I have not tested at both tracks with the same tires, temperature, tire pressure etc. but I have tested at CS several time and have a good feel for the Crr.

Colorado Springs is certainly a smooth track, at least for concrete.

That said, the absolute value you derive for Crr based on field testing is strongly dependent upon how you collect and analyze the data. I would therefore be hesitant to compare Crr values across tracks unless the data were collected and analyzed exactly the same way, ideally by the same individual using the same equipment (as you suggest above).

(BTW, when Armstrong was contemplating an attempt on the hour I was contacted by a member of his inner circle, to see which track I thought was the fastest. My suggestion was that cheapest way to answer the question was to send one person on an around-the-world junket to do exactly as described above.)
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
rruff wrote:

Who was busted for doping. Twice.

As much as I worshipped Rominger back in the day, his close association with Ferrari is as good a smoking gun as you'll get.

I'm fairly sure Ferrari was on trackside for his record.

Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew.. supposing that the Crr of both tracks is currently similar... would the ease of the banking make CO potentially faster? I train on an outdoor track ( 250m with similar banking to AQ)...and it seems that removing that significant force twice every lap could be helpful?
Thanks
Ron..my apologies for using your thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
Andrew.. supposing that the Crr of both tracks is currently similar... would the ease of the banking make CO potentially faster? I train on an outdoor track ( 250m with similar banking to AQ)...and it seems that removing that significant force twice every lap could be helpful?
Thanks
Ron..my apologies for using your thread.

I think the „force“ depends only on the curve radius and the speed and not the banking angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
Andrew.. supposing that the Crr of both tracks is currently similar... would the ease of the banking make CO potentially faster?

I think the conventional opinion is that a good wooden track has lower Crr than concrete. But I don't know if that is because of surface quality, or material. You also gain a small advantage on a shorter track in that your CG travels a shorter distance. But this is coming from someone who has never been on a velodrome and is relying on a fuzzy memory, so....
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting read here about Dr. Ferrari's collaboration with Rominger to get the record. Written by the doctor himself. In fact his whole website is quite interesting with many detailed articles. Keep in mind Rominger went 735m farther than Wiggins. Luckily for the UCI he used 2 wheel sizes which enabled them to annul his record when the whole hour record thing was reset in 2014.

https://www.53x12.com/...=50&page=article
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen it before but omg Indurain's power. 509 watts.
The appliance of "science".
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure! Incredible the human body could do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
I've seen it before but omg Indurain's power. 509 watts.

Unfortunately aero like a brick. Indurain just bludgeoned the air into submission.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
You also gain a small advantage on a shorter track in that your CG travels a shorter distance. But this is coming from someone who has never been on a velodrome and is relying on a fuzzy memory, so....

Aren't there some trade-offs there? The Cg travels a shorter distance, but the bank turn also creates significant forces that increase Crr (bike gets pushed into the track) during the turn, and the body also has to constantly adjust to brace against the constantly changing forces.

I tend to find 333m tracks more relaxing than 250m. On 250m at >30MPH speed you have to look through the turns and brace the body. It feels like a roller coaster every ~10 seconds. 333m you don't have to look through the turn nearly as much to hold a line, and it just feels easier to me.

I can't comment on speed/energy/Cg-distance differences. That's just my perception.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 2, 18 19:17
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on this one.
The pain in the left quad doing efforts at >30mph on the black line on a 250m was something I had never experienced on a 333m.
Training on a weekly or twice weekly basis has resolved the issue somewhat but it is still a force to be reckoned with...thus my question to Andrew.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He just posted on Facebook that he'll be doing another attempt, but to break Bjerg's Danish record at the same location Bjerg did it at
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw it as well. Nice little competition going on with the Danish record.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Just saw it as well. Nice little competition going on with the Danish record.

Happening in 44min. Martin thought this site might be live streaming: https://forside.play.tv2.dk/ Looks like you have to pay to use it. Seems like it would be here though: http://sport.tv2.dk/cykling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't get this to play at work. Should have worked from home today.
Quote Reply

Prev Next