Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to the UCI Youtube page. Martin's attempt will begin streaming (with commentary by Molly VH) in roughly 2 hours.

Good luck MTM! #Gofastturnleft

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck Martin!!

Will be watching today!
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Here is a link to the UCI Youtube page. Martin's attempt will begin streaming (with commentary by Molly VH) in roughly 2 hours.

Good luck MTM! #Gofastturnleft

Thanks for the link. I'll be watching. Best of luck, Martin!!!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

Thanks Chris! Little over an hour to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
53.619 km, 2nd best ever (and new Danish record). Great ride MTM!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dammit! They cut the feed right at the english interview.

Last half looked brutal. Hell of a ride. I wonder if power was less than expected or it was something on the demand side. I don't think going to altitude is quite as advantageous as many believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:

Damn Impressive. My feed kept freezing up.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Last half looked brutal. Hell of a ride. I wonder if power was less than expected or it was something on the demand side. I don't think going to altitude is quite as advantageous as many believe.

as he said in the interview he started out a bit faster as he wanted, and i think you could see just before the 30 min makr he started to pay for It . i think he had at least 54 k in him.
i think like with everything it depends on the individual for some it works better than for others. the thing is working full time its hard to get enough time to acclamatise for it.
anyway impressive stuff and iam sure he will try again .
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very impressive ride MTM!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still a huge effort.

Honestly, I think people who finish hour attempts once they are too far behind to get the record are the hardest guys in the sport. Mentally that is so difficult (in my own, way less fast experience at least)

In an hour, if you're really close to the current record you have a huge risk of going too deep too early, and that's something that's impossible to recover from. There's not really anything you can do about that, because you have to ride at least a certain pace (if you're right on the record you can't really expect to lift towards the end) Ideally you'd ride absolutely perfect laps to your planned schedule, but in practice that's very hard to do.

Great effort, now rest up and give us a play by play Martin!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Rob Van Houweling told me that he thought that the refinishing of the track make it about 10 watts slower. He and Molly have been down there doing some testing for an attempt that she plans later in the year.

Altitude is much faster. Given that he went close to 2km farther than his previous record I'd guess that MTM agrees also.

Also, from what Molly said in her commentary it was overcast that day and cooler at the start than what he was shooting for. That leads me to believe that the air density was probably a bit higher than he was hoping for.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
as he said in the interview he started out a bit faster as he wanted

He says he started "too hard" but that he needed to in order to beat the record. No point in showing up and pacing at a rate that would leave him 300m short. I think that means the record pace was too hard for him physically, not that he went harder than he planned. He could have gone >54 with an easier start, but that wasn't why he was there.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Altitude is much faster. Given that he went close to 2km farther than his previous record I'd guess that MTM agrees also.

He actually went <1.4km farther. With ideal pacing he might have been close to 2km. But based on projections he expected to beat Wiggins, else I don't think he would have gone. If the sanded track is a 10W loss at that speed, it's a pretty big hit on a guy who is fast more from reducing demand than from the supply side. That would account for 0.6-0.7km, so that would do it.

At >6k feet I don't really get why you'd want to reduce air density further with *heat*. Particularly if you aren't well acclimated, the reduction of oxygen just about negates the air resistance gain. And if your power output is negatively effected by the heat then you are losing.
Last edited by: rruff: Jul 26, 18 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:

And someone updated the Wikipedia page already. Always amazes me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...ed_hour_record_(2014–present)

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
pk wrote:

He says he started "too hard" but that he needed to in order to beat the record. No point in showing up and pacing at a rate that would leave him 300m short. I think that means the record pace was too hard for him physically, not that he went harder than he planned. He could have gone >54 with an easier start, but that wasn't why he was there.

i guess nobody thought it would be easy ...
i mean at the end of the day wigigns was a top track cyclist and time trialer . and i guess lack of velodrom time was maybe as much of a factor than not having it physially ( maybe not his best day either as he did not look too comfortable on the bike at times)

still 2nd fastest time for full time working athlete...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
pk wrote:

It seems like he did this with not that much time at altitude either. Congrats Martin! Sorry I missed the live feed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
still 2nd fastest time for full time working athlete...

Definitely impressive! I hope he gives it another shot. I know Molly keeps getting faster every time she goes, so there is a learning curve.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It seems like he did this with not that much time at altitude either.

I haven't been paying very close attention - how did he attempt to pre-acclimatize? (Did he attempt to pre-acclimatize?)

(I did hypoxic workouts 3 d/wk for 12 wk before each of my trips to Moriarty. Based on tracking my ventilation during exercise, I achieved most of the benefit during the first half, but there was some further adaptation right up until the end. Unfortunately, lifestyle and equipment constraints meant that I couldn't keep increasing the stimulus. In the end, I performed no better than expected on average at that altitude, but given that I experience mild-to-moderate EIAH even at sea level, I consider the protocol I worked out to be effective.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I know Molly keeps getting faster every time she goes, so there is a learning curve.

Didja here her say they wouldn't let her inside, and she had to do her commentary watching her laptop like the rest of us, from the truck outside

That was weird

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
I haven't been paying very close attention - how did he attempt to pre-acclimatize? (Did he attempt to pre-acclimatize?)

Yes, altitude tent for some weeks, plus training in the alps. Molly commented that his coach was well versed in how to acclimate for altitude. But I think this is new to Martin; not something he has done before.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Erasing records and invalidating tracks just seems like a bad idea to me. Now if they want a "Gentleman' Record", they could agree to running a Merkx record. Make the altitude and equipment as close the Merkx as is reasonable and see what happens. If the "Gentlemen" feel like dethroning the legend than they can have at on similar terms.

Boardman broke Merckx's record on a 'standard' bike in Manchester.

You'd think the UCI could just make it simple & say the Hour Record must be attempted below 1000m ASL.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Erasing records and invalidating tracks just seems like a bad idea to me. Now if they want a "Gentleman' Record", they could agree to running a Merkx record. Make the altitude and equipment as close the Merkx as is reasonable and see what happens. If the "Gentlemen" feel like dethroning the legend than they can have at on similar terms.

Boardman broke Merckx's record on a 'standard' bike in Manchester.

You'd think the UCI could just make it simple & say the Hour Record must be attempted below 1000m ASL.
How is that simple? It rules out lots of people's local tracks. Also, Aguascalientes is mostly unused and is cheap. That's why all the amateurs go there -- it's not just because it's fast. Does it make sense to outlaw the cheap option for a lot of people? Also, even if you restricted altitude, some tracks are still faster than others due to their shape, length, surface, and weather conditions, so you don't get rid of the problem. There would still be a "go to" track for the record. It would just be somewhere else.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You see, you just made it all complicated.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, he simply pointed out the flaws in your argument.
Quote Reply
Re: Martin Toft Madsen (MTM on ST) gunning for Wiggins' UCI World Hour Record on July 26 in Aguascalientes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
No, he simply pointed out the flaws in your argument.

Which is usually what makes the discussion complicated;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next